PDA

View Full Version : Panels heating up during polishing

kde65
08-31-2018, 10:20 PM
I was recently on YouTube and happened to notice a video titled "A $3000 Detail ".

Somewhere during the video the detailer kept turning his hand over and feeling the panel for heat. But, made no comments.

I tried to measure the hood on a black Mustang that I was doing and it changed about 5 to 8 degrees (on a Laser Thermometer). The car was inside and at room temperature and I was using a DA and orange foam pad.

Should the panel be heating up during the polishing? If so, how much?

Thanks

Sonic Pilot
08-31-2018, 11:12 PM
Well, polishing is an abrasive procedure so some heating is inevitable. How much depends on several factors. The surface temperature of the panel prior to the polishing process, the ambient temperature of the workplace, the polishing pad, the type of polish, the speed or RPM of the machine and the amount of pressure applied and even the number of passes over a given area.
Exactly what constitutes "too hot" I am not sure. I suppose sticking to the "standard" products and polishing practices would yield good results. As far as how to set up and use your polisher, there are many youtube videos that will give you some insight on best practices. As far as ambient working temperatures, I would suggest no more than approximately 90F or so. Otherwise your polish tends to dry too quickly not allowing enough time to work it. Humidity and even wind (if you are working outside) can also play a role.

Unless you are doing some serious "cutting" on a given panel, your more likely to run into problems with your pad wearing out or polish drying out to quickly before you will ever damage a body panel.