PDA

View Full Version : Swirles that just won't go away!

Pages : [1] 2

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:16 PM
Just completed a paint correction on 71 Jaguar XKE today. I am not too happy with the results.

I threw everything I had and it was still there mocking me! Drove me nuts.

It was a dark maroon paint. I had to resort to the most aggressive compound (Rupes Blue coarse) and Rupes coarse microfiber pad. Got some taken out but still...

Even pulled out the wool pad with Rupes blue coarse compound---Made the paint soooo marred and dull and yet the swirls were still there!!!

Kind of gave up and went to next step, polished with Rupes Yellow and yellow pads. Helped some but still...

Was getting pissed---cranked it up to speed of five. Bingo, things were looking much better. But still, those dang swirls were still there, but not as bad as before.

Is there such a thing like Swirl RIDS???

Sorry---AGO won't allow me to post pictures---yet.

Tom

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:18 PM
And I was thinking---Maybe I need to go back to Mike's class! Grin...

Tom

Dr Oldz
09-03-2018, 08:27 PM
What kind of paint? Single stage, Respray basecoat/clearcoat? You said polishing helped? Possible you were seeing marring and may need further refining? There is so many possibilities here. Could it be that bad and abused where wool and a rotary and or wet sanding is required. And if u get into that, is there enough paint to work with?

DaveT435
09-03-2018, 08:33 PM
Just completed a paint correction on 71 Jaguar XKE today. I am not too happy with the results.

I threw everything I had and it was still there mocking me! Drove me nuts.

It was a dark maroon paint. I had to resort to the most aggressive compound (Rupes Blue coarse) and Rupes coarse microfiber pad. Got some taken out but still...

Even pulled out the wool pad with Rupes blue coarse compound---Made the paint soooo marred and dull and yet the swirls were still there!!!

Kind of gave up and went to next step, polished with Rupes Yellow and yellow pads. Helped some but still...

Was getting pissed---cranked it up to speed of five. Bingo, things were looking much better. But still, those dang swirls were still there, but not as bad as before.

Is there such a thing like Swirl RIDS???

Sorry---AGO won't allow me to post pictures---yet.

Tom

Is it the original paint?? I had a situation like this a few months ago. I ended up machine sanding the whole car and there were still scratches. Couldn't catch a nail on them. After questioning on several forums I finally figured out it had Restorfx on it. I know what to look for now and if I ever see another car with that stuff on it I won't get near it.

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:42 PM
Was painted 3 years ago. Kind of a shoddy work. Base coat/clear coat. It had soooo many RIDS everywhere. I could not take out one.

Had tons of solvent pops all over as well. Messy paint work.

Hummm Even if I machine sanded it...prolly will still have scratches and deep swirls...

Hit it soo hard I thought I'll burn through the clear. But had tons and tons of clear. And it has been compounded in the past too!

Understand---Was able to knock out all the "light" swirls just like we see in a 50/50 shot on AGO.

It's those deeper swirls with short scratches mixed in. They just won't go away!

Restorx??? What's that?

Tom

Dr Oldz
09-03-2018, 08:43 PM
Perhaps they are sanding scratches from the painter not properly wet sanding, Tommy??

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:49 PM
I've done about 80 cars this year and this one was one of the two worst job to date.

Humm..Is it time to go to force rotation?

Tom

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Perhaps they are sanding scratches from the painter not properly wet sanding, Tommy??

Not really---poor cleaning. Towels with rocks in them is likely the cause.

It's been compounded in the past. Panels are flat. Just those swirls. Gotta be the deepest swirls I've seen!

Tom

sudsmobile
09-03-2018, 08:54 PM
Man I wish you could post up some pics.

RZJZA80
09-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Are you measuring inbetween compounding attempts? How much are you taking off? Sounds like a few I've encountered that were very difficult to remove and had to be wetsanded to get it done correctly. All of those were also repaints. Most likely wetsanding that wasn't removed initially combined with very hard clear.

TMQ
09-03-2018, 08:57 PM
Hope AGO gets the photo attachment and the gallery fixed so I could show you what I meant!

Been a 2 or 3 weeks now!

Been wanting to show the Apollo GT, 53 Mg TD, Satin black Hummer and this XKE!

And I can't post anything! Links are inactive.

Tom

TMQ
09-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Are you measuring inbetween compounding attempts? How much are you taking off? Sounds like a few I've encountered that were very difficult to remove and had to be wetsanded to get it done correctly. All of those were also repaints. Most likely wetsanding that wasn't removed initially combined with very hard clear.

Oh theres gloss and shine. No dullness from wet sanding.

But you are correct---clear was very hard!

Its those circular swirls. Was still there after a heavy compounding using Rupes blue and Rupes coarse pad with some random short bitty scratches pointing in different directions.

Tom

Dr Oldz
09-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Not really---poor cleaning. Towels with rocks in them is likely the cause.

It's been compounded in the past. Panels are flat. Just those swirls. Gotta be the deepest swirls I've seen!

Tom

It then sounds like you need to be more aggressive. Proceed with caution tho.

There Is a point where you can only do so much. A few jobs I have done in the past need such aggressive compounding that I actually chose to machine wet sand. There is a point where wet sanding is safer than heavy compounding solely due to less heat being introduced into the paint via wet sanding.

Hope you get it figured out buddy!

DaveT435
09-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Was painted 3 years ago. Kind of a shoddy work. Base coat/clear coat. It had soooo many RIDS everywhere. I could not take out one.

Had tons of solvent pops all over as well. Messy paint work.

Hummm Even if I machine sanded it...prolly will still have scratches and deep swirls...

Hit it soo hard I thought I'll burn through the clear. But had tons and tons of clear. And it has been compounded in the past too!

Understand---Was able to knock out all the "light" swirls just like we see in a 50/50 shot on AGO.

It's those deeper swirls with short scratches mixed in. They just won't go away!

Restorx??? What's that?

Tom

Besides a nightmare?? lol. Hard to explain, it's like putting another layer of clear coat on. It's applied with a rag ot towel. It ends up being about about 3 mils thick and twice as hard as the hardest clear coat you've ever worked on. Whoever put it on this particular car did a great job on the application, you couldn't see any signs of a repaint or anything on top of the paint. The only problem was they never did a paint correction, just put it right on top of a badly scratched and swirled paint job. I guess when the installer isn't very good you actually see ridges in the stuff from the towel they apply it with.

TMQ
09-03-2018, 09:17 PM
It then sounds like you need to be more aggressive. Proceed with caution tho.

There Is a point where you can only do so much. A few jobs I have done in the past need such aggressive compounding that I actually chose to machine wet sand. There is a point where wet sanding is safer than heavy compounding solely due to less heat being introduced into the paint via wet sanding.

Hope you get it figured out buddy!

Thanks Dr Olds---I was thinking that! If I was hitting the paint that hard, I thought at that point maybe wet sanding would've been the way to go. Also told the owner that as well.

Tom