PDA

View Full Version : Pricing feedback

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

ek556
08-22-2018, 07:47 PM
Hi all,

If you saw my intro thread, you know I'm starting a side business. Blue Line Mobile Detailing. I finally have what I think is a well rounded pricing menu with reasonable prices. I plan to offer a discount (likely 10%) to Law Enforcement, Military and First Responders. I'd love some people to take a look at it, tell me what they think, and get your feedback. Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks! Sorry in advance for the format. I took like from Microsoft Word and had to copy and paste it here as it wouldnt let me attach the file.

Express Exterior -- $55.00
• Clean wheels and tires
• 2 bucket wash and dry
• Clean door jams
• Interior/exterior glass
• Quick detail spray
• Shine tires
Express Interior -- $65.00
• Vacuum entire interior and trunk
• Clean all plastic, glass, vinyl surfaces
• Clean all the leather trim

PREMIUM PACKAGES
Intermediate $135.00

Exterior

Everything from Express Exterior, plus…
Foam Cannon pre-wash
Brazilian carnauba wax applied by machine
Water repellent glass treatment

Interior

Everything from Express Interior, plus…
Dress plastic and vinyl for UV protection
Condition leather trim
Clean floor mats and seats

Advanced $199.00

Exterior

Everything from the Intermediate package, plus…
Clay bar (restores a smooth as glass surface. Removes embedded dirt, pollution, brake dust, water spot minerals, industrial fallout and more. Preps surface for polishes, sealants and waxes)
Cleaner Wax (Micro-abrasives and cleaners remove most minor oxidation, minor imperfections, and light swirls. Sealant seals the paint for added protections, and Brazilian carnauba wax adds shine and more protection)

Interior

Everything from the Intermediate package, plus
Condition all leather including seats
Deep clean floor mats and seats with foaming cleanser

Pro $275

Exterior

Every from the Advanced package, plus…
Wheel wells cleaned of all dirt, grime and grease
Full body polish (one-step) (this replaces the cleaner wax and is a step up in polishing capabilities from a cleaner wax)
Separate sealant applied by machine (up to 1yr of protection)
Brazilian carnauba wax applied by machine
Trim restoration applied to all exterior trim and wheel wells

Interior

Everything from the Advanced package, plus…
Deep clean all carpeting (front seats are removed for more thorough clean)
Enzymatic odor eliminator and air freshener

Jon TDS
08-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Hi there, thanks for sharing this. Have you checked your competition's pricing? Check versus ones with shop and ones that are mobile. Price varies greatly by location.

Just to share when I was in the same boat last time (or still is right now), I've googled pricing and later find out even more pricing in FB. Some would only list business in Google maps, or Apple maps, or just FB. Due diligence is a must.

Good luck and congrats on the business!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

ek556
08-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Hi there, thanks for sharing this. Have you checked your competition's pricing? Check versus ones with shop and ones that are mobile. Price varies greatly by location.

Just to share when I was in the same boat last time (or still is right now), I've googled pricing and later find out even more pricing in FB. Some would only list business in Google maps, or Apple maps, or just FB. Due diligence is a must.

Good luck and congrats on the business!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have checked local pricing and tried to model mine based on my closest competition. My packages are a bit different in terms of what they offer, but still comparable. I tried to keep my pricing competitive, but a bit less on most things due to that fact that I'm new, I dont have the brand recognition or reputation and I'm not a licensed business yet. I feel like my prices give me room to upsell, or raise my prices down the road as I build experience and demand. However, I did leave my prices TOO low, so I dont shoot myself in the foot when I offer discounts for LEO, Military or 1st responders. I know a lot of people in these professions so I wanted to account for the chance that I may be knocking 10% off more than I may think, should I do jobs for them. As it is, I've got 5 people interested - 2 cops, 1 registered nurse (I consider them 1st responders as most discounts dont apply to them) and 1 firefighter, and one who doesnt receive this discount.

ek556
08-24-2018, 03:15 PM
I should also note that in my area, there aren't a ton of detailing shops. Theres a few mobile services with a range of prices and services. Theres a couple places that have detailing shops but they're auto bodies that have incorporated detailing services. I know for a fact there are at least a couple others that I couldnt seem to find on the web or facebook though.

ek556
08-27-2018, 10:02 AM
I did my first official job this weekend. It was my sisters car, I wasnt going to charge her because she's a mom of two kids under , 6 wk old daughter, and an almost 2 y/o son, and shes a student working on her PhD (god help her) and because shes my sister. But shes more stubborn than I am so she paid anyway, but I cut the cost down a good deal.

Its a red Toyota Rav4. In all, it was about a 9 hour job including a lunch break and a quick educational seminar with my nephew on how to spray mommy with the hose.
You can imagine how the interior looked considering the hectic life of never cleaning it, and having babies, and a dog in the car daily. Scratches and scuffs on the outside from doors being opened in to the side of her car, swirls, scrapes from her husband putting things on the roof without a roof rack, faded trim, etching, water stains, etc etc etc.

The detail I gave her was the Pro Package, plus some things I threw in. I did a two step polish on all for doors where the heavier more noticable scratches were. All but two were almost completely removed. The rest of the car got the one-step polish. Then it got a coat of glaze, before the coating of JetSeal. Finished up the exterior with Griots Best in Show wax. The interior got the works as well. Seats and carpets were scrubbed with a foaming cleaner and a brush that attaches to a drill (which I hadn't used before but its freakin awesome). I was starting the trunk area but she said to not worry about it because they were going to pick up hay bails the next day and it would just get covered in the hay and dirt anyway. So I vacuumed it at least, and told them I'll do it next time I visit.

Once I can get some pictures off my phone and post them up here, I will. I was pleased with the work and she was extremely happy with the results. I think this helped me get a better idea of not only how long a full detail will take, but the prices and services offered at the different levels. If this was another customer, they would have getting the Pro Package for $275, the glaze would have been an add-on if they wanted it. So probably somewhere around $300. I feel like thats fair, competitive, and on the lower side of what some others in the area charge. Of course I would have still done the trunk area though lol.

When I started the detail, I immediately thought of a question for the AG community. Suppose you get a car at your shop, or you get to the job site, and nothing is taken out of the car. I mean nothing. Two car seats, stroller, books, toys, Dunkin Donuts cups/bags, change, hair clips and few other things I'm sure I've forgotten. Do you folks up charge to the time it takes to have to take all this stuff out, bag up all their personal belongings, and throw out the trash? Or do you consider this part of an interior detail? I'm going to be adding a notice to my pricing sheet stating that "all personal belongings and valuables should be removed from the vehicle before the scheduled service". I don't want to be blamed if they seem to think something was there and is now missing. This was the first car I've done that I've encountered this (she left it like that intentionally so I can could take better before/after pics), but I'm guessing it wont be the last.

sudsmobile
08-27-2018, 10:22 AM
We have an excessive filth and an excessive pet hair charge. They need to be discussed with the customer beforehand even during the first contact on the phone. It's basically hourly over what it should take to finish the job.

Belo
08-27-2018, 10:54 AM
curious why you offer the carnuba wax and not just a good AIO at that level? Is it not just as time consuming and potentially better results for your customers to help build your clientel? Maybe I'd do a spray wax at that level and improve your roi?

Also curious why leather conditioner is in the higher package. There are some pretty good cleaner/conditioner products out there that do both.

just looking at this as a consumer and not a pro detailer.

ek556
08-27-2018, 12:44 PM
curious why you offer the carnuba wax and not just a good AIO at that level? Is it not just as time consuming and potentially better results for your customers to help build your clientel? Maybe I'd do a spray wax at that level and improve your roi?

Also curious why leather conditioner is in the higher package. There are some pretty good cleaner/conditioner products out there that do both.

just looking at this as a consumer and not a pro detailer.

Thanks for the reply, Belo. I appreciate that point of view. With regard to your question on the wax, I'm assuming you're talking about the Intermediate Package? I've actually been thinking about switching it to a spray wax, since I plan on having a list of individual services that customers can add on if they wish. My initial thought was that it would be more desirable for the customer, but still a step below the Advanced Package, since that has the cleaner wax included.

So lets say I switch to a spray wax at that level. Better ROI, I agree. Also leaves room to potential upgrade to a better wax or an AIO/cleaner wax, while still being under the $200 mark of the Advanced package. On the other hand as you suggested, replace that step with an AIO - same time, potentially better results. But that leaves me at a crossroads with what to do with the Advanced package.

As for the leather conditioner, that's in all the packages except at the express level. Thats simply because I use a leather spray cleaner, and my conditioner is a liquid applied with a microfiber applicator pad. I've just always cleaned, then conditioned. I've never used a cleaner/conditioner in one.

Jon TDS
08-27-2018, 12:50 PM
On your question re personal belongings, I've had clients that left them there and clients that "removed" them. No biggie for me. One day I've found an iPhone under the third row and yesterday found $10. I just don't touch the glove compartment but otherwise it's part of the detail.

DetailedByPrecision
08-27-2018, 01:12 PM
Which area are you from?
How many years of actual experience working on cars under your belt?
Are you equipped with proper products and tools to execute all your services?
Do you have basic online foundations? Website, fb, ig, google, yelp, etc?
I like that you did your research on your local business market to get a sense of pricing. Thumbs up.

ek556
08-27-2018, 01:55 PM
We have an excessive filth and an excessive pet hair charge. They need to be discussed with the customer beforehand even during the first contact on the phone. It's basically hourly over what it should take to finish the job.

How do you gauge "excessive filth/pet hair"? I'm sure you've had customers ask what you consider excessive. And how do you price that? Do just track the hours it takes you to clean the excess filth and pet hair, and tack that rate on to the cost of the overall detail?

mk9750
08-27-2018, 01:57 PM
As for personal belongings, I request they be removed, but don't insist on it. Has not been an issue, and I have a tray I use to collect anything I do find to return to the client.

In my sales literature (based on the VIF form available here), I advise that I will NOT remove or reinstall car seats. I have a very squeamish feeling about taking responsibility for damaging or not re-installing a car seat correctly. I just won't do it.

Just my two cents (worth about what you paid for it...)

Good luck

Cruzscarwash
08-27-2018, 02:03 PM

yes this, i was just going to post this, either change your verbaige or add a * with more details below or put STARTS AT or something because you dont want to screw yourself with a bad review because of how your list is worded/created

Jon TDS
08-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Agree with Cruz. The phrase Starting At gives you room to charge accordingly it even give them a pleasant discount.

ek556
08-27-2018, 02:25 PM
Thanks! I inserted my answers below.

Which area are you from? Western MA
How many years of actual experience working on cars under your belt? Polishing is the only thing I'm still working to gain experience with. Aside from polishing I've been doing everything else since I started driving. Mostly on my own car. So... 14 years, mostly exterior work. Interior basics.
Are you equipped with proper products and tools to execute all your services? my odor products haven't arrived yet
Do you have basic online foundations? Website, fb, ig, google, yelp, etc? facebook is there but still needs some work. IG is up and running
I like that you did your research on your local business market to get a sense of pricing. Thumbs up.