PDA

View Full Version : Will IPA remove Speed/476 combo?

PaulMys
08-12-2018, 06:02 PM
The wife just discovered these black diamond plate cowl covers for her JK Wrangler.

They cover the curved section just below each corner of the windshield. She's dead set on getting them, and well.... Happy Wife, Happy Life.

My question lies in that they attach via 3M adhesive tape, and I have HD Speed/Collinite 476 on the Jeep's paint.

Will IPA remove these? Something better to use? I want to get the best possible adhesion as you can imagine.

Finick
08-12-2018, 06:39 PM
I’d probably just use a polish on a finishing pad, follow that with IPA, and then stick them on.

I don’t really think IPA at any of the recommended dilutions would strip a durable wax like 476. That poorboys was stripping product probably could do it, but if it’s just two specific areas then a quick couple passes should take no time at all.

I’m no expert though 🤫

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
08-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I’d probably just use a polish on a finishing pad, follow that with IPA, and then stick them on.

I don’t really think IPA at any of the recommended dilutions would strip a durable wax like 476. That poorboys was stripping product probably could do it, but if it’s just two specific areas then a quick couple passes should take no time at all.

I’m no expert though ��

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Fin. The more I think about it, maybe just clay/synthetic it off?

Last thing I installed like this on her Jeep were those back plastic grille inserts. They attached with the 3M as well, but being in the front, I had no worries about side wind shear.

FUNX650
08-12-2018, 07:53 PM
•IMO:
-3M’s General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
(GPAC) should make short work of that
Speed/476 LSP combo.

-Then again, to ensure total annihilation of
the Speed/476 LSP combo, it couldn’t hurt
to first use a very mild abrasive polish; then
follow-up with 3M GPAC as the panel-wipe.

Bob

PaulMys
08-12-2018, 07:59 PM
•IMO:
-3M’s General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner
(GPAC) should make short work of that
Speed/476 LSP combo.

-Then again, to ensure total annihilation of
the Speed/476 LSP combo, it couldn’t hurt
to first use a very mild abrasive polish; then
follow-up with the 3M GPAC as the panel-wipe.

Bob

True enough, Bob.

As you are well aware, I have been an advocate of the 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner.

Good call. (As always).