PDA

View Full Version : Griots Fast Correcting Cream Vs Meguiars D300

Pages : [1] 2

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 11:39 AM
So I finally managed to get my hands on the FCC, am really impressed with the packaging, dispenser and the cream itself as far as consistency and work time. I was working on a 5 year old Mercedes C Class with hard paint and medium to severe defects, taping up sections to test against D300 side by side same type pad same machine and speed.

Both products behaved impeccable finishing with the desired results but concluded that FCC does not offer any greater cut than D300. Yes I know D300 was intended to use with Megs MF but it sure does play nicely on foam pads too. Anyone else here also find D300 to be onpar FCC in correction?

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2018, 12:08 PM
Interesting. What pad did you use?

Dr Oldz
09-17-2018, 12:12 PM
I love D300 with foam pads. I consider it a really nice medium polish/light compound. I find FCC to have a bit more cut in most situations tho IME.

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 12:17 PM
Interesting. What pad did you use?

Orange LC flat with DAS 6 Pro(GG6) speed 5.

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 12:19 PM
I love D300 with foam pads. I consider it a really nice medium polish/light compound. I find FCC to have a bit more cut in most situations tho IME.

Under Scangrip light it actually might favour the D300 in cut and finish but that’s nitpicking. Results are too close to call. Both are really top notch with zero dusting and easy wipe off.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Under Scangrip light it actually might favour the D300 in cut and finish but that’s nitpicking. Results are too close to call. Both are really top notch with zero dusting and easy wipe off.
I bet if you tried D300 with a long throw, FCC would finish better.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 12:45 PM
I bet if you tried D300 with a long throw, FCC would finish better.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Will definitely give it a shot on both the Mille and 21MKII but my reasoning behind using the milder approach from a machine and pad selection was two fold:

1: The defects were able to corrected with the milder setup.
2: I wanted the weight to be on the abrasives themselves, let the abrasives do the work and not aggressive tools or pads which will assist too much in cut and distort results.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2018, 12:48 PM
Will definitely give it a shot on both the Mille and 21MKII but my reasoning behind using the milder approach from a machine and pad selection was two fold:

1: The defects were able to corrected with the milder setup.
2: I wanted the weight to be on the abrasives themselves, let the abrasives do the work and not aggressive tools or pads which will assist too much in cut and distort results.
Absolutely makes sense.

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 01:46 PM
On a side note also used Blackfire One Step, same paint and process, it didn’t have the cut of FCC or D300 but it wasn’t far off either. I have HD Speed and Megs D166 which I will try against each other in the not too distant future.

ScottH
09-17-2018, 03:47 PM
On a side note also used Blackfire One Step, same paint and process, it didn’t have the cut of FCC or D300 but it wasn’t far off either. I have HD Speed and Megs D166 which I will try against each other in the not too distant future.

For Blackfire One Step to have ‘almost’ as much cut as FCC is impressive.

ScottH

Ronin47
09-17-2018, 03:54 PM
For Blackfire One Step to have ‘almost’ as much cut as FCC is impressive.

ScottH

It cut well on the said paint yes but the dedicated compounds leveled better. For an AIO however it can make for a one step like the name states. I don’t see a need for dusting, hard to wipe and hazy finishing compounds anymore as there are so many similarly priced better performing ones out there.

Sonic Pilot
09-17-2018, 04:07 PM
It cut well on the said paint yes but the dedicated compounds leveled better. For an AIO however it can make for a one step like the name states. I don’t see a need for dusting, hard to wipe and hazy finishing compounds anymore as there are so many similarly priced better performing ones out there.

Ronin47,
I agree with you on the vast improvements Griot's BOSS Creams offer over some of the "older" compounds/polishes. I've recently started using the BOSS creams and won't be returning to the old, nasty, hard to work with and dusty polishes and compounds of the past. It is a new day!

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2018, 07:15 PM
Yes, the newer compounds finish much better than in the past, but don’t bring them near soft black paint, they’ll still haze the hell out of it. That’s where products like S20 and Perfect finish excel. BF One Step is excellent for an AIO.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Just tried BF 1 step on soft black Acura OEM paint. It hazed the paint under my scangrip light. Didn’t expect that. Went over the same area with Sonax Perfect Finish and no haze. Same pad and machine used.

RZJZA80
09-17-2018, 09:27 PM
I've only used FCC on the BOSS MF and orange pads, and both of those seem to cut more than D300 on Megs MF cutting pads for me. I don't remember if I ever tried D300 on a foam pad or not but I'll give it a try on a new Audi coming in this weekend and see how it goes.