PDA

View Full Version : product that can protect my paint against baked on dust?

toaf
08-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Hi guys, last year I asked about how to remove some baked on dust in my clear coat. I tried all sorts of things, and then Mike chimed in and recommended a nanoskin towel. It actually worked! I put in some time and used the towel and polished it up, and it was pretty good.

I noticed yesterday that the issue has come back, but not as severe as last time. Basically I park in an industrial area, and I guess there are some particles from nearby shops that sometimes end up on the car, and in the summers they can get baked into the clearcoat. When I wash the car, I can feel the grittiness on the microfiber when I go over a section, eventually it gets really bad, and the towel will pass over the car very roughly.
I thought maybe the solution would be to use some sort of product to add protection to the clearcoat. Is there anything that could be recommended that could sort of act almost like a barrier for these particles? It would only have to be heavily applied mainly during the hot but short summers here in the PNW.

Thanks!

itsgn
08-26-2018, 12:16 PM
If it's just plain dust, a ceramic coating should reduce the amount that can stick to the paint by at least a magnitude, if not more. However, if there's anything active or corrosive in the particles, I'm afraid there will be nothing that would effectively protect your car from it in the long term, as in this case even the protectant/coating will be attacked and degraded by whatever settles on it.

The Guz
08-26-2018, 12:36 PM
Sounds like the contaminants from the fall out are creating above surface contaminants on the paint. You can try using a sealant to see if that helps after claying and possibly incorporating an iron remover as well. There are quite a few options available through Autogeek. Meguiar's Ultimate Wax or NXT would be readily available at your local auto parts store. Unfortunately a coating will not help as they can get contaminated as well.

You may just be in an area will you will need to wash and decontaminate more often.