PDA

View Full Version : interior help with dash reflecting on inside of windshield

ron7000
08-22-2018, 06:54 AM
bought a new car, cleaned the glass inside and out. Did not apply any type of leather dressing to make the leather dash shiny.
The leather color is dark, not super black but definitely not gray, and it has minor white stitching accents (which is not an option) and it's mostly the white stitching reflecting on the inside of windshield. Basically driving to work every morning now prior to 7am, and whenever it is overcast outside but not dark enough to need headlights, a lot of the dash reflecting on the inside of the windshield becomes visible and it is annoying. Looking for recommendations on how to stop that.

Sizzle Chest
08-22-2018, 12:16 PM
Sorry to hear about this annoying issue! I have the same issue with one of my vehicles and it is a known ‘problem’ that is a discussion point on several online forums for the brand.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done in order to stop the reflection, as it is the angle of the glass or dash contributing to this concern.

Some people have placed dash pads on the dash in an attempt to to alleviate the reflection; but to no avail.

986DTM
08-22-2018, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear about this annoying issue! I have the same issue with one of my vehicles and it is a known ‘problem’ that is a discussion point on several online forums for the brand.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to be done in order to stop the reflection, as it is the angle of the glass or dash contributing to this concern.

Some people have placed dash pads on the dash in an attempt to to alleviate the reflection; but to no avail.

Let me guess, tan porsche interior? lol

TimD
08-22-2018, 06:02 PM
Polarized sun glasses work perfectly. Had a Porsche with a tan dash for 6 years in Fla, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RMarkJr
08-22-2018, 11:41 PM
welllll you could always wrap it a different color .... something that doesn't reflect light as much... I see people have done it on youtube or maybe find someone to do it. I guess the material is the deciding factor in that .. not sure what will and what wont work for wrapping a dash. But if you didnt put any dressing on it .. then there isnt much else to do .. there isnt a product that takes away the glare. All you can do is cover it up .. towel .. paint .. wrap .. whatever.

Finick
08-22-2018, 11:51 PM
Polarized sun glasses work perfectly. Had a Porsche with a tan dash for 6 years in Fla, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This. I always keep a pair for driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ron7000
08-23-2018, 07:57 AM
so my polarized sunglasses do work, tilt my head sideways 90° and i don't see the white stitching.
but under the conditions (sunny) when i would wear glasses i don't see the reflection,
and under the conditions i would not wear glasses is when i see the reflection.

the reflection is not bad basically the charcoal color leather is fine, it's the white accent stitching that is the reflection.

had a 2002 camaro, i don't think there's any windshield raked back more than that, (short people don't have arms long enough to reach the inside of the windshield over the dash to clean the glass) never had a reflection problem with that car.

is interior windshield tint maybe a solution?
this is on a 2018 maxima.

TTQ B4U
08-23-2018, 08:26 AM
so my polarized sunglasses do work, tilt my head sideways 90° and i don't see the white stitching.

If you have to turn your head sideways in order for the polarisation to work then your glasses are defective. I hope they are not prescription but if they are they blocked aka mounted the lenses improperly when surfaces them them. The polarisation should be top to bottom. The office that major glasses can remake them for you

windshield tint maybe a solution?.

Windshield tint will not help it's only going to reduce the amount of visible light coming into the vehicle not in to reduce glare, if anything windshield tint could make it worse if you are prescription wearer you will be seeing a slight bit more astigmatism in the distance due to the glue and adhesives with in the tint

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

SWETM
08-23-2018, 09:01 AM
Maybe not an option to newer car. But you could color the seams to a grey/black shade. With a textile color that don't need any rinsing. If this is a big problem that is. A thought is to take it to a shop that replace leather on seats and interiors. They could help you out I think.

EthanMcWashy
08-23-2018, 09:30 AM
I've heard that 303 aerospace protectant can knock down the shine and leave a matte finish. Might help reduce glare

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk