PDA

View Full Version : Washing options

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Ok so the whole water tank and pressure washer set up isn't looking like an option for me.

I'm in a bid for a contract that will require me to offer washing back on my menu but not sure how to do it. I've sent my local water test results to cr, culligan and a few others and for the 1200 gals I'll need I'm looking at over $300 a month just in water cost.

Options I'm thinking of are wash with sio2 autowash and rinse with a sunjoe cordless or getting one of those waterless wash machines but they are $500!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ducksfan
09-02-2018, 10:29 PM
$300 a month?

You can buy a resin tank or a Big Blue container and put resin in it. I think it would be a lot less than $300 a month.

How many cars are you going to wash that you need 1200 gallons. That’s a lot of water.

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2018, 10:46 PM
That's the thing my water is so bad that even the most expensive large CR would only give me 300 gals before the resin is exhausted

sudsmobile
09-02-2018, 11:00 PM
You don't have ANYBODY that sells water? We have two places within 5 miles of each other and me.

Cruzscarwash
09-02-2018, 11:06 PM
The nearest place is 45 mins and 3 cities over

sudsmobile
09-02-2018, 11:20 PM
That's a bit of a haul for sure. I guess if the money was there it might be worth it until a better option presents itself.

ducksfan
09-03-2018, 07:32 PM
That's the thing my water is so bad that even the most expensive large CR would only give me 300 gals before the resin is exhausted

What about sediment filters prior to the resin tank? Wouldn’t that make a difference. I’m trying to learn how all these water purification systems work, too. It’s hard to get to the meat of the technology from the info I’ve found.

Maybe someone can answer this: Like you said in your post Cruz, at some point you use the resin up. I was under the impression that at that point you replaced it. But, recently I’ve come across a couple compamies that say you never replace it, you recharge it (One company made it sound like you use salt to do this). Are there different resins that you can use that last or are treated differently?

sudsmobile
09-03-2018, 07:39 PM
There's different technologies, all of them typically designed for either huge volume or very low volume. IOW, the systems are typically good for industrial use or personal use. As for the resins and filtering, those systems are all rated on having very pure water to begin with, like 100 ppm. I'm not far from Cruz and our tap water is like 350-450 ppm depending on the time of the year. I'll basically burn through the filtering agent 5x faster than the stated lifespan.

I'm getting water for .11/gallon at 0 ppm right now. Several people have told me that for me to produce anything similar would cost me around .50/gallon or more plus expensive initial start up costs. It would be more convenient but much more expensive.

rlmccarty2000
09-03-2018, 08:37 PM
Do you have to have 100% mineral free water to wash cars? I was on the military side of water production. We went from diatomaceous earth to reverse osmosis for the production of drinking water, so I understand the processes, but isn’t there a way to reduce the amount of minerals to an acceptable level or does the water in your climate evaporate so quickly you can’t dry the vehicle of fast enough to not have spots?

Just spitballing here, but are there any shampoos that help reduce spotting that would help you? Something similar to Nextzett Perl? Just trying to help.

Cruzscarwash
09-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Do you have to have 100% mineral free water to wash cars? I was on the military side of water production. We went from diatomaceous earth to reverse osmosis for the production of drinking water, so I understand the processes, but isn’t there a way to reduce the amount of minerals to an acceptable level or does the water in your climate evaporate so quickly you can’t dry the vehicle of fast enough to not have spots?

Just spitballing here, but are there any shampoos that help reduce spotting that would help you? Something similar to Nextzett Perl? Just trying to help.

Water almost dries on contact so 0ppm is the best option.

The best shampoo I've found is McKees sio2 autowash so thinking of going that route to mitt wash and then back around again to rinse. Since this seems to be the best option I'm considering using a worx hydro shot or the sunjoe cordless pressure washers.

sudsmobile
09-03-2018, 08:52 PM

You called it. When it's 105 outside and you're working on a black car, the water basically dries on contact. I've used 17 ppm water from another vendor in town that was not good enough quality to use when it's really hot. One of the downfalls to living somewhere with 330 days of sunshine a year.

Cruzscarwash
09-03-2018, 09:01 PM
Does u have a chemical guys and 3d there that have DI fill stations??
You called it. When it's 105 outside and you're working on a black car, the water basically dries on contact. I've used 17 ppm water from another vendor in town that was not good enough quality to use when it's really hot. One of the downfalls to living somewhere with 330 days of sunshine a year.

sudsmobile
09-03-2018, 09:14 PM
Does u have a chemical guys and 3d there that have DI fill stations??

No, two locals guys. SoCal Wax Shop and Upodium. I've started going with the latter because he has a mounted ppm meter in real time and it's always 0. His setup is really nice. The other place has the advantage of having vending for their water so you can get it any time. The place I go is much closer to my house, maybe 5 minutes with no traffic, but they have to turn it on. For some of his better customers, he provides us with the his and his employee's cell phone number, and they can remotely turn it on if you text. It's the honor system, you kind of keep track of how much water you used and pay him when he's open. I got 40ish gallons on Saturday after he closed, so I'll go in tomorrow and pay.