PDA

View Full Version : Best exterior trim/tire dressing?

Sonic Pilot
09-23-2018, 10:22 PM
Sorry for asking such a vague question. I'm sure I could spend hours researching and form my own opinion. Just trying to see if a consensus already exists on which products currently offer the best value as technology is constantly advancing. The 4 criteria I am most interested at this point are:
1. Darkening effect (for black trim)
2. Shine quality
3. Longevity
4. No streaking

Keep in mind I am looking for a "dressing" and not a formal "coating."
In the category of longevity, it must be able to tolerate at least 2 or 3 car washes or rain events.

Am I looking for a unicorn, or are there some decent product choices out there?

The Guz
09-24-2018, 12:50 AM
Well unfortunately there is no best. You are going to get a lot of recommendations for products so be ready to research and make a decision.

You want something good then there are products such as these that work well

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
McKee's Trim Restorer

If you need to restore some trim then Solution Finish would be the way to go. You can top it with something else like WETS.

As far as tire products most water based tire dressing will last about a few weeks. I use these two more often than not if not using an actual tire coating.

CarPro Perl
Gyeon Tire Coating (not an actual coating)

mats
09-24-2018, 01:43 AM
For tyres I have used Meguairs Endurance Tyre Gel for years. When applied with a sponge or similar I get a deep black and matte finish. For exterior black trim details I think that Meguairs Ultimate Protectant is very good.

TTQ B4U
09-24-2018, 05:49 AM
GYEON Q2 Trim for the plastic molding and trim. Will darken it up if it's not already in need of restoration (extremely bad) and it will stay that way for months on end. I love WETS and it offers the same look but it only lasts a few weeks. I use it when customers don't go with Q2 Trim.

Tire wise, I'll be honest, I've yet to find anything that lasts and lasts. Coatings are good but are picky about a FULLY cleaned tire and even then, they do diminish noticeably over time compared to a freshly dressed on. It's the nature of a tire and the flexing/motion and heat of it all.

FUNX650
09-24-2018, 06:50 AM
The 4 criteria I am most interested
at this point are:
1. Darkening effect (for black trim)
2. Shine quality
3. Longevity
4. No streaking

Keep in mind I am looking for a
"dressing" and not a formal "coating."

In the category of longevity, it must be
able to tolerate at least 2 or 3 car washes