PDA

View Full Version : Backup camera lens coating?

Thomkirby
09-14-2018, 07:50 PM
Hopes that many of you have a suggestion on what is safe and works on the backup cameras on many vehicles.

My issue deals with the recent rains that create water droplets on the rear camera. They seem to hang on and distort the view which frustrates me when backing in the dark or even daylight.

We coat our cars to help the surfaces to bead off the water. Do you have any product suggestions that help shed that on the lens of the camera? Plus are safe for the lens with no optical distortion.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s insight and wealth of experience.

PS this could also be used on any auto equipped with multiple cameras, F150 can have 4!

Kirby

PaulMys
09-14-2018, 08:10 PM
This is a very excellent question.

I work for a dealership, and I notice that the rear view cams are very inhibited in rainy weather.

May be the downward angle which allows water to pool a bit before it drips off (surface tension), but I really haven't formed a solid opinion yet on a solution.

Looking forward to more replies.

FUNX650
09-14-2018, 09:50 PM
I’ve used the following on front and
rear camera lenses with no ill effects;
(and, they leave a protective ‘coating’).

•Plexus
•McKee’s 37 Plex-All
•Sprayway Plastic Cleaner (SW-848)

Bob

Submariner
09-15-2018, 06:35 AM
I just washed mine with AG body shampoo, blow dried, and wiped with a very little bit of Collonite 476S and ever so gently hand buffed (well wiped off gently) with a super soft deep pile micro fibre.

Works perfectly for 6 months, no distortion etc.
No idea if its good for your car but seems fine for a Mercedes S Class Coupe.

I did notice that if one had major strong sun (when it was low ) straight at the camera the image seemed a tad bleached out at a certain angle. No idea if this was due to the wax. Or just having a strong light straight at it?
But its only for a split second until either the camera adjusts or the angle of light changes. So no worries ... and I bet that camera costs £1000 to replace ... but hell doesnt everything on this car!

Bruno Soares
09-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Always hated that. Useless when wet. My VW now has it hidden behind the logo so it never gets wet :)

07rs
09-15-2018, 11:26 AM
I’ve used mckees 37 paint coating on all of my own cars and seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Thomkirby
09-15-2018, 06:28 PM
I’ve used the following on front and
rear camera lenses with no ill effects;
(and, they leave a protective ‘coating’).

•Plexus
•McKee’s 37 Plex-All
•Sprayway Plastic Cleaner (SW-848)

Bob

Good to know. Do they seem to help shed water during rainy periods? Without anything mine seems to hold a few droplets and of course a worthless image. I’m not a fish and see easily in water.:laughing:

Sizzle Chest
09-16-2018, 09:55 AM
I just coat over them and have never had an issue.

SWETM
09-16-2018, 12:16 PM
There is a product that are made for the side mirrors to stay clean of water. It's made to have a different water behavior than the regualar protection products. Think it has with the sliding angle of it to do. Have not tested it out myself but thinking of getting it. It would work great on the backing camera too I think.

But a coating that leaves as a clear coating layer as possible would work good. Gyeon Can Coat maybe could have the sheeting of water to have it clean from water droplets.