PDA

View Full Version : TR6---day 9, Done...Done...DONE!

Pages : [1] 2 3

TMQ
08-09-2018, 07:59 PM
Finally I'm done with this! What a learning experience.

Had a hell of a time trying to use the M205. Made a royal mess everywhere!

Started out with Rupes white pads---was disappointed with results. Paint got dulled, polish was hard to remove.
Added more polish---opps, spatter everywhere including the maroon jag next to us! Tried less---same deal.

I knew that this polish is a favorite with many people on the forum.

Switched out pads to Rupes yellow polishing pads. Same deal---dull paint, grabby and hard to remove polish.

Then followed directions on bottle. Moderate pressure on polisher and then lighten after 3 passes. Bingo!!!

Damn turn out perfect!

Less product---press moderately hard on polisher and then lighten up for couple of passes or three.
Had to dump the Rupes mark II and use the Griots 6" polisher. Churns better under pressure while the Rupes stalls.

Once I got that figured out---rest was smooth sailing.

And microfiber towels were useless on this paint! White Terry cloth towels did the trick---easy cut and glossed out the final removal.

1. M205 polish with Rupes yellow polishing pads.
2. Press hard on polisher with little product---polish till product disappears on paint.
3. Remove with white terry cloth towels.
4. Did jeweling with Rupes white ultra fine---It helps just a touch. Not worth the extra time.
5. Polished on M26 yellow wax at 1 1/2 speed. Let hazed over after 30 min---easy removal.

The M205 was able to remove most of the yellow stains within paint. Perfect? Not quite but sooo much better.

I'm so happy to have used the M205 on this type of paint. Really doubt that any polishes that I have wouldn't have done the job correctly!

Pictures:

fly07sti
08-09-2018, 08:05 PM
Wow Tom. My hat is off to you. Thank you for taking us along this journey.

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:07 PM
The pictures above was when I was trying to figure out how to use M205.

Dry, dulled and grabby.

The rest of the pictures below to the end was after I figured out how to use the M205. ( press hard for 3-4 passes, then let up for another 2-3 passes).

Pictures;

The middle picture shows the stains that were in paint on the trunk. Left half polished out. The right half shows the remaining stains.

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:09 PM
The hood---It says it all!!!

The money shot!!!

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:12 PM
A couple of more...

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:13 PM
That's it for me---I'm done!

Approx. 19 hours in total.

Tom

oneheadlite
08-09-2018, 08:16 PM
Holy smokes! You seriously would never guess it’s the same car.

Fantastic work, and thanks for going the extra mile to document and share with us!

I may have missed in a different thread - why the choice to go with M205 vs other polishes?

Farmallluvr
08-09-2018, 08:24 PM
looks great !,, that car is standing tall :props:
I leaned some new techniques following this series o post,,thanks for answering my questions as well.

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Keeping it in the "family".

Used Meguiar's # 7 to revive paint over 7 days.

Then used Meguiar's 205 to polish out.

Again---Meguiar's # 26 yellow wax.

I really don't think there is any other product that is suitable for reviving old single stage paint! I think---

Tom

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:27 PM
looks great !,, that car is standing tall :props:
I leaned some new techniques following this series o post,,thanks for answering my questions as well.

It sure was a learning experience for me as well!

I've read about it...but sure is something else when hands on!

Tom

joleyred
08-09-2018, 08:39 PM
Beautiful work Tom

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:39 PM
For giggles...

TMQ
08-09-2018, 08:41 PM
couple of more..

Farmallluvr
08-09-2018, 08:46 PM
I forgot to ask you the other day what did you use on the back window?,I have tried a couple of plastic window cleaners in the past with not much luck.

PaulMys
08-09-2018, 08:46 PM
I am loving this whole series of threads, Tommy.

You have not only pulled off an incredibly hard task, but have done one hell of a job.

AND... have taken the time to document and share the whole process with all of us. Love it!

And, love hearing your GG6 saved the day. Mine is the "warrior" in my arsenal.

I was looking at the markII along with other machines when I looked to upgrade, but glad to hear your opinion on the "Little Boss".

The GG6 was the best choice for me by far.