PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic on rims, questions

AdamIsAdam
09-04-2018, 02:20 PM
I'm a newbie, so go easy.

I used Wolfgang Uber ceramic on my entire, brand new Shelby GT350. But I didn't get to the rims until this weekend, after 600 miles. So I removed them, cleaned, prepped with Wolfgang prep, and started. But I realized I wouldn't have enough product to do all of them, so I did all the barrels first, then and the lug nut holes, and then stretched what I had left for the spokes and fronts of the rims. My thinking was that I could easily go back over the fronts without having to remove all the rims.

So, with product on order, I drove around. I will wait a week before washing the brake dust off. (that's good, right?)

Can I simply apply next coat of ceramic over clean rims even though they have a skim coat of ceramic on already?

Desertnate
09-04-2018, 02:33 PM
I don't see it being an issue unless the coating isn't designed to be layered. Even if it isn't to be layered, if the first application is thin enough, it might not make much of a difference.

I'd go ahead and apply another layer when you get more product. Just be sure to clean them really well and then do a wipe down with a coating prep to make sure the surface is completly clean.

AdamIsAdam
09-04-2018, 02:40 PM
will do. Thanks.

So, how long should I go before cleaning the brake dust off the rims? I guess I could just not touch them until I receive the new shipment of ceramic, but I hate driving dirty.

DetailedByPrecision
09-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Since you put some miles on the wheels, it will require a wash. I would give it the recommended 1 week curing process. Afterwards its safe to use iron x and wheel cleaner to prep your wheel faces for the ceramic coating.

Desertnate
09-04-2018, 02:47 PM
I don't see anything on the product page, but most coatings say to wait seven days before washing. Wheels might be a little less due to the heat from the brakes excelerating the curing process, but you'll probably be safe if you wait to wash them next weekend.