PDA

View Full Version : Which polisher to add?

Pages : [1] 2

LAKings22
08-29-2018, 06:26 PM
Looking for a polisher to compliment my Flex 3401, a good 1 2 punch.

Recently I started to take on jobs from people who friends and family have referred and want to deliver the best results. Also if for whatever reason the flex goes out mid way, nice to have something to fall back on. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.

what do you guys think I should consider buying?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

eaglefan
08-29-2018, 06:35 PM
I have a GG6 to go with the Flex. I use it with 4in pads or final polishing. Its so hot in the garage in the summer its nice to finish with something with less weight

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Kinda like asking "Who's the best baseball player ever?".......... You'll get as many opinions as answers.

But, as you already have the biggest, baddest polisher........... Why not get another? Unless you're wanting something different.

Hermes1
08-29-2018, 07:08 PM
I had the GG6 and used the hound of it, a very good machine. I then added the Flex to my arsenal, which was a great machine and became my go to. As I found the GG3 I also owned a tad under powered for some work, I ended up converting the GG6 to a 3. Having had both and since you already have a Flex, as long as you like it and it serves your purposes, I would stick with it. As PaulMys suggested, add a second if you are concerned about having one quit. Frankly though, as well made as the Flex is, you are more likely to get struck by lightning than have the Flex quit on you.

LAKings22
08-29-2018, 07:44 PM
I guess I was leaning twords a machine along with the flex that can be used on a single job. Maybe something the performs better then a 3401 in certain situations and capable to finish a complete job in the rare case the flex gives.

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 07:51 PM
I guess I was leaning twords a machine along with the flex that can be used on a single job. Maybe something the performs better then a 3401 in certain situations and capable to finish a complete job in the rare case the flex gives.

What are your ideas on "Better than the Flex"?

LAKings22
08-29-2018, 07:53 PM
I have a GG6 to go with the Flex. I use it with 4in pads or final polishing. Its so hot in the garage in the summer its nice to finish with something with less weightI like this option, the 4" option can be helpful. Is the GG6 capable of accepting smaller pads?

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 08:02 PM
I like this option, the 4" option can be helpful. Is the GG6 capable of accepting smaller pads?

Most certainly.

However, the good ol' PC has a smaller shroud, and really excels as a 3 or 4" machine.

LAKings22
08-29-2018, 08:11 PM
My experience is only with the flex. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to replace the flex.

My intention here was to see what 3401 owners use as a secondary option.

If I was a full time detailer, I can see having a back up 3401 as being a great idea but for someone like me who's doing this more of a hobby every other weekend, that gives me enough time to pick up another 3401 if needed.

LAKings22
08-29-2018, 08:15 PM
Most certainly.

However, the good ol' PC has a smaller shroud, and really excels as a 3 or 4" machine.Sorry I replied to your other post before seeing this. I look into both PC and GG, they both seem to be priced the same

Dr Oldz
08-29-2018, 08:17 PM
Not sure if this helps: I often use a rotary or the 3401 for my compounding step. I will then finish with a 15mm long throw DA. There are many 15mm long throw DA machines available. I just ordered the Flex 15mm long throw polisher, but there are many out there. Perhaps that is a process you are/would consider.

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Ah, I see. Nothing replaces the Flex. I get that.

As far as backups, I own both the PC and GG6. I love them both for each of their capabilities.

Perfect machines for this hobbyist. Plus, the PC is a known workhorse. And the GG6 has a lifetime guarantee (as do all their machines).

Just my angle on this.......

PaulMys
08-29-2018, 08:24 PM
Not sure if this helps: I often use a rotary or the 3401 for my compounding step. I will then finish with a 15mm long throw DA. There are many 15mm long throw DA machines available. I just ordered the Flex 15mm long throw polisher, but there are many out there. Perhaps that is a process you are/would consider.

Another opinion/angle. Excellent.

JTS
08-30-2018, 04:49 AM
Think rotary, educate yourself and use common sense, you won't be sorry.

TTQ B4U
08-30-2018, 06:17 AM
I added a Rupes Mille and put a post about doing so in the Rupes Forum. Long story short, I hated investing in a new pad system but in the end, I now use my Mille and their pads more than my Flex and the Hybrid Force Pads. Faster at correcting, smoother and quieter. The Flex still comes out but it's not my main go-to for one-two step details.