PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me Repair Painted Metal Trim!

Desmadona
08-22-2018, 01:06 PM
My husband has neglected his 2004 WRX to a shameful point. I have a lot of detailing in my future, but the one thing I can't find good instructions on is refinishing the painted metal trim around the windows (there is a veritable crapton of info about restoring plastic or rubber ones, but these are metal and worn to a nice aluminum shine and need to be re-blackified). The paint has a matte, smooth finish on the good parts, but has worn down to the metal on other parts (that never get touched, so this wear is just from the elements. Ideas I've come across include taping it off and doing a grill (as in BBQ) coating or using some other sort of spray paint, but I really don't want to F his car up even more and am a total novice looking for help.

I'd LOVE some help figuring out what my options are for restoring or even replacing these. Would appreciate product or instructional links (feel free to PM).
64812 64813

Mantilgh
08-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Basically just sand, prep wipe, tape and mask, prime and paint.

You may want to tape off any surrounding paint if you will contact it during sanding.

You could probably use 220 grit sand paper and I believe the primer and paint would cover any sanding marks.

Just pick a name brand paint. Matte has slightly more gloss than flat black paint.

SWETM
08-22-2018, 04:12 PM
With a little easier prep work I think plasti dip could be an option to use. Just google or on Youtube search on plasi dip and you get a lot of information about it.

/Tony