PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Claying Our Car

lovenhim
08-14-2018, 02:45 PM
Hello everyone. I have questions about selecting a clay-ish system for our car.

Clay bar vs. clay mitt. What are the pros and cons of each?

Do you need a quick detailer as a lube or can you use car soap or simply make your own?

I will be cleaning a Nissan Hatchback and a full size four door pickup.

After the clay step a DA polisher will be used to remove swirls and scratches. Thank you for the help and advice.

dennis hiip
08-14-2018, 02:57 PM
I use a mitt. My clay is aging on the shelf. I also use Megs car soap as a lube. Fast, easy, inexpensive. Works great.

Maxreed241
08-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Do you need a quick detailer as a lube or can you use car soap or simply make your own?

After the clay step a DA polisher will be used to remove swirls and scratches. Thank you for the help and advice.

Clay Mitt all day. Way faster and easier to use. And if you drop it, you can rinse off and keep using it. I use McKee’s 37 N914 as clay lube. The only time I would use a clay bar is on wheels or intricate areas where a mitt wouldn’t fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

LSNAutoDetailing
08-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Clay is used in conjunction with other steps to remove above bonded contaminants. It creates, smoothness. Smoothness leads to gloss.
There are many different options to clay such as, actual clay bars, nanoskin or like-kind clay mitts, or even clay disks for a DA.

The main reason why many folks opt for clay mitts over actual clay is due to it's ease of use, speed and maintenance. A typical Nano-Skin can last up to 50 vehicles, With regular clay you need to "need" the clay often, which is time consuming. With a clay mitt no needing is required, just frequent rinsing off.

If you drop a bar of clay, it's done... you need to throw it away. With a clay mitt, just rinse it off.... I can say from experience that it's very easy to drop a piece of clay...

For clay lube, you can make it yourself, but here is where the phrase "it depends" comes into play. QD's are costly, and while they have good lubricity they're designed to offer some protection with built in waxes or sealants. Dedicated clay-lube is costly... In comes, McKee's N914 rinsless wash solution, with dilution formulas specific for making a clay lube. My preference is to use the latter, and mix a 5 GAL from the concentrate at the recommended dilution. It's cost effective, when my spray bottles are running low, they get refilled from the 5 Gal container, it offers excellent lubricity. So I have a waterless wash solution, which can double as a QD, which can tripple as a clay lube. Oh, and N914 can be used as a good interior wipe-down product too. So from a cost effective, multi-purpose use, it's the best option IMO.

Be sure to check out the How To's section to see Mike Phillips video's on how to clay.
Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar (https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html)

DaveT435
08-14-2018, 03:46 PM
Clay is used in conjunction with other steps to remove above bonded contaminants. It creates, smoothness. Smoothness leads to gloss.
There are many different options to clay such as, actual clay bars, nanoskin or like-kind clay mitts, or even clay disks for a DA.

The main reason why many folks opt for clay mitts over actual clay is due to it's ease of use, speed and maintenance. A typical Nano-Skin can last up to 50 vehicles, With regular clay you need to "need" the clay often, which is time consuming. With a clay mitt no needing is required, just frequent rinsing off.

If you drop a bar of clay, it's done... you need to throw it away. With a clay mitt, just rinse it off.... I can say from experience that it's very easy to drop a piece of clay...

For clay lube, you can make it yourself, but here is where the phrase "it depends" comes into play. QD's are costly, and while they have good lubricity they're designed to offer some protection with built in waxes or sealants. Dedicated clay-lube is costly... In comes, McKee's N914 rinsless wash solution, with dilution formulas specific for making a clay lube. My preference is to use the latter, and mix a 5 GAL from the concentrate at the recommended dilution. It's cost effective, when my spray bottles are running low, they get refilled from the 5 Gal container, it offers excellent lubricity. So I have a waterless wash solution, which can double as a QD, which can tripple as a clay lube. Oh, and N914 can be used as a good interior wipe-down product too. So from a cost effective, multi-purpose use, it's the best option IMO.

Be sure to check out the How To's section to see Mike Phillips video's on how to clay.
Auto detailing clay, detail clay bar, clay lubricant, Pinnacle Poly Clay, Wolfgang, auto detail clay, meguiar's detailing clay, auto clay bar (https://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html)

It also makes a great paint prep before applying your LSP at the right dilution. I always use it for my first wipe down. Psychological thing for me I guess, but I like that strong chemical smell on the final wipe down so I know all the oils are removed. One of these times I'm going to have to try it as a final wipe down. It's definitely a fraction of the price of the other paint preps.

FUNX650
08-14-2018, 07:03 PM
Clay bar vs. clay mitt.
What are the pros and cons of each?

•IMO:
1.) For you to, personally, know for sure...
I’ll suggest you try both the Clay Bar, and
the Clay Mitt (Clay Substitute).

2.) Then, to get the best feedback (literally)
in determining which of the Clay products
will work the best for you and your goals...
*Please perform ”The Baggie Test”—both
before, and after—using both forms of these
Claying products.

That way you’ll discover, firsthand...for good,
or for bad...why non automotive-Clay products,
such as Clay Mitts, are quite often referred to
as Clay “substitutes”.

Do you need a quick detailer as a lube
or can you use car soap or simply make
your own?

Many of the Rinseless/Waterless Washes
(RW/WW) are capable of being diluted for
Claying purposes. They’re my #1 choice.

Bob

lovenhim
08-14-2018, 07:15 PM
What about something such as Mothers Speed Clay 2.0? It seems to be a small mitt molded into a red handle.

Kamakaz1961
08-14-2018, 07:41 PM
I use a mitt. My clay is aging on the shelf. I also use Megs car soap as a lube. Fast, easy, inexpensive. Works great.

I use the Nanoskin Blue Clay Mitt. I had to throw my clay bar away as it dried up even in its container for lack of use. I use the wash mitt and love it. I have had it for about 2 years and still works great. I love the fact you can incorporate claying while you are washing your ride. No need for lube. Just use the soap and water you have. With traditional clay, car soap and water is not the ideal lube as it will dry out the clay or make it brittle, eventually.

If it were me the Clay mitt is the way to go. Save so much time claying your car is a great benefit too!

FUNX650
08-14-2018, 08:02 PM
What about something such as Mothers
Speed Clay 2.0? It seems to be a small
mitt molded into a red handle.
•It’s yet another form of a Clay bar substitute.

•I think you’ll enjoy the below video; I did!

YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfbSQBzESDA)

Bob

lovenhim
08-14-2018, 08:47 PM
In a nutshell what this infomercial is telling me is to pick either as they both do the same job. One is 25 years old and the other is bleeding edge. LOL

•It’s yet another form of a Clay bar substitute.

•I think you’ll enjoy the below video; I did!

YouTube (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qfbSQBzESDA)

Bob