PDA

View Full Version : What gives TUF SHINE its SHINE?

Pages : [1] 2

ejaf
09-14-2018, 10:03 AM
All,

Wanted to redo my TUF SHINE application, since I rushed it, and didn't clean the tires enough.

When applying it, it seems to have a "polycrylic" feel to it (almost like water-based polyurethane used on floors). Does anyone know? I am trying to find a "quicker" way to take it off rather than the "clean, scrub, do again after a week" routine I've heard mentioned here.

Google search for a MSDS found nothing.

TIA...Eric

swanicyouth
09-14-2018, 01:14 PM
You tell us.

You rushed the initial application & it didn't turn out right. Now you want a short cut to fix it? Maybe just follow what TS recommends and you'll be good.

ejaf
09-14-2018, 01:52 PM
Thanks for your reply. Only one tire looks poor, the rest are OK.

Don't know what it's made of, huh? I'm assuming acrylic based, since that's what Mckee's is made of.

Eric

FUNX650
09-14-2018, 04:05 PM
I'm assuming acrylic based, since
that's what Mckee's is made of.

I’m going to take the ol’ proverbial
“stab-in-the-dark”, and say that it
contains, among other substances:

• a high-purity PMMA

• some small % of a UV stabilizer
(ethyl-2,4,6-trimethylbenzoylphenyl-
phosphinate, comes to mind).

Bob

UncleDavy
09-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Space age polymer formula.

ejaf
09-14-2018, 05:14 PM
Yes...it is out of this world, IMO.

gspam1
09-15-2018, 02:16 AM
All,

Wanted to redo my TUF SHINE application, since I rushed it, and didn't clean the tires enough.

When applying it, it seems to have a "polycrylic" feel to it (almost like water-based polyurethane used on floors). Does anyone know? I am trying to find a "quicker" way to take it off rather than the "clean, scrub, do again after a week" routine I've heard mentioned here.

Google search for a MSDS found nothing.

TIA...Eric

Tuf Shine tells you to only use regular car soap to make the coating last. I would use a high ph cleaner with a scrub brush on your machine of choice. Any rotary/DA/Drill polisher with a scrub brush and harsh cleaner should take it off pretty quickly.

ejaf
09-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Thanks much...will get a chance to fix up this tire next weekend (other "less important" projects this past weekend, unfortunately, IMO).

Eric

DBAILEY
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM
I have found that there are not many very good ways to remove these tire coatings. The TS cleaner does not really remove it. The M37 cleaner does not really remove the M37 tire coating either. Tarminator will do a number on it, but not totally remove it. GG Rubber Prep won't take it off either.

It took repeated cleanings over 2-3 weeks to remove the M37 coating the last time I reapplied. You can usually reapply it once or twice. After that the recoating will look like crap and you'll need to strip it back down

Eldorado2k
09-17-2018, 10:32 AM
It took repeated cleanings over 2-3 weeks to remove the M37 coating the last time I reapplied. You can usually reapply it once or twice. After that the recoating will look like crap and you'll need to strip it back down

That sucks to hear... The TW Endura Tire Coating can be re applied over itself an infinite amount of times and never looks like crap. The only bad part is I’m down to my last bottle and I’ll eventually have to switch to these other tire coatings which from reading all the negatives seem to pale in comparison.[emoji19]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180917/41b082dd7cfee70a859627194da72a19.jpg

The Guz
09-17-2018, 10:48 AM
I have found that there are not many very good ways to remove these tire coatings. The TS cleaner does not really remove it. The M37 cleaner does not really remove the M37 tire coating either. Tarminator will do a number on it, but not totally remove it. GG Rubber Prep won't take it off either.

I wrote this a long time ago when I asked Nick how to remove the tire coating. This works on a fresh application. The older the tire coating the easier it is to remove with the cleaner.

How to remove DP Tire Coating (https://www.autopia.org/forums/guide-to-detailing/182231-remove-dp-tire-coating.html)

DBAILEY
09-17-2018, 10:56 AM
Didn't the TW tire cleaner actually remove the coating?

I'm in the process of removing the M37 from my wife's BMW tires. The original coating is about 16 months old. It was recoated around the 8-10 month mark. I'm out of tire coating so I'm trying to remove it. I have cleaned them with M37 tire cleaner, Shine Supply Wise Guy tire cleaner, Mother Back to Black tire cleaner, Westley's Bleeche-white, and ZEP Purple Industrial cleaner so far scrubbing with a TS brush. Since the coating is a bit old its coming off better than a fresh coating for sure, but I can still see the coating in many places. I don't think it will ever come out of the ribbing and tiny lettering.

The tires on my own car still do not absorb regular tire dressings properly. I did my best to strip them back in late spring. They have been cleaned at least once a month since then too. Its getting better but its not an easy process to remove it.

I loved the way the M37 tire coating performed. It was extremely durable for me. The satin sheen was just right for me. They also cleaned easily with normal shampoo. I just felt that when I got to my 3rd reapplication it looked terrible. That prompted me to try to strip it.

I think you're kind of married to the tire coating for the life of the tire once you've applied it.

Eldorado2k
09-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Didn't the TW tire cleaner actually remove the coating?

I'm in the process of removing the M37 from my wife's BMW tires. The original coating is about 16 months old. It was recoated around the 8-10 month mark. I'm out of tire coating so I'm trying to remove it. I have cleaned them with M37 tire cleaner, Shine Supply Wise Guy tire cleaner, Mother Back to Black tire cleaner, Westley's Bleeche-white, and ZEP Purple Industrial cleaner so far scrubbing with a TS brush. Since the coating is a bit old its coming off better than a fresh coating for sure, but I can still see the coating in many places. I don't think it will ever come out of the ribbing and tiny lettering.

The tires on my own car still do not absorb regular tire dressings properly. I did my best to strip them back in late spring. They have been cleaned at least once a month since then too. Its getting better but its not an easy process to remove it.

I loved the way the M37 tire coating performed. It was extremely durable for me. The satin sheen was just right for me. They also cleaned easily with normal shampoo. I just felt that when I got to my 3rd reapplication it looked terrible. That prompted me to try to strip it.

I think you're kind of married to the tire coating for the life of the tire once you've applied it.

Nope, the TW Tire Cleaner will not remove the coating. I haven’t found any cleaner that’s really effective at removing the tire coating. If and when I have to remove it I rely more on the type of brush and have had the best results with that old Meguiars Tire Brush they used to sell back in the days. It may not look it, but that brush can work some wonders on tires, but even then it’s alot of work..

A brass bristled brush might work but I’ve never tried it for removing tire coating. They’re supposed to work great on white wall tires and I can’t think of any tire brush that’s more aggressive than that.

I know what you mean about trying to switch back from tire coating to dressing and it never wanting to accept the dressing again... It’s not a death sentence but it’s close and can seem like a daunting task to try and bring the tire back to virgin status.

ejaf
09-18-2018, 09:30 AM
I wrote this a long time ago when I asked Nick how to remove the tire coating. This works on a fresh application. The older the tire coating the easier it is to remove with the cleaner.

How to remove DP Tire Coating (https://www.autopia.org/forums/guide-to-detailing/182231-remove-dp-tire-coating.html)

That link was exactly what I needed, so thanks. I am assuming Tuf Shine is based on the same ingredients as DP Tire Coating.

Eric

Mike Phillips
09-18-2018, 12:44 PM
And just to add to this discussion....

I coated just ONE tire on the below Corvette and then wrote the below review on 09-10-2018, 11:11 AM

Review: TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-product-reviews-by-mike-phillips/120826-review-tuf-shine-tire-clearcoat-mike-phillips.html)

http://www.marine31online.com/gallery/data/640/Tuf_Shine_008.JPG

The owner of the Corvette contacted me today, says it looks great, no problems and wants me to do the other 3 tires.

:)