PDA

View Full Version : Preferred methods for romoving light to moderate oxidation...

Sonic Pilot
09-07-2018, 06:58 PM
What are some of the "tried & true" methods for removing light to moderate paint oxidation. Are there different techniques for single stage paint versus base coat/clear coat?

PaulMys
09-07-2018, 07:03 PM
I have never worked on single stage paint, so I cannot comment on that.

As for CC, the Griot's Boss creams and pads make short work of paint correction. Incredible system, easy to use, and the final results are stunning.

Also, their customer service/support is second to none. Just outstanding.

FUNX650
09-07-2018, 07:55 PM
I find that many AIOs are really
good at cleaning-up/removing
light to moderate oxidation.

Bob

Sonic Pilot
09-07-2018, 08:13 PM
I find that many AIOs are really
good at cleaning-up/removing
light to moderate oxidation.

Bob

Yea, I too have tried a couple of AIO's. In my experience they did not truly "fix" the oxidation. They simply masked it until the AIO wore off, grrrrrr!

FUNX650
09-07-2018, 08:17 PM
Yea, I too have tried a couple of AIO's. In my experience they did not truly "fix" the oxidation. They simply masked it until the AIO wore off, grrrrrr!
In that case:
It sounds like it was more than
just light to moderate oxidation.

Bob

Sonic Pilot
09-07-2018, 10:24 PM
In that case:
It sounds like it was more than
just light to moderate oxidation.

Bob

You might be right Bob...

PaulMys
09-07-2018, 10:26 PM
What are you working on, and what have you tried so far?

Sonic Pilot
09-07-2018, 11:47 PM
What are you working on, and what have you tried so far?

Its a friends '02 Eldorado, black. The oxidation is mostly on the hood. Years in the brutal Vegas sunshine have indeed taken a toll. I have tried an AIO (not sold here so I am prohibited from mentioning), as well as another commonly available (OTC) polish, applied using Griots 6 in. D.A. with a foam cutting pad.
I am able to diminish the appearance, but it returns in about a month or so. As previously mentioned, it may be just to far gone for a simple polishing process to fix. I am not comfortable moving to anything more aggressive as the paint is already old and weathered. Just not worth the risk, at least not at my skill level. I'm smarter to just back away.

Sonic Pilot
09-08-2018, 12:22 AM
Is it ever possible in a base/clear coat finish for the base coat (color) to oxidize underneath the clear coat? If so, this would substantially complicate the remedy I suppose.

Toolhead
09-08-2018, 07:50 AM
it sounds like the issue may be paint failure, rather than oxidation?

Paul A.
09-08-2018, 09:30 AM
If its at all possible, Sonic, a picture here would help a bit.

Another good suggestion is to see if you can get a paint thickness gauge to it. If you don't have one you might want to see if you can take it to a body shop and ask if you could get just some quick measurements.

If it turns out to be as you suspect and thin, the best I would do is to see what you can brighten up with a quality AIO or a light polish. And then wax/seal or coat to protect what's left.

Unfortunately, if it is in fact clear failure, nothing short of a respray will do much.

Sonic Pilot
09-09-2018, 03:04 PM
If its at all possible, Sonic, a picture here would help a bit.

Another good suggestion is to see if you can get a paint thickness gauge to it. If you don't have one you might want to see if you can take it to a body shop and ask if you could get just some quick measurements.

If it turns out to be as you suspect and thin, the best I would do is to see what you can brighten up with a quality AIO or a light polish. And then wax/seal or coat to protect what's left.

Unfortunately, if it is in fact clear failure, nothing short of a respray will do much.

Hello Paul, thanks for the suggestions.
I already returned the car so no pics. Your thoughts on checking the paint thickness seem like a good idea. However in this particular case, because the paint has been in the intense sunlight for so many years, I am just not comfortable tampering with it any further. I am trying very hard to abide by the "do no harm" motto!
I am all for expanding my capabilities and that requires one to step outside their comfort zone from time to time, but in this case I think the smart move for me is to let it go.

rangerbay
09-09-2018, 07:44 PM
Hello Paul, thanks for the suggestions.
I already returned the car so no pics. Your thoughts on checking the paint thickness seem like a good idea. However in this particular case, because the paint has been in the intense sunlight for so many years, I am just not comfortable tampering with it any further. I am trying very hard to abide by the "do no harm" motto!
I am all for expanding my capabilities and that requires one to step outside their comfort zone from time to time, but in this case I think the smart move for me is to let it go.

Smart move! Know when to hold em, and know when to fold em.

Bill