PDA

View Full Version : Help near St. Louis with windshield

Pages : [1] 2

Daven75
08-08-2018, 10:16 AM
Hey guys,

So I purchased a new t me car. 2015 BMW M235xi. The windshield has a film on it either from sitting at the dealer or at the previous owners house. I've tried stripping it of anything on it. No luck. The I tried to clay bar, compound and polish the windshield and then clean it. No luck there either. The water doesn't bead at all so I'm pretty sure there's nothing on the window that's a product of any kind.

So, my question, is there anyone in the St. Louis area that maybe has some glass polish that we could try on my car? I'd prefer not to buy some because for me, it'd be a one time use and I'd rather meet another local detailer.

Last resort I think I'll do is have the windshield replaced. Last resort.

Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
08-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Are you sure that doesn't have some factory coating on it to make the water sheet instead of bead? Lexus used to do that on the driver's window.

Daven75
08-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Are you sure that doesn't have some factory coating on it to make the water sheet instead of bead? Lexus used to do that on the driver's window.

Yea, you can see streaks of what looks to be just crap that has run down the windshield and dried in the sun from sitting. It was bad enough that the water didn't seem like it wanted to be removed from the window even driving at highway speeds. It seems like the person before me might not have taken care of the windshield very well.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Hey guys,

So I purchased a new t me car. 2015 BMW M235xi.

The windshield has a film on it either from sitting at the dealer or at the previous owners house.

I tried to clay bar, compound and polish the windshield and then clean it.

When you say you've compounded the glass? What did you use for,

Tool
Pad
Product

I've polished a LOT of glass in my life, it's pretty straight forward. I'll be teaching glass polishing this Friday in Wisconsin at my Roadshow Class on this old 2-door Dodge,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3729/Dodge_truck2.jpg

Daven75
08-08-2018, 11:52 AM
When you say you've compounded the glass? What did you use for,

Tool
Pad
Product

I've polished a LOT of glass in my life, it's pretty straight forward. I'll be teaching glass polishing this Friday in Wisconsin at my Roadshow Class on this old 2-door Dodge,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3729/Dodge_truck2.jpg

Mike,

I knew I was forgetting something. I used a Porter Cable DA, LC Orange pad, Megs 105 and polished with Megs 205. Cleaned with Griots glass cleaner.

rangerbay
08-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Have you tried clr for lime and calcium?

Daven75
08-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Have you tried clr for lime and calcium?

hmm I have not. Thats a good idea.

Bobh59
08-08-2018, 01:00 PM
Glasweld Proclean will take care of that for you.

Daven75
08-08-2018, 01:08 PM

Anywhere to purchase locally? Like I said, I was trying to avoid buying anything specific due to this probably being the only time I'll ever use it.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Mike,

I knew I was forgetting something. I used a

Porter Cable DA
LC Orange pad
Megs 105 and polished with Megs 205

Cleaned with Griots glass cleaner

When machine buffing glass to remove any type of film like road film, what works better is an old school compound that is chunky, that is you can "feel" the abrasives. Hi-tech compounds like Meguiar's M105 and it's cousin, Ultimate Compound, use Super Micro Abrasive Technology or SMAT. If you feel some between your fingers it will feel like Jergens Hand Lotion i.e. no chunkiness.

RUPES Zypher Gloss Compound works for this and I'm sure there are others. As long as the product is safe for clearcoats and has a respected name I'd use it.

We also sell dedicated glass polishes on AG, but nothing local you'll find in a retail store.

:)

Mike Phillips
08-08-2018, 01:34 PM

Even though it's against forum rules to share products not sold on the AG store since they pay for this forum and things like my time to type out information etc., I went ahead and looked this product up as I have a lot of experience machine polishing glass to do both,

Topical glass polishing - to remove film and water spot contamination OFF the surface of glass

Sub-surface glass polishing - to remove scratches

The product you recommended states it uses both acid and micro-abrasives to do topical glass cleaning. Supposed to come with some form of a scuff pad, probably something like Scotchbrite and then they recommend as an option to use #0000 steel wool. I never use steel on glass as I believe it scratches it and I know how to accomplish the same thing without using steel.

To the thread starter, you might be able to find a water spot remover from Meguiar's or Mothers at your local stores, I've used both and they both work. For really bad film staining like you're describing, you might have to get more aggressive and go with something like Ceriglass by CarPro with their glass polishing pads for machine polishing with the PC.

Griot's also makes a fine glass polish and dedicated glass polishing pads for use with a PC or Griot's type orbital.

Mike Phillips
08-08-2018, 01:37 PM
I used a

Porter Cable DA
LC Orange pad
Megs 105 and polished with Megs 205

What size Lake Country orange pad?

Was it the 6.5" CCS pad that's about a 1 1/4" thick?

This would mean you have a 6" backing plate and this size plate and these size pads are way too big for this type of tool.

A 5" backing plate and a 5.5" Lake Country ThinPro orange foam cutting pad will spin on that tool like it was a rotary buffer and then you can get down and get some work done.

Daven75
08-08-2018, 02:32 PM
Even though it's against forum rules to share products not sold on the AG store since they pay for this forum and things like my time to type out information etc., I went ahead and looked this product up as I have a lot of experience machine polishing glass to do both,

Topical glass polishing - to remove film and water spot contamination OFF the surface of glass

Sub-surface glass polishing - to remove scratches

The product you recommended states it uses both acid and micro-abrasives to do topical glass cleaning. Supposed to come with some form of a scuff pad, probably something like Scotchbrite and then they recommend as an option to use #0000 steel wool. I never use steel on glass as I believe it scratches it and I know how to accomplish the same thing without using steel.

To the thread starter, you might be able to find a water spot remover from Meguiar's or Mothers at your local stores, I've used both and they both work. For really bad film staining like you're describing, you might have to get more aggressive and go with something like Ceriglass by CarPro with their glass polishing pads for machine polishing with the PC.

Griot's also makes a fine glass polish and dedicated glass polishing pads for use with a PC or Griot's type orbital.

What size Lake Country orange pad?

Was it the 6.5" CCS pad that's about a 1 1/4" thick?

This would mean you have a 6" backing plate and this size plate and these size pads are way too big for this type of tool.

A 5" backing plate and a 5.5" Lake Country ThinPro orange foam cutting pad will spin on that tool like it was a rotary buffer and then you can get down and get some work done.

Ah my bad, its a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. I have some gritty compound I might try instead. I never thought about that but it makes sense!

Do you think I would have any luck with any store bought, standard hard water mark remover or would it be too aggressive for a car window?

Worst case I'll order up the Griots glass polish and pads since I can get them from the local Advance Auto Parts for cheap. Gotta love having a friend who works there!

Mike Phillips
08-08-2018, 02:42 PM
Ah my bad, its a 5" backing plate with 5.5" pads. I have some gritty compound I might try instead. I never thought about that but it makes sense!

Also - use highest speed setting, press down with firm pressure. Move polisher slowly.

Do you think I would have any luck with any store bought, standard hard water mark remover or would it be too aggressive for a car window?

Hard to say... always do a TEST SPOT and NEVER test where the driver looks through the windshield. (Don't ask me how I know)

Worst case I'll order up the Griots glass polish and pads since I can get them from the local Advance Auto Parts for cheap.

Gotta love having a friend who works there!

Griot's works good, make sure glass is clean from loose dirt/debris no matter what you use.

Always test in one area before buffing out all the glass.

I was give a product to test one time and it scratched the glass. Once you scratch glass, in order to remove it you MUST have the right abrasive technology and pads (plus skill and experience) to remove scratches out of glass.

Daven75
08-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Also - use highest speed setting, press down with firm pressure. Move polisher slowly.

Hard to say... always do a TEST SPOT and NEVER test where the driver looks through the windshield. (Don't ask me how I know)

Griot's works good, make sure glass is clean from loose dirt/debris no matter what you use.

Always test in one area before buffing out all the glass.

I was give a product to test one time and it scratched the glass. Once you scratch glass, in order to remove it you MUST have the right abrasive technology and pads (plus skill and experience) to remove scratches out of glass.

Huh, never thought about using the highest speed, but it makes since cause glass is so strong.

Oh yea, always doing a test spot on the lower passenger side usually.

I appreciate your suggestions. Once I get the car back from the dealer I'll get to testing!