PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat cure time?

Indiglofish61
08-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Ok, I have searched as HD still no answers, do if you can please answer , I just w as ng to know how long after a spray the clear coat do I have to wait until I can do like wet sanding, or applying polishes?

Bobby B.
08-28-2018, 04:28 PM
I would wait at least 24 - 48 hours. Wait 30 days before applying any wax or sealants.

itsgn
08-29-2018, 11:32 AM
Ok, I have searched as HD still no answers, do if you can please answer , I just w as ng to know how long after a spray the clear coat do I have to wait until I can do like wet sanding, or applying polishes?
Read the label on the product! Cure times of different clear coats vary on a large range, depending on the chemical composition. They might also vary depending on ambient temperature and humidity, but to a lesser degree. Some products cure in a couple of hours or a day max to full hardness, and others need a week to fully cure. Nobody can know what's in the bottle, but the manufacturer.

glen e
08-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Read the label on the product! Cure times of different clear coats vary on a large range, depending on the chemical composition. They might also vary depending on ambient temperature and humidity, but to a lesser degree. Some products cure in a couple of hours or a day max to full hardness, and others need a week to fully cure. Nobody can know what's in the bottle, but the manufacturer.

Absolutely true. I've used 4 or 5 different clears ,both in the gun and aerosol, and they are not the same. I just stopped trying to figure it out, and wait 30 days…

rmagnus
08-29-2018, 11:23 PM

Read the label but 24 to 48 hours is the norm for solvent clears. Don’t wait too long as the clear gets hard to cut and buff. Compounds and polishes are fine right away to take out sanding marks but wait a full 30days or longer to seal it with wax or sealants.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Indiglofish61
08-30-2018, 07:28 AM
Ok, I will wait at least 24 hrs.

Indiglofish61
08-30-2018, 07:31 AM
Btw, it's one of those 2 part acrylic aerosol can spray, I don't know if that matters in the curing time.

rmagnus
08-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Btw, it's one of those 2 part acrylic aerosol can spray, I don't know if that matters in the curing time.

No its still a catalysted clear. 24-48 hours is optimal because the clear hasn’t cured too hard yet. You can do it later than this but the clear is going to put up more of a battle.