PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Klasse AIO? Causing wiper chatter

Pages : [1] 2

bpc135798642
09-10-2018, 03:38 PM
Hi,

I've searched the forum and can't find this question answered anywhere else. What's the best way to remove Klasse All In One from my windshield?

I took advantage of the grey weather on the East Coast this weekend to detail my car:
- Clean wheels, Wash car
- Clay bar all surfaces, including glass, with instant detailer
- Klasse AIO on all surfaces, including windshield - machine applied per AutoGeek instructions
- Klasse SG on painted surfaces only - hand applied per AutoGeek instructions

Results of the clay bar + Klasse twins on the paint as expected. Super smooth feel and excellent depth and shine to the paint. Unfortunately the Klasse AIO I applied to the windshield is causing major wiper chatter, that wasn't present before the AIO was applied. The rain is beading nicely on the windshield, but at night in urban areas the car's almost undriveable due to the various lights reflecting off the rain drops, and the wipers are ineffective because of the major chatter. Wiper blades are newish and very clean. I've tried a couple of things to remove the AIO, but no luck: windshield cleaner, denatured alcohol, I even tried a coat of RainX on top, but no improvement. At this point I want to remove the AIO, as the wipers performed great on an uncoated windshield.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

PS In case anyone asks: 2014 Audi S4, Bosch Aerotwin wipers (exact OEM model)

Rsurfer
09-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Car Pro's Ceri Glass to polish glass. Use a dedicated glass protectant. You may have to replace your wipers.

rlmccarty2000
09-10-2018, 04:26 PM
Any fine polish will do.

bpc135798642
09-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Thank you, both! Very much appreciate the help.

TTQ B4U
09-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Any fine polish will do.

^^ this. As noted however, you may still have to replace your wipers. I've had this happen and even after wiping the blades really well they simply needed replaced.

bpc135798642
09-11-2018, 07:16 AM
TY! I've ordered the suggested Ceriglass and some Aquapel and will let you know how I get on. Wipers are ~$25 so not a huge additional expense if they need to be replaced.

Thanks again,

Ben

Desertnate
09-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Would this McKee's 37 product work as well, or is the Ceriglass the better bet for situations where you need to polish the glass?

McKee's 37 High Performance Glass Restorer (https://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

Mike Phillips
09-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Any fine polish will do.

Agree.

Any compound or polish that is clearcoat safe is glass safe. I normally use a foam cutting pad on an orbital but you could even do this by hand.

:)

bpc135798642
09-11-2018, 08:10 AM
Thanks, Mike! Following your principle of least abrasive method first, my plan was to try first by hand, then I have a small orbital to try if needed.

bpc135798642
09-17-2018, 07:25 AM
Thanks again for all the advice. Just to follow up on what worked and what didn't...
1. The Ceriglass took the Klasse AIO off with just a hand application. Wipers were great after that.
2. I then applied the Aquapel but same issue with wiper chatter. Not as bad as the AOI, but significant enough that I felt the wipers would be damaged with extended use. The Aquapel was much harder to remove - it took two thorough polishings with my small orbital (yellow pad) to remove it - it really had bonded hard to the glass. After I removed the Aquapel, wipers now function correctly again.

Hence my conclusion is the chatter was caused by some interplay between the wiper design and the coatings I had on the windshield. I won't be applying anything there in future, although after all this effort I do now have a really smooth and clear windshield!

TTQ B4U
09-17-2018, 07:45 AM
Thanks again for all the advice. Just to follow up on what worked and what didn't...
1. The Ceriglass took the Klasse AIO off with just a hand application. Wipers were great after that.
2. I then applied the Aquapel but same issue with wiper chatter. Not as bad as the AOI, but significant enough that I felt the wipers would be damaged with extended use. The Aquapel was much harder to remove - it took two thorough polishings with my small orbital (yellow pad) to remove it - it really had bonded hard to the glass. After I removed the Aquapel, wipers now function correctly again.

Hence my conclusion is the chatter was caused by some interplay between the wiper design and the coatings I had on the windshield. I won't be applying anything there in future, although after all this effort I do now have a really smooth and clear windshield!

Did you replace the wipers? Inserts only should be less than $15 USD.

I personally lay down McKee's Glass Coating then after a few weeks, I begin using NeverWet for Glass. I only re-apply it when the effectiveness dwindles. ZERO chatter. Key though is to start with fresh blades.

bpc135798642
09-17-2018, 08:01 AM
I did not - I wanted to see how the current blades performed after I removed everything from the windshield. When the wipers blades are next due for replacement, maybe I'll try the McKee's or Aquapel again.

AZpolisher15
09-20-2018, 12:27 AM
I used to have good luck with Aquapel. But the last three applications resulted in awful wiper chatter. And I always apply the Aquapel after a thorough cleaning with McKee's Glass Restorer.

Any recommends for glass coating that will guarantee I don't get wiper chatter? What are some new favorites?ive been out of the loop for a bit.

TTQ B4U
09-20-2018, 05:36 AM
I used to have good luck with Aquapel. But the last three applications resulted in awful wiper chatter. And I always apply the Aquapel after a thorough cleaning with McKee's Glass Restorer.

Any recommends for glass coating that will guarantee I don't get wiper chatter? What are some new favorites?ive been out of the loop for a bit.

they key is in the prep and to insure your wipers are new. you have to clean and polish the glass to the point that when you hit it with water, it actually "clings" to the surface. if you squeegee it off it should leave a clear line of demarcation where you can actually see the water clinging to the area that you didn't squeegee. there should be absolutely no beading when wet. that's when you know you are down to bare clean virgin glass. if you have installed new wipers as recommended, you should be able to turn them on even before the coating and things will be smooth.

once that's done, dry the area completely and use McKee's Glass Coating. it works well. Two layers and that's it. done. if you do that and use NEW wipers, you'll be fine, the water will sheet off the glass as you drive.

if you don't want to use a coating, I stand by Rust Oleum's Never Wet for glass. I love this product as it flat-out works great. Lasts about 4-6 weeks but is super easy to reapply. I personally use a coating and then over time simply use NeverWet going forward to keep the hydrophobic effect perfect.

PA DETAILER
09-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Just throwing this out there. I have ran Mc Kess glass coating for years without any real issue. Lately the last few blade changes with good blades, I have noticed some judder. Blades just not moving smooth across the windshield. Bothered me enough to look into it. My blades etc.. are in good working order. So I decided to strip the windshield clean. I read any good polish will do this. So I had Mc Kess coating prep polish on hand. Did two complete cleanings by hand. Figured it has to be stripped now. Wipers worked 100% better. I have read that sometimes the coating works too good producing the judder. For now it`s clean and I don`t think I will be putting anything else on the windshield. Your thoughts on this subject?