PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Cobra clay bar mitt

Pages : [1] 2

Pete L
08-08-2018, 06:34 PM
Used my new Cobra clay bar mitt for the first time last weekend. I followed the inclosed instructions and WOW! It worked. It saved time and did a great job. Afterwards, I rinsed it with clean water and set it on a terry towel, rubber sied up, to dry. Now, it's sticky. The instructions say not to use if sticky. Anyone else experience this?

rlmccarty2000
08-08-2018, 07:10 PM
The NanoSkin ones get sticky too, but I still use them with no problems.

PaulMys
08-08-2018, 07:19 PM
The NanoSkin ones get sticky too, but I still use them with no problems.

Agreed.

I have the Cobra mitt, Nanoskin sponges, and Griot's Synthetic clay. All of them feel kind of "sticky" after the first use.

It's after you knock off the initial coating using it on glass.

You're good to go.

FrankS
08-08-2018, 07:22 PM
Used my new Cobra clay bar mitt for the first time last weekend. I followed the inclosed instructions and WOW! It worked. It saved time and did a great job. Afterwards, I rinsed it with clean water and set it on a terry towel, rubber sied up, to dry. Now, it's sticky. The instructions say not to use if sticky. Anyone else experience this?

Did you let it dry in the sun?

Mantilgh
08-08-2018, 08:53 PM
I accidentally ran my two clay mitts through the wash the other day and now they are sticky again.

They also went through the dryer. I about freaked out at first but they were not stuck to anything. One was a little folded against itself but pulled apart fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
08-08-2018, 08:56 PM
I accidentally ran my two clay mitts through the wash the other day and now they are sticky again.

They also went through the dryer. I about freaked out at first but they were not stuck to anything. One was a little folded against itself but pulled apart fine.

What kind of mitts?

Eldorado2k
08-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Did you let it dry in the sun?

I ruined 1 Nanoskin mitt and almost ruined another after leaving them exposed to direct sunlight. This is my new 1 that I nearly ruined but managed to salvage by putting it in the fridge to try to reverse the melting that had begun to happen.

If you look at the right side you can see it had started to melt. The left side is as it should be. Worst part is I didn’t even use it that day, it was simply laying on top of my detailing bag exposed to the sun. These things are sensitive!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180809/0645466c3a1ba73156af3aa611b8e857.jpg

PaulMys
08-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Excellent warning for others, Eldoski.

Eldorado2k
08-08-2018, 09:29 PM
Here’s the ruined claymitt on the left...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180809/07edf2eed10aecc4b4d227085785b66b.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180809/6fb15d74e7cb82ae7feaed9c5ba65d4f.jpg

Not too long ago I detailed a black Infiniti and when I began claying it it was so extremely contaminated that I was nearly cringing at my mitts lifespan being shortened from that dang car... So I went and grabbed the my other mitt [the 1 on the left] and clayed a few of the worst areas with it.

Btw I was working at night, so I couldn’t really see much but I was going to compound the vehicle the next morning so it didn’t really matter.

I woke up the next day and came out to start on the car and as soon as I saw the paint there were several areas that looked as if someone had taken a brillo pad to the paint. I was like omg what in the heck is going on here?![emoji54] It took me about a minute to wake up and remember what I had tried the previous night... Oh boy that bad claymitt obliterated that paint! Marring from hell![emoji14]lol.

PaulMys
08-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Pics show ruined one on the right. Right?

Eldorado2k
08-08-2018, 09:34 PM
Pics show ruined one on the right. Right?

No, ruined dry mitt on left.

PaulMys
08-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Ahh....... Gotcha.

I'm Polish. ;)

Pete L
08-08-2018, 10:43 PM
I used it on my windshield first as recommended by the instructions. After use, I rinsed it off and set it on a clean terry cloth (rubber side up) in the garage and out of direct sun/heat. Now it's very sticky.

Finick
08-09-2018, 04:02 AM
My nanoskin sponge gets sticky after I clean the face of it with OPC, and I’ve never really even given using it a second thought.

I didn’t even know them being sticky was a bad thing, lol. I just assumed that’s how the surface feels after it’s broken in and clean. After a few sections of claying my sponge usually isn’t tacky anymore. Like half the hood and when I go to clean the face of it off, it feels fine to me.

acuRAS82
08-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Blackfire mitt? It’s significantly cheaper than the cobra but looks the same. Anyone no why the price is only $25?