PDA

View Full Version : PBL Glass Coating reapplication question

acuRAS82
08-31-2018, 03:39 PM
I wanted to get some forum opinions on my next application of PBL glass coating. I applied back in February to my wife’s car, all windows. In July I used the Blackfire Booster on all windows and it seemed to reinforce the beading.

i would like to give another round of the glass coating, at least to the windshield and rear window (which has a wiper) before winter, probably in late October or November. I was planning on claying all the windows and using Iron X.

Once that is done, should I
1) polish the existing coating off with Mckees Glass Restorer, or
2) use just a prep polish (PBL SCL) and then reapply the coating on top of the existing, or
3) not bother re-coating at all, possibly just using Blackfire Booster again since it will only have been about 8-9 months?

Option 3 is undesirable to me at this time cause I have two bottles of PBL Glass Coating which will take me years to use up, or they go bad, whichever happens first. So I got plenty to use. I don’t want to be having regrets come February and the protection/slickness is reduced. Coating the 2 or all windows is my preference unless you guys and girls think I’m crazy to do so.

Thanks in advance!

Bruno Soares
08-31-2018, 03:41 PM
I vote option 1. Not that hard to polish those 2 windows and get them as clean as possible before re-coating.

acuRAS82
08-31-2018, 03:44 PM
I vote option 1. Not that hard to polish those 2 windows and get them as clean as possible before re-coating.

I didn’t totally think this out, but for option 1, to remove the coating, would I just use a normal finishing (abrasive) polish meant for paint, then use Mckees Glass Restorer? I don’t believe M37 Glass Restorer has abrasives, and that was my prep polish plan for Option 2.

The Guz
08-31-2018, 03:53 PM
McKee's Glass Restorer has abrasives in it. 20/20 does not. The glass restorer will remove the previous layer and give you a fresh base to work with.

acuRAS82
08-31-2018, 04:00 PM
Ahh, ok. Thanks! Revised my options 1 and 2 above to be specific about polishes to use.

rlmccarty2000
08-31-2018, 08:18 PM
Any fine polish would work well to remove the previous glass coating.

acuRAS82
09-07-2018, 06:28 PM
How about using Iron X on top of glass coating? Any issues with hurting it? I want to do a new glass coating weeks before my winter paint correction and I know Iron X will get on the windows during the paint decon process.

Same question also for Mckees Coating Prep Wash soap, for the same reasons.

The Guz
09-07-2018, 06:42 PM
I would not worry too much about it or even over think it since you are going to recoat.

acuRAS82
09-07-2018, 06:55 PM
I would not worry too much about it or even over think it since you are going to recoat.

Recoat is coming weeks before the prep soap and Iron X. So these things will be getting on the new glass coating.

The Guz
09-07-2018, 07:35 PM
Then what about doing the paint first then the glass later on.

acuRAS82
09-07-2018, 07:37 PM
Then what about doing the paint first then the glass later on.

That would be my only other option based on the answer I got from these questions. So, yes. I can do that if the glass coating would be compromised.

acuRAS82
09-08-2018, 05:31 PM
I guess my understanding was that people use Iron X to refresh their coatings on the regular, so I didn’t think it should impact my PBL Glass coating

An additional option is to bypass the Iron X when I change my paint LSP, if I do want to coat windows first. I last Iron X’d in May and I don’t live in a highly contaminated area.