PDA

View Full Version : newbie detailing question

Nineteen86
09-18-2018, 12:15 AM
hi, my name is jason and im new to the detailing world. i just pick up a torkx10 da polisher. before aquiring the da polisher i did everything by hand, which suck balls. now with my new da polisher im excited to start on my new detailing experience. before i start i have several newbie question to ask.

i have serveral poducts on hand and with these products if it possible to achieve that wet glossy look ?

compounds :

- chemical guys v32, v34, v36

- meguiars ultimate compound, polish and wax

- klasse aoi . klasse high gooss sealant

- orange pad x5
- white pad x 4
- black pad x 3

drying towels , micofiber towels and bunch of other small buffing towels and pads .

2nd, i did alot of research on which products will help me achieve my goal. if i added these products below, will they help or its a waste of money.

- chmical guys wet mirror finish or meguiars #7 mirror show car glaze

- black fire wet diamond sealant

3rd question, will the set up i have below work or i have it all wrong . any suggestion to point me into the right direction would help. thank you, looking forward to hearing everyones advice .

car colour - infinite g37 gray metallic

1 - two bucket car wash : meguiar glod claasic shampoo with chemical guys all purpose degresser

2 - clay bar

3 - compound with orange pad : meguiars ultimate compound or chemical guys v36 optical grade cutting polish

4 - polish with white pad : meguiars ultimate polish or chemical guys v38 final polish

5 - glaze by hand with black pad : meguiars # 7 or chemical guys wet gloss NOTE - i have not purchase these products yet

i know meguiars #7 have alot oils so im not sure what sealant would work and that why my 2nd choice was cg wet gloss

6 - black fire wet diamond with black pad ( have not purchase this item yet )

7 - klasse high gloss sealant by hand ( using this to seal in the black fire wet diamond

8 - wax with black pad : meguiars ultimate liquid wax ( not sure if i need this since im alredy applying klaase high gloss)

Desertnate
09-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Here are my two cents.

I don't know much about the Chemical Guys polishes/compounds but they dont' seem to be very well liked here. I have used the Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Compounds on cars with soft paint and they work pretty well. The are great products to learn polishing and then move on to other products.

Of note, Klasse AIO has no abrasives and will not correct any defects in paint. It's main purpose is to chemically clean a surface in preperation for application of Klasse Sealant Glaze. It does add a little protection on it's own, but I wouldn't count on it lasting very long.

Now for your process.

Steps 1 and 2 are fine and should get the car ready for work.

As for steps 3 and 4 do a test spot first, don't jump straight to a compound and the most agressive pad. You may be surprised how well you can correct in one step with the right product and pad combination. I've finished out a long neglected Honda in one step using nothing but a polish and a white pad. Start with the polish and the white pad, then try the polish and the orange pad if you don't like the results, from there test the compound on white and finally the compound on orange as last result. You want to us the least aggressive combination to get the work done.

If you have polished out the surface properly, you won't need step 5. Skip it and save yourself some money.

For steps 6 through 8, simply pick one of those products and go with them. What do you mean by, "BlackFire wet diamond"? I don't see a specific product on their page. Are you talking about their sealant or one of the waxes? The thing to remember is if you are going to layer, you do the most durable sealant first and then top with a less durable wax, not the other way around. If the Blackfire is one of the waxes, you really don't want to put it on and use as sealant over the top to, "seal it in". Klasse espicially doesn't work well with anything under it, and your durability will not be very good at all. With Klasse, you want to use the AIO and then put the SG on top. In this case, the Ultimate Liquid Wax and Klasse SG are both sealants. Simply pick one and go with it. No need to keep layering them. You might do two layers of the same product simply to ensure even coverage, but I wouldn't do any more.

dcjredline
09-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Stick with the Meguiars products.

Orange pad with UC
White pad with UP
Then pick a wax or sealant you like DONT do the Meguiars #7, that is for single stage paint.

The rest of your process sounds great
TAKE PICTURES for us

Bgates222
09-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Welcome to detailing, like you I’m totally new to this. I have used a few of the chemical guys stuff and had mixed results, to me it seems like they have a lot of products that do the same thing but have a different name lol but I could be wrong, if you haven’t bought most of your stuff yet I’d go into the product review section and see what other people with more knowledge then me are saying about products from other companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

custmsprty
09-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Congrats and welcome. Enjoy the learning process.

Dan Tran
09-18-2018, 01:15 PM
Welcome to the detailing world.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Kamakaz1961
09-18-2018, 02:16 PM
You will get a lot of comments on what products work and don't work. You are going in the right direction. The only advise I can give you is take your time and HAVE FUN! Pics when you are done!

rlmccarty2000
09-18-2018, 06:34 PM
The CG polishes are terrible. I know,because like you, I bought some when I was a newbie. V36 is a Finishing polish anyway. V32 and V34 are their compounds. Don’t throw them away as they can be used to polish out headlights.

Since you have Megs Ultimate Compound use that and then you can try to follow up with CG V36. Always do a test spot to see what your final results will be.

Not all CG products are garbage. The shampoos are good, interior cleaner is good, V07 is a good quick detailer but a terrible sealant, their waxes are good, and their scents are the best on the market.