PDA

View Full Version : How to best remove light/moderate scratches from rubber window seal...

Sonic Pilot
09-21-2018, 06:10 PM
What are some methods I should try to remove some light/moderate scratches from a firm rubber window seal?

PaulMys
09-21-2018, 06:28 PM
In my experience, you can never remove scratches from rubber. Or plastic.

Sonic Pilot
09-21-2018, 06:47 PM
In my experience, you can never remove scratches from rubber. Or plastic.

Hello PaulMys,

I think I got most of them! I just now gently experimented with using a 3M Scotchbrite pad. I used linear motions and light pressure. It seemed to work.

PaulMys
09-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Hello PaulMys,

I think I got most of them! I just now gently experimented with using a 3M Scotchbrite pad. I used linear motions and light pressure. It seemed to work.

Wow, good for you. (Seriously, not smart ass) Do you have any pics?

Like I said, I've never had any luck doing this, but I might not be understanding exactly what you are working on......

Farmallluvr
09-21-2018, 07:00 PM
I've used a magic eraser pads to remove scuffs and wax residue from rubber and plastic,,sometines I get the pad damp with clay lube and it seems to work pretty well/

A guy I know uses laquer thinner,,it works very well but I can't help to think that it would dry out the rubber tremendously

Sonic Pilot
09-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Wow, good for you. (Seriously, not smart ass) Do you have any pics?

Like I said, I've never had any luck doing this, but I might not be understanding exactly what you are working on......

I could get a pic or two. But without a "before" pic, it is hard to see the difference. The seal is actually more of a trim piece on the outside of the drivers door, at the bottom of the window. Not the very thin rubber that actually contacts the window, but a supporting "trim" piece.

If I had to guess, it looks like the previous owner, with the window all the way down, might have been resting their arm on the window sill, while wearing a watch or bracelet causing some scratching.

PaulMys
09-21-2018, 07:57 PM
I could get a pic or two. But without a "before" pic, it is hard to see the difference. The seal is actually more of a trim piece on the outside of the drivers door, at the bottom of the window. Not the very thin rubber that actually contacts the window, but a supporting "trim" piece.

If I had to guess, it looks like the previous owner, with the window all the way down, might have been resting their arm on the window sill, while wearing a watch or bracelet causing some scratching.

Ok, I gotcha.

Glad you had success!

Sonic Pilot
09-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Ok, I gotcha.

Glad you had success!

Thanks,

Once i a while is nice huh...