PDA

View Full Version : Leather protectant

Pages : [1] 2

mrq0604
08-20-2018, 04:22 PM
I applied Chemical Guys leather protectant a week ago. I was wondering whether wiping the leather surfaces with damp cloth (MF or terry cotton) would not undo the layer of leather protectant I applied.

I occasionally have to clean the interior as my car is a convertible. And according to a thread I posted several months ago, I learned that leather "conditioner" would be stripped off if wiped with damp towel. Would the same happen to leather protectant?

Thanks in advance.

acuRAS82
08-20-2018, 04:34 PM
Sub’d. Good question. I use the Mckees Leather Guard and wonder the same. I didn’t know conditioner would be removed so easily, but had always wondered.

FUNX650
08-20-2018, 05:54 PM
If a damp towel wipe-down would happen
to remove the protectant, couldn’t you go
ahead and reapply some more of it?

{Note: That’s what I would usually do.}

Bob

acuRAS82
08-20-2018, 06:42 PM
If a damp towel wipe-down would happen
to remove the protectant, couldn’t you go
ahead and reapply some more of it?

{Note: That’s what I would usually do.}

Bob

Yes, Bob. For a parent of a two year old, that can turn into a lot of reapplying (on a weekly basis, or more often)... so it would be nice to know whether it’s really necessary, or at least recommended by the sellers.

mrq0604
08-20-2018, 07:21 PM
Wiping down the interior takes less than 5 minutes. Vacuuming seats, applying the protectant, removing residue on interior trims, etc takes anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour...

mrq0604
08-21-2018, 05:45 AM
According to the label, the protectant is supposed to last a year... Can anyone verify that claim?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the protectant is still on the leather surface?

MattPersman
08-21-2018, 07:37 AM
According to the label, the protectant is supposed to last a year... Can anyone verify that claim?

Also, is there a way to tell whether the protectant is still on the leather surface?

More of a question for CG don’t think it’s a popular product around here.

You get into the detailing marketing speak of “up to” duration of protection

If you take your seat and clean it with some APC then protect half and leave the other half unprotected and spray some water on the protected half what happens ? Also then wipe it and see how it compares to the unprotected side

Probably the only real way. Any time you wipe it, add friction from getting in and out with your clothes or body it’s gotta remove some. Cause you are not adding and the opposite of adding is subtracting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejaf
08-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Not sure about the longevity of "car" specific leather protectants, but I can tell you that I get about 2-3 months' protection out of leather protectants that are used in the equestrian world. I know I can't name brands, but if anyone goes through leather like horse people, I figured they must know what they're doing ;)

Eric

Eldorado2k
08-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Not sure about the longevity of "car" specific leather protectants, but I can tell you that I get about 2-3 months' protection out of leather protectants that are used in the equestrian world. I know I can't name brands, but if anyone goes through leather like horse people, I figured they must know what they're doing ;)

Eric

Yea but 99% of the people are going to say that automotive leather has an impenetrable “coating” so you’re not really protecting the leather, you’re protecting the coating.[emoji57]lol.

Btw, I’m part of the 1%[emoji4]

Bobby B.
08-21-2018, 10:00 AM
I would recommend using a product like Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. A one-step leather cleaner & conditioner is perfect for what you are doing with your leather seats. Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Agreed upon by leather care pros world wide, leather requires both cleaning and conditioning to keep it (https://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html)

A hot damp towel will help remove any oils and dirt on the surface of the leather seats. It will also help open up the pores on the leather seats, so you can condition the seats with your leather conditioner.

The Guz
08-21-2018, 10:36 AM
I applied Chemical Guys leather protectant a week ago. I was wondering whether wiping the leather surfaces with damp cloth (MF or terry cotton) would not undo the layer of leather protectant I applied.

I occasionally have to clean the interior as my car is a convertible. And according to a thread I posted several months ago, I learned that leather "conditioner" would be stripped off if wiped with damp towel. Would the same happen to leather protectant?

Thanks in advance.

It will be fine to wipe the seats down with a damp microfiber towel.

The protectant will not last a year. More like 3 months. Especially if the area it is applied to is constantly used. Meaning abrasion will remove it over time. On an area that sees no use then yes it will last longer.

acuRAS82
08-21-2018, 11:42 AM
So if I’m using Mckees Leatherguard protectant (advertised 6 months duration), then lightly clean with Mckees 70/30 cleaner/conditioner every 2-4 weeks - just the areas that get used, then hopefully I only need to do a full cleaning and re-application of Leatherguard every 4-5 months (this is me hoping that’s good enough).

The Guz
08-21-2018, 02:03 PM
So if I’m using Mckees Leatherguard protectant (advertised 6 months duration), then lightly clean with Mckees 70/30 cleaner/conditioner every 2-4 weeks - just the areas that get used, then hopefully I only need to do a full cleaning and re-application of Leatherguard every 4-5 months (this is me hoping that’s good enough).

Or you could use fast interior detailer for maintenance every week. Deep clean when needed.

acuRAS82
08-21-2018, 03:29 PM
Or you could use fast interior detailer for maintenance every week. Deep clean when needed.

Thanks Guz. So you would consider 70/30 as more of a deep clean and Fast Detailer as for lighter touch ups.. or do you consider them similar if used equally gentle?

The Guz
08-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Thanks Guz. So you would consider 70/30 as more of a deep clean and Fast Detailer as for lighter touch ups.. or do you consider them similar if used equally gentle?

I have never used 70/30 so I am not sure how strong it is. Fast Detailer is pretty good though. Very mild but excellent for weekly wipe downs to remove that layer of dust and light dirt. Makes future cleanings easier.