PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented Finished Leather treatment?

steelwindmachine
08-28-2018, 03:31 PM
I have a 2014 Kia Sorento with perforated pigmented finished leather front seats, non-perfed back seats and glossy coated leather steering wheel.

I feel really confused by the various leather cleaning/conditioning products since they all seem directed at non-finished/raw leather. I've looked at AdvLeather, Leatherique, and Leather Doctor.

I have heard that using the products on my interior may work by capillary action into the hides via the perf and stitching holes.

I'm curious to know what other people are doing to properly maintain their finished leather?

I do use Mother's VLR, but I'm not 100% confident that it's really the right product either given that this leather has a plasticized, corrected grain pigment and clear coat on it.

Your insight is much appreciated!

Mantilgh
08-28-2018, 04:19 PM
I use this.

Ultima Interior Guard Plus 4 oz., interior protectant, rubber & vinyl protectant, rubber dressing (https://www.autogeek.net/ultima-interior-guard-4.html)

I just received McKees Leather Guard but have not tried it yet.

Jon TDS
08-28-2018, 08:02 PM
I'm a convert to Carpro Perl on all interiors!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

FUNX650
08-28-2018, 08:33 PM
•IMO:
-You can’t go wrong using
Leather Masters products.

I’ll suggest their ”Leather Protection &
Cleaner Kit”—@$14.50. (Formulated
for both Aniline and Protected leathers.)

Bob

DaveT435
08-28-2018, 09:08 PM
I just ordered these two. You would think two products like this would be designed to work on the same type of leather. Apparently not...

SONAX Profiline Leather Cleaner foam makes quick work of cleaning on all smooth leather surfaces. Especially fast acting, with an intensive effect, SONAX Profiline Leather Cleaner Foam removes even the most stubborn dirt, grease and blue-jean stains, without compromising your leather surface. A foam formula, SONAX Profiline Leather Cleaner Foam makes for easy application and dispersal.

SONAX Profiline Leather Cleaner Foam is safe for use on aniline, nubuck, velours, and suede leathers.

SONAX Profiline Leather Care is suitable for use on all smooth, perforated, and heated leather seats. Do not use on aniline, nubuck, velour, or suede leathers.

steelwindmachine
08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
It seems that Leather Doctor has the most complete line of products that are directly targeted for corrected top-grain automotive leather.

Many of the other products don't specifically state or address how to effectively use them on leathers that are top coated. The products from Sonax look nice, but without an ingredients list or SDS, it's hard to determine if they're really appropriate for corrected leather. If they contain neatfoot oil, lanolin or other oils, they might just sit on the surface and make for a sticky mess. I found out that the VLR that I've been using isn't actually good for the corrected leather because of these oils. I'm going to religate it to maybe just treating rubber until it runs out.

FUNX650
08-29-2018, 01:17 PM
It seems that Leather Doctor has the
most complete line of products that
are directly targeted for corrected
top-grain automotive leather.

•I don’t believe the Autogeek store
carries Leather Doctor’s products.

Many of the other products don't specifically
state or address how to effectively use them
on leathers that are top coated.

•”Top-Coated”:
-just another way of saying ”Protected”.

-Thats why I previously suggested this:

Leather Masters...their

”Leather Protection & Cleaner Kit”
(Formulated for Aniline
and Protected leathers.)

Bob