PDA

View Full Version : Finishing/maintenance polish suggestions

986DTM
09-07-2018, 05:40 PM
I usually give my car a quick polish twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Nothing major, just a quick cleanup to remove any light marring that may have accumulated from washes over the months. For this I have mostly been using AIOs and working them with ~2-3 fairly quick passes rather than the 5-6 slow passes I would typically use for a compound or polish. Are there any non wax containing finishing polishes that could work well for this type of application? I ask because I know that many polishes normally need to be completely worked for the abrasives to break down, otherwise you sacrifice the finish. Ideally it would be something that would allow me to do several panels or even half the car before wiping, for the sake of time. A clean, easy wipe off is important to me as well.

Toolhead
09-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I use wolfgang system.

wolfgang finishing polish is called finishing glaze.. requires 5- 6 passes.

I get the AIO for business service offering,..but for personal car detailing....i think the finishing polish then sealant is less work for longer protection.

over a 6 month cycle..its less work to hit the car with a finishing polish and then sealant rather than AIO with repetitive waxing for the rest of the 6 month cycle.

is that why you are asking for a finishing polish?

dlc95
09-07-2018, 06:48 PM
That's where I like M205, or Ultimate Polish.

I can do a pass or two and be done, seal, and be done.

986DTM
09-07-2018, 07:15 PM
I actually have ultimate polish. It does leave a really nice finish. Only thing I don't like about it is that if you let it dry its a pain to wipe off. Ideally I would want something that I could do multiple panels with before wiping to save time. You know, so I can zip around the car. Was looking at menz 3800 but read its a bit oily at wipe off? Also looked at jescar micro finishing polish but couldn't verify whether either of those products would punish you the same way as UP if you don't wipe them off right away.

Toolhead
09-07-2018, 07:24 PM
wg fjnushing glaze is easy wipe off..and i can wait a few panels to wipe off....probably due to 5/6 pass process which leaves a very very light polish haze...

so in reverse..a 1 or 2 pass polish leaves more unworked product ..which is harder to remove if left to dry too long (?) just guessing here.

BudgetPlan1
09-07-2018, 08:38 PM
HD Polish+ has a rather light cut, enjoyable to use and is SMAT I believe so no need to work thru cycle.

Scholl S40 is a very light cut, used with a closed cell pad like LC Hydrotechs, works quickly (I think they describe their abrasives as 'rapidly' Diminishing Abrasive or something of that nature)

HD Polish+ = economical
Scholl S40 = less economical and bottles designed by idiots...but it's nice stuff.

PaulMys
09-07-2018, 08:44 PM
HD Polish+, Or Griot's Correcting Cream.

Both are sun-friendly, long working, low dusting, and finish down very nicely.

Wipe off is a breeze with both.

wing commander
09-07-2018, 10:12 PM
The Rupes Mille polishes are very long working times. They are wet and easy to wipe off.RUPES Mille Fine (https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-mille-fine.html) andhttps://www.autogeek.net/rupes-mille-ultrafine.html and also non diminishing.

dlc95
09-07-2018, 11:40 PM
I actually have ultimate polish. It does leave a really nice finish. Only thing I don't like about it is that if you let it dry its a pain to wipe off. Ideally I would want something that I could do multiple panels with before wiping to save time. You know, so I can zip around the car. Was looking at menz 3800 but read its a bit oily at wipe off? Also looked at jescar micro finishing polish but couldn't verify whether either of those products would punish you the same way as UP if you don't wipe them off right away.

I've been pretty successful removing the Menzerna 3500. Definitely more forgiving than UP if you plan on leaving it on for a bit.

WRAPT C5Z06
09-08-2018, 07:22 AM
The Rupes Mille polishes are very long working times. They are wet and easy to wipe off.RUPES Mille Fine (https://www.autogeek.net/rupes-mille-fine.html) andhttps://www.autogeek.net/rupes-mille-ultrafine.html and also non diminishing.
All the Mille polishes are diminishing?

986DTM
09-08-2018, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Wolfgang stuff looks good but it's pretty pricey. Scholl s40 is on a great sale right now but its not in stock. Mille polishes look like they're designed for forced rotation? I have a Rupes 21. Any input on 3800 vs 3500?