PDA

View Full Version : McKee's 37 Paint Coating, or Mckee's 37 Hi Def Paint Sealant?

mk9750
08-30-2018, 12:44 PM
OK folks, which way would you go?

I have both McKee's Paint Coating (v2) and Hi Def Paint Sealant. I've used both - The paint coating only on the trunk deck lid of my black 2007 Lexus ES350 (as a test), the sealant on both the rest of the car and my wife's 2011 silver Ford Edge. I've polished the Lexus, and ready to apply one or the other.

The sealant looks very good on the Edge, and GREAT on the Lexus. The coating looks very good on the trunk of the Lexus, but not great. It doesn't have quite the impact the sealant does.

Take ease of application and cost out of the equation. I'll take the steps necessary to make both look their best, and the costs are sunk - I already have both. So the question comes down to better looks versus longer lasting. On your personal DD, which way do you go?

I guess as I think about it, there is one more consideration. Right now, the car I drive is my only advertisement. The better it looks, the easier it is for me to sell services. But chalk that up to the tie breaker.

Any thoughts?

Cruzscarwash
08-30-2018, 01:43 PM
if its for business and you wan to sell coatings then coat it, if you want to push sealants more then seal it ot split it in half and do 50/50 so they can see then side by side in person.

FUNX650
08-30-2018, 02:06 PM
OK folks, which way would you go?

The sealant looks very good on the
Edge, and GREAT on the Lexus.

The coating looks very good on the trunk
of the Lexus, but not great. It doesn't have
quite the impact the sealant does.

Any thoughts?

A couple of “Test Spots”—where you
mix ‘n’ match the applications of the
Coating and Sealant—might provide
a more specific answer.

•I just know that I’d rather have
something that looks great...(than
something that looks very good)...
any ol’ time; day or night.

Bob

mk9750
08-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Cruz,

I had both on at the same time as a comparison. That's how I know the coating doesn't pop like the sealant.

"Selling" is secondary to how the care looks, and how long the product will last. But if I can't make up my mind, then I am going to use the sealant because I think potential clients who see my car would be more impressed.

Bob,

I get you're point, and if longevity was equal, the issue is a no brainer. However, I tend to guess that if I get it to look 85% as good as it could, I might drive around everyday thinking it could have been better if I used the Hi Def.

But I invite more responses. Going to do something this evening.

Calendyr
08-30-2018, 03:47 PM
Me: I would coat it then top it with a nano-ceramic sealant. This way you get both the durability and the look you want.

Cruzscarwash
08-30-2018, 04:17 PM
so, i have my car 50/50 and ive found it good for showing as they can see " its been 5 weeks since i washed and as you can see the coating side while doesnt have as deep of a glow is not as dirty as the selant side" etc etc. so thats why i bring it up, saves alot of time in explaining stuff as well expesaaily to people who really have zero clue and watch way to many facebook AD videos.. lol

acuRAS82
08-30-2018, 04:25 PM
Me: I would coat it then top it with a nano-ceramic sealant. This way you get both the durability and the look you want.

Which nano-ceramic sealant would you recommend for the OP?

I myself would seal. Hi Def is awesome.

Calendyr
08-30-2018, 04:43 PM
Which nano-ceramic sealant would you recommend for the OP?

I myself would seal. Hi Def is awesome.

I have only used two so far: CarPro Reload and Gtechniq C2V3. Both are good. A lot of company makes them now. Gyeon has one, McKee's 37 has one as well. They all work.

mk9750
08-30-2018, 08:25 PM
I started in before I checked for more responses.

I went coating. And the deciding factor (thanks to a 50 minute drive home) was nothing I even was considering when I first posted. I can use the practice.

Went on extremely easily (as it has when I've done smaller sections in the past). The instructions say to wipe on and immediately buff, but I think it works better to wait a couple of minutes (3 -4 is what I waited). But I think this is probably environment based. It was 73 degrees with a dew point of 60 - ish.

First section I did I made the mistake of using a brand new towel. Lint all over. I quickly did an IPA wipe down on that section, and then waited until the end to hit it again. Once I pulled out a couple of washed towels, things went very smoothly. After I was done, I was able to clean up the two high spots I had missed. without much problem.

All in all, I'm very happy. Although I still say it doesn't look as good as the Hi Def would, it looks better on the entire car than just on the truck deck. Now to see how it performs!

Thanks all for the great input. I do appreciate it.

Bruno Soares
08-30-2018, 08:33 PM
I’m surprised it came out easily after 3 or 4 minutes with a dew point in the 60s. That’s quite humid. McKee’s coating flashes very fast.