PDA

View Full Version : Repairing front windshield chips and cracks?

nakranij
08-25-2018, 01:03 PM
I am not sure if this really falls under detailing, but I assume some of us out their do that. I have 2 chips in a windshield, the chips are small and one of them has 2 cracks going in opposite directions, but the complete damage is less than quarter size.

I see the chip repair people at Sams Club sometimes and they file it against your auto insurance, but is it really that hard to do yourself? I read that its basically a clear epoxy? and I might be able to use off the shelf stuff from Lowes or Home Depot (I donl know if that really will work or not)?

Obviously the glass has to be completely dry and clean. I want to know what products are recommended to fix this if I want to do it myself and any tips and tricks for making it easy to do.

Thank you.

Vanquish Auto
08-25-2018, 01:13 PM
Look for “pit fill resin”. I deal with the Safelite people on some details where the customer wants glass work too. So I would always schedule them to come to the shop during the detail. That is what they use. I started getting it and I do a lot of them on my own now.

custmsprty
08-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Your car insurance should pay for a replacement and no deductible and no harm no foul against your insurance. I know mine does because I had 2 replaced on my old Xterra and one on my Rogue a year after I bought it.

PaulMys
08-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Your car insurance should pay for a replacement and no deductible and no harm no foul against your insurance. I know mine does becuase I had 2 replaced on my old Xterra and one on my Rogue a year after I bought it.

Yup. Just did an Uber rinseless today after mowing the lawn. Found a nice little rock chip (KNEW I heard something hit the windshield a few days ago, but didn't see anything from inside).

Already made my calls to my agent. New glass early next week. If you have insurance, use it. :props:

nakranij
08-26-2018, 12:47 PM
I have full coverage, but figured this would be something simple enough that I could do it myself. I really don't want to have the windshield replaced yet because I want to "upgrade" the windshield at some point with something more resistant to chips and cracks. I know they are out there, but just hard to find.

rlmccarty2000
08-26-2018, 04:02 PM
Will your insurance cover chips as well as cracks? I’ve got two small rock chips right in my line of sight that I have been living with for awhile. Will Safelite fill those chips for free?

Rrthomas78
08-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Will your insurance cover chips as well as cracks? I’ve got two small rock chips right in my line of sight that I have been living with for awhile. Will Safelite fill those chips for free?If you you have glass coverage on insurance...yes

Sent from my 6062W using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Rrthomas78
08-26-2018, 09:32 PM
Everytime I've done diy chip repair it looks great from outside but you can still see it from inside. It doesn't spread and passes inspection but you can still see it . The one thing I will tell you is you need sunshine and heat for it to cure(diy packs) so do it now before the weather breaks

Sent from my 6062W using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Belo
08-27-2018, 08:01 AM
most insurance covers it if you have the right coverage and doesn't hurt your premiums. I'd start there first.