PDA

View Full Version : New PPF, First Wash, Water Spots everywhere

kage65
08-31-2018, 10:02 PM
I recently had a full ppf done on my jet black 991. Today I washed it for the first time. I thought I was doing everything right, and the sun was not even out - mostly cloudy.

I used soft microfiber mitt, and then I used my blower to get the majority of the water off so that I would be touching the car less. Last I used microfiber towels to get the last of the water. I used the towels to pat down any remaining water I found rather than drag the towel across or run the towel back and forth.

When I was done the car looked really nice. But then as I was putting things away the light caught a panel a certain way and I saw what looked to be a lot of water spots. I was spent after spending two hours on the wash and decided to have another look at night in the garage and maybe try to get them off.

So tonight im looking over the car, and when the lights hit the roof a certain way I see tons of what look like more water marks. Then I take out my led flashlight and have a look, and that's when I see , pretty much the entire car is covered with this. image attached.

Im going to pull it out of the garage tomorrow and have another look at it in the sun/daylight. I'm not sure how noticeable it will be then. Under cloud cover I was pleased with how the car looked, and did not even see it for the most part, except the one panel when the light hit it a certain way.
Maybe my mistake was getting out the flashlight?

In the garage i touched up a small area with soap and water to see if it would come off, and most of it did, but a few very small spots still remained, visible with the flashlight.

Has anyone seen such a thing on ppf film before? Did I go wrong somewhere?
Am I going to have to try to get all this stuff off soon else it becomes permanent? The thought of that after spending 2.5 hours detailing today is not appealing. Especially if I get it off only for it to come back yet again.

Thanks

wing commander
09-01-2018, 02:06 AM
Is it on any areas where the film does not cover? Glass,metal,plastic, etc.... If yes then it is not a problem with the film. If only on the film then try some marine plastic window cleaner in a unnoticeable area.Marine 31 Plastic Clear, eisenglass cleaner (https://www.autogeek.net/marine-clear-plastic-polish-cleaner.html)

DetailedByPrecision
09-01-2018, 02:21 AM
My initial thoughts were maybe not all the slip solution evaporated yet from underneath the ppf. But then i read you wiped off most of it.... what brand ppf is it? Also try your best to not let the panels get warm when washing your car. You probably have extremely hard water as well which doesnt help with jet black paint. Also use a soap thats free of polymers and synthetic waxes. Carpro reset is a good maintenance soap to use.

Toolhead
09-01-2018, 07:00 AM
if its "under the ppf"id bring it back to the ppf shop.

re: blower and spots...yeah.happens everytime...i have a spotless rinse system and still get spots wheb blowing..

so i only use blower during polishing..pre lsp wash /prep .as i will be wiping off the spots during the process anyway...

kage65
09-01-2018, 10:25 AM
My initial thoughts were maybe not all the slip solution evaporated yet from underneath the ppf. But then i read you wiped off most of it.... what brand ppf is it? Also try your best to not let the panels get warm when washing your car. You probably have extremely hard water as well which doesnt help with jet black paint. Also use a soap thats free of polymers and synthetic waxes. Carpro reset is a good maintenance soap to use.

Its Suntek Ultra.

kage65
09-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Well I won't use the blower again. There are just so many spots, and I honestly thought I got all the water off. As many as there are, I just feel like I have no chance of having a wash without any, even with heavy towel drying. Guess time will tell. Tks

Toolhead
09-01-2018, 11:13 AM
buy a spotless rinse system, if you have space/ budget..

if not.. then skip blower and use lots of towels and wash n dry in shade..

early morning washing will help so the water doesn't dry up on you...

LSNAutoDetailing
09-01-2018, 11:58 AM
OP, where do you live? Reason I ask is before you run off and purchase a spotless system, look in your area for any companies that offer industrial water solutions. I use a company called Puretec, they cover the South West including CA.

Secondly, I have a full frontal of Suntek Ultra on my Mustang. Suntek normally comes with cerami-coating (self healing) on it's surface. When you blew the water off did it quickly leave the vehicle or was it difficult to blow off? The water should have blown right off. Reason I ask is you shouldn't have the water spots you have... Something isn't right. Even with hard water, if you quickly blow dried the vehicle, then followed up with an MF towel, spotting like that shouldn't have happened.

My suggestion is:
- Rewash that section with some rinseless wash or QD and an MF towel. If that doesn't remove the spots, take the car back to the installer. Suntek has a 10 year warranty, and I would have the PPF replaced.

- Look into alternative water supplies, or softening options. There is a lot to learn in this area.

Rollo
09-01-2018, 01:05 PM
I have had PPF on 5 cars during the last 15 years and never seen a spotting problem like that. I would advise dropping by the PPF shop with your light and have them look at it before starting to work on a solution.

Toolhead
09-01-2018, 02:33 PM
sidetracking the topic..never understood the draw of ppf...
why cover up beautiful factory paint with plastic film....