PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Car Wash Bucket Kits

Pages : [1] 2 3

lovenhim
08-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Hello everyone. I have some questions about the car wash buckets kits sold in the online store. The kit would be for me. It would be for the DIY guy and not the pro detailer. My current bucket is a flinsy household buck that might hold two to three gallons. I have a green Walmart fiber-ish wash mitt. My brushes are Mothers and thanks to the folks of this forum I have a very nice Griots drying towel. I am seeking value in the kit, the best bang for the buck. I am not concerned with the best but rather great value. I think I need a nicer wash mitt, quality bucket, and grit guard. If you were going to purchase a kit for a DIY guy, what would you get?

PaulMys
08-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Dude, honestly I would forgo the bucket kits. A lot of them are upward of 80-90 bucks.

Grab a 5 dollar bucket from Home-Cheapo, then get some Meg's Hyper wash or Optimum Car wash and a micro fiber starter kit here on AG. One with a micro-chenille wash mitt.

:xyxthumbs:

Toolhead
08-27-2018, 07:19 PM
i use homedepot $5 5 gallon buckets and cant see paying anymore for the bucket.

1 orange homer which is the rinse bucket and 1 white which is shampoo bucket..both have grit guards

i have a wash mitt that came with a kit purchased elsewhere..some microfiber wash mitt...i use the long handle mothers tire brush..which reminds me i have a boars hair tire brush i bought at AG which i need to try.

i use mckees car wash which works well...but not sure about that 2 pumps per 5 gallons they market...i use about 4 pumps of their wash for a good sudding volume per 4 gallons

lovenhim
08-27-2018, 07:36 PM
Good idea. Alright maybe the kits are not that great of a deal.

Dude, honestly I would forgo the bucket kits. A lot of them are upward of 80-90 bucks.

Grab a 5 dollar bucket from Home-Cheapo, then get some Meg's Hyper wash or Optimum Car wash and a micro fiber starter kit here on AG. One with a micro-chenille wash mitt.

:xyxthumbs:

Mantilgh
08-27-2018, 07:42 PM
I agree.

Just get a grit guard and a couple wash mitts.

I think the style of mitt (chenille, microfiber, wool...) is personal preference. Just like some prefer a sponge or towel.

I’ve been using these mitts for rinseless and traditional washes and like them.

Ultra Soft Microfiber Rinseless Wash Mitt (https://www.autogeek.net/rinseless-wash-mitt.html)

I’ve never been a fan of the nubby chenille mitts, but that’s just me.

PaulMys
08-27-2018, 07:43 PM
Good idea. Alright maybe the kits are not that great of a deal.

If the kits were say, 40 bucks (roughly half price), I'd say go for it. But, I believe it is possible to put together your own "kit" of your own choosing for just few bucks more.

Just something to chew on.

In the end, the choice is yours. I am certainly not trying to dissuade you from anything you might have had your eye on.

Toolhead
08-27-2018, 07:55 PM
If the kits were say, 40 bucks (roughly half price), I'd say go for it. But, I believe it is possible to put together your own "kit" of your own choosing for just few bucks more.

Just something to chew on.

In the end, the choice is yours. I am certainly not trying to dissuade you from anything you might have had your eye on.

this....buy the kits if you like them..

however u buy buckets..id siggest 2 diff colors so you instantly discern your shampoo and rinse bucket...which is why i have a white and orange...and every now and them i still dunk the mitt in the wrong bucket...but they both have grit guards

lovenhim
08-27-2018, 08:13 PM
Well if there is nothing extremely special about the quality of the buckets or the wash mitts....then it is back to Wally's World. Last I looked the blue Walmart branded bucket was under $3 each. So, there is no major difference in the various wash mitts, just personal preference?

PaulMys
08-27-2018, 08:15 PM
this....buy the kits if you like them..

however u buy buckets..id siggest 2 diff colors so you instantly discern your shampoo and rinse bucket...which is why i have a white and orange...and every now and them i still dunk the mitt in the wrong bucket...but they both have grit guards

I have gotten into the habit of using numerous towels/mitts. One fresh towel/mitt out to wash a panel, and into the dirty bucket it goes.

Never reintroducing dirt/grime back into the wash bucket.

Not a new technique by far, but one I have become a huge fan of.

PaulMys
08-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Well if there is nothing extremely special about the quality of the buckets or the wash mitts....then it is back to Wally's World. Last I looked the blue Walmart branded bucket was under $3 each. So, there is no major difference in the various wash mitts, just personal preference?

Plastic buckets are plastic buckets.

I happen to believe that there are differences in Wally to AG mitts though. I'm even more into MF wash towels now. (8 wash sides instead of 2)

The difference between Wally's soap (It may still bear the Meg's name) and something like their Hyperwash is measured in light years IMO.

Toolhead
08-27-2018, 08:33 PM
its one of those..i dont buy the cheapest and dont buy the most expensive..with wash mitts......

lets talk MF towels..where i believe momey is well spent

i use the costco bulk pack of orange meg mf towels for standard mf usage....being non specialty. detailing spray wipe downs..use tons during a full 2 step polishing correction to remove polishing haze..cleaning window gaskets, interior wipe downs

MF for buffing out lsps....buy the heaviest you can find...i find my thick MF towels make it much easier to buff out lsp haze...

i bought a kit elsewhere that came with thick towels i cant find elsewhere and it makes a huge diff when buffing out haze..faster and easier than std thin MF towels.

kit also came with glass cleaning towels that have zero lint..they are some sort of polyester material with no nubs like MF towels...leaves zero lint behind...cant find these either elsewhere

Toolhead
08-27-2018, 08:48 PM
this post got me looking and i just found both glass and heavier gsm buffing towels..i think...

given im about to embark on my first dive into window tinting..ill have to hold off on mf purchase...(tint stuff is gonna roll me close to 100 bucks)

lovenhim
08-27-2018, 08:55 PM
I have only used over the counter wash soaps. I keep hearing that the Meguiars Hyperwash is some really good stuff. It would seem then for my use that getting a bucket locally is much cheaper. Get a grit guard and keep using the wash soaps that I have and then maybe look into Hyperwash when I need more soap. I have a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class and mom has some Turtle Wax wash soap to be used up. It is their Max Power wash soap.

I happen to believe that there are differences in Wally to AG mitts though. I'm even more into MF wash towels now. (8 wash sides instead of 2)

The difference between Wally's soap (It may still bear the Meg's name) and something like their Hyperwash is measured in light years IMO.

Farmallluvr
08-27-2018, 09:26 PM
I buy some stuff from wally,,mainly microfiber towels or I use the Dollar General frying towels,,they are 5 bucks each.

I use the drying towels for wax removal because the thick and fluffy and soft,,even the old ones I now use on interiors,wheels,etc etc are holding up well.

I'm a little od school on wash mitts,I prefer the feel of a nice fluffy lambswool mitt opposed to a MF mitt but all the MF mitts I used were cheapies and they sucked,,,maybe I'll try one from a supplier here but maybe not,,,I like lambs wool

PearTree
08-27-2018, 11:54 PM
I'd buy a gallon of hyperwash or 3d pink car soap, 2 grit guards, and at least 2 quality mitts from autogeek(I like the gtechnic mitt). Get the buckets from wally world and call it a day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk