PDA

View Full Version : What to use...on diamond plate...

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
So, my soon-to-be father in law and his pal have been building pull-behing motorcycle trailors covere din aluminum diamond plate, very cool btw, look awesome.
So, he calls me and says one abotu 6 months old is beginning to oxidize and what us eon it. Also, anything to put on to prevent this?
I go through my quick comments and finally said just stop by and I'll give you some stuff.
My thoughts are: AIO to remove the oxidaaztion and actaully use Klasse SG to protect, since it's supposed to be really tough.
Keep in mind, these are new, so I see no need to hit it with an abrasive polish.
Sound good, or any ideas on might bond the best with the diamond plate? I have tons of sealers, etc.

BILL
07-11-2006, 06:42 PM
ID say any sealer........

ScottB
07-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Flitz makes a spray to clean aluminum (black bottle, yellow writing) that will work easily at removing the oxidation. P21S Polishing Soap is another. Then coat with a good metal polish with protection.

scooterguitar
07-11-2006, 06:51 PM
So you think a metal polsih with protection would be better than say SG, EXP, etc?

ScottB
07-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I would use a metal polish to brighten it after using either of the above products, then work well at removing oxidation but metal looks kinda milky until repolished. Then sealing with anything would likely work for several months. Their is a product called Zoop Seal but heard mixed results and quite expensive.

joe.p
07-11-2006, 08:31 PM
How would PB's pro polish work ?

Totoland Mach
07-12-2006, 06:00 AM
I'd recommend a metal polish if you want the diamond plate to shine. I typically start with a liquid metal polish like Mothers and use their Powerball buffing tool. After I've achieved the mirror level I'm looking for, I finish with Mother's Billet Cream or Meguiars Metal Polysh.

I've also used WG Sealant as protection after the polishing. This works well and offers some longevity to polished aluminum.

I haven't tried Zoop Seal, but have read about it a lot. It's pretty expensive ($100+ for the kit), but several people told me it works well (1-2 years protection).

If you don't seal the surface, it will be a maintenance item to keep the shine.

Totoland Mach

smooth72
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I'd recommend a metal polish if you want the diamond plate to shine. I typically start with a liquid metal polish like Mothers and use their Powerball buffing tool. After I've achieved the mirror level I'm looking for, I finish with Mother's Billet Cream or Meguiars Metal Polysh.

I've also used WG Sealant as protection after the polishing. This works well and offers some longevity to polished aluminum.

I haven't tried Zoop Seal, but have read about it a lot. It's pretty expensive ($100+ for the kit), but several people told me it works well (1-2 years protection).

If you don't seal the surface, it will be a maintenance item to keep the shine.

Totoland Mach

I have used the ZOOP before and it work good on areas that water can not set. I had Iforge wheels with a indention in the wheel design on the back side, it would stain there. Never did like the shine as well.