PDA

View Full Version : Question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I know alot of people like to use an isopropyl alcohol and water mixture for removing old wax and residues, but my question was what about a vinegar bath?? I'm kind of partial to vinegar over alcohol because I don't find it to be as drying, but maybe I am wrong. At any rate, I wanted to ask the question as to which treatment is better or if they are equal or if one is stronger than the other? Thanks to all who reply. :D

BILL
07-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I know alot of people like to use an isopropyl alcohol and water mixture for removing old wax and residues, but my question was what about a vinegar bath?? I'm kind of partial to vinegar over alcohol because I don't find it to be as drying, but maybe I am wrong. At any rate, I wanted to ask the question as to which treatment is better or if they are equal or if one is stronger than the other? Thanks to all who reply. :D

I use liquid TIDE and white vinegar to wash my M.F. towels........and it really makes my M.F. clean..........:)

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill, but I was actually talking about using it for the paint on the vehicle. But thank you for your comment as it makes me make myself more clear. :)

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 07:45 PM
I think I know where your coming from, but let's say it did strip like the ISO mix, but you think it is less drying...I don't think it would matter (the dryness part and oyu do raise a good point) unless you stopped right there. But after stripping, what do we do?Add polish, wax, etc and these contain lubes, etc. so that would replenish that dryness...I think?

BILL
07-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Would the vinegar leave a residue maybe???

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I think I know where your coming from, but let's say it did strip like the ISO mix, but you think it is less drying...I don't think it would matter (the dryness part and oyu do raise a good point) unless you stopped right there. But after stripping, what do we do?Add polish, wax, etc and these contain lubes, etc. so that would replenish that dryness...I think?

Ah, that's a good point too that we DO replenish it. But I use vinegar alot in household cleaning too and I find it effective yet not drying the way Isopropyl alcohol can be. And I was wondering not only about the drying factor of the alcohol, but if the one method is safer than the other but yet it accomplishes the same end i.e. wax/residue removal then I would rather go with the one rather than the other, do you see what I mean?

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, I do use white vinegar to clean other things, like fish tank supplies. It is non toxic or whatnot, lots safer than bleach, etc.

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Wanted to add, I think vinegar takes lots longer to break things down, whereas alcohol is BAM!

dengood1
07-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Vinegar is 5% acid......great for windows so I don't see where it would hurt....if you can stand the smell(whew)!

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Vinegar is 5% acid......great for windows so I don't see where it would hurt....if you can stand the smell(whew)!

LOL! I'm used to it trust me! I use it all the time at home. I even use it to wash chicken after removing the skin and yucky stuff before I season it.

Scooter, thanks for your imput, but does the alcohol really go "Bam" when you use it? I think I'd get a kick out of that. going around my car with alcohol and water and it's firing off like a fire cracker! ;) Okay nevermind that's not even silly that's just stupid! ehehehe

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
And here I thought I'd get an Emeril Lugassi comment using BAM! Don't ever watchj the cooking channel!!??!!?

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 08:20 PM
And here I thought I'd get an Emeril Lugassi comment using BAM! Don't ever watchj the cooking channel!!??!!?

LOL no can't say that I do. Who is Emeril Lugassi? Is he the one who played Count Dracula in the old black and white version of the film?

dengood1
07-11-2006, 08:22 PM
keep the lit cigarettes (or whatever you smoke;) ) away while using the alcohol or you WILL get a BAM!

FloridaNative
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
OUCH!! I have a mental image of my beautiful long hair going up in flames like Richard Pryor did! YIKES!!

ScottB
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
isoporoyl alchol flashes quite quickly, and leaves very little residue. Its actually a common ingredient in alot of qd'ers. Vinegar is acid based and as such could be strong enough to remove sealant, but would not be my choice for consistent use.

As for residue, not sure with white vinegar which is commonly used to clean floors, and in laundry, but I would stay away from Apple Cider, Red Wine, and the Basalmic types for sure.