PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean when a foam pad does this?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Oats
09-04-2018, 08:03 PM
I've slowly been compounding my car one panel at a time when I get time. After a few small sections I usually run the pad on a towel for a second. Today I did a few panels and both times (one with a cleaned pad and one with a brand new pad) the center of the pad was sunken in after I finished a panel. I attached a picture, it was taken after running the pad on a towel although it looked the same before just not as dry on the edge. I was wonder what causes this. I'm using a Harbor Freight DA on speed 5 (out of 6) with LC orange pads and Meguiar's UC. The dip in the pad is still there after cleaning the pad in warm water, it is just less noticeable. I'm worried I'm destroying the pads. The pads were warm in the center, but not hot.

I did try using less pressure today. Before I was using more pressure and making about 4 passes before wiping it off and applying more UC. I was doing about 12-16 passes per section total. With less pressure today it seemed like the UC was workable for more passes, like 6-7, and I was doing a total of 18-21 passes.

Dr Oldz
09-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Check this thread out. Same issue I’m going to say. Overworked pad that got too hot.
Foam Pad after using BF One Step (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/120741-foam-pad-after-using-bf-one-step.html)

fly07sti
09-04-2018, 08:10 PM
I agree with Dr Oldz. 18-21 passes? I’m surprised they didn’t disintegrate.

Sizzle Chest
09-04-2018, 08:13 PM
Yep, too much heat.

sudsmobile
09-04-2018, 08:16 PM
Too many passes, too much heat, probably not enough product for that many passes.

PaulMys
09-04-2018, 08:17 PM
One word: Heat.

You need to refine your technique. That is, more pads/less passes.

DaveT435
09-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Too many passes, too much heat, probably not enough product for that many passes.

Or too much product which is the case a lot of times with people newer to polishing. Either way...Excessive Heat!!

sudsmobile
09-04-2018, 08:42 PM
The only reason I said that is because the pad didn't look saturated with product but I guess he could have just cleaned it before that pic.

dlc95
09-04-2018, 08:49 PM
Another thing to consider is that the hook and loop interface might be mismatched.

The stock plate on the HF tool has tall "J" hooks (like the Buff and Shine, and I believe the stock GG6 plates). Lake Country plates have "micro hooks" which are much shorter.

The taller hooks mixed with loop material designed for micro hooks might generate more heat at the interface, which transfers to the foam. Add a lot of speed, pressure, and extended buffing cycles, and you can blow out a pad really quick.

PaulMys
09-04-2018, 08:57 PM
Another thing to consider is that the hook and loop interface might be mismatched.

The stock plate on the HF tool has tall "J" hooks (like the Buff and Shine, and I believe the stock GG6 plates). Lake Country plates have "micro hooks" which are much shorter.

The taller hooks mixed with loop material designed for micro hooks might generate more heat at the interface, which transfers to the foam. Add a lot of speed, pressure, and extended buffing cycles, and you can blow out a pad really quick.

And the Pad Master has spoken............ :dblthumb2:

Never even knew this, bro. Thanks!

Oats
09-04-2018, 09:01 PM
Ok, too much heat. The funny thing is I tried this new technique to reduce heat. Previously I was using a lot more pressure and the machine was getting pretty warm as well as the paint. So I tried using less pressure, moving quicker, and doing more passes.

I wasn't doing 18-21 passes without stopping. I'd add compound to the outside of the pad, make 6-7 passes, set the DA down and wipe the panel a few times, repeat 2 more times for the about 16" square section. Then I would take a water break before doing another section. I was using less compound than before too, I read too much compound can also create heat. By the time I finish the car I might actually know what I'm doing lol

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention I have the LC 5" backplate.

PaulMys
09-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Ok, too much heat. The funny thing is I tried this new technique to reduce heat. Previously I was using a lot more pressure and the machine was getting pretty warm as well as the paint. So I tried using less pressure, moving quicker, and doing more passes.

I wasn't doing 18-21 passes without stopping. I'd add compound to the outside of the pad, make 6-7 passes, set the DA down and wipe the panel a few times, repeat 2 more times for the about 16" square section. Then I would take a water break before doing another section. I was using less compound than before too, I read too much compound can also create heat. By the time I finish the car I might actually know what I'm doing lol

Thanks for the help.

Forgot to mention I have the LC 5" backplate.

Too much product. Saturated pad. You need to change pads more often.

You just quoted a man (dlc95) that can give you excellent advice on the light pressure method.

Dr Oldz
09-04-2018, 09:11 PM
You need to re-evaluate your technique, buffing liquid and/or pads. That is way too many passes to accomplish what you are after. Sounds like you need to go more aggressive or like I said check your technique. I know the HF DA is actually pretty powerful. So you should be seeing result with 6 passes. 8 tops.

dlc95
09-04-2018, 09:33 PM

You just quoted a man (dlc95) that can give you excellent advice on the light pressure method.

I got the machine, pads, and product, better let it do what it does!

Oats
09-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Or too much product which is the case a lot of times with people newer to polishing. Either way...Excessive Heat!!

The only reason I said that is because the pad didn't look saturated with product but I guess he could have just cleaned it before that pic.

The pad had been cleaned in the pic. After cleaning I would put 10-12 pea size dots around the outside of the pad.
When I did my first panel last week I was making a solid circle of product around the edge. I was using a lot more pressure and speed 5.5-6. It seemed like the pad was actually spinning slower than what I did today because of the pressure. It was making the machine very warm, didn't appear to do any damage to the pads though. I was still doing 12+ passes overall to get results.

You need to re-evaluate your technique, buffing liquid and/or pads. That is way too many passes to accomplish what you are after. Sounds like you need to go more aggressive or like I said check your technique. I know the HF DA is actually pretty powerful. So you should be seeing result with 6 passes. 8 tops.
I think I saw M105 at the local auto parts store, maybe I will pick up a bottle and try that. I went with UC because it is supposed to be more noob friendly. The other option would be to order some LC yellow pads.

Are pads still usable after this happens?