PDA

View Full Version : Dried Milk in carpets, need advice.

kylebisson2
08-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Ok so I'm doing a job tonight for a family friend. They spilled milk into their SUV carpets about a week ago and the want me to clean it up, figures.... So my thoughts at the moment is as follows, Vacuum, Spray with super clean (5:1), agitate, steam, vacuum and follow up with a towel to help mop up any excess. Does anybody have advice on milk spills and or my process? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Mantilgh
08-06-2018, 03:12 PM
You may want a protein stain remover that has enzymes. You can usually find them at pet supply stores, possibly at the grocery store too.

When I did a search, one the first things that came up was to avoid heat( possibly steam) during every stage of the process.

I don’t have to much experience with protein stains but they can be pretty persistent sometimes.

sudsmobile
08-06-2018, 05:41 PM
A lot of milk? A gallon of milk? Two things, take my advice or don't, but this is the only way you'll get it all. Number one, if it was a lot of milk, you HAVE to get the carpet up and clean it up off the floor pan. Sorry, I know this sucks, but you're not sucking week old milk back through the carpet. No way, no how and you really wouldn't want to if you could because you're trying to get the carpet clean, not suck spoiled milk back into it. After you get all the milk up off the floor pan, you'll need to rehydrate the spilled milk in the carpets and then treat it with an enzyme cleaner. There are a lot of good ones. We use Rocco & Roxie. Rehydrate, spray on enzyme cleaner, allow it to work for a while, agitate, rehydrate, vacuum. Repeat as necessary until the milk and milk smell are gone. Treat the entire area with enzyme cleaner after you're finished cleaning to allow it to continue to eat the protein in the milk.

ducksfan
08-06-2018, 06:05 PM
So, to summarize what the two previous posters said : bail. Have them take it to a professional carpet cleaner and let them thank you for your great advice.

Farmallluvr
08-06-2018, 06:10 PM
what sudsmobile said,,also if you mix some white vinegar (4 parts water to 1 part vinegar) and saturate the area it will break down the stink,,it works pretty well but it's more of an odor remover and not a cleaner.
you should still use an enzyme cleaner to break it down

sudsmobile
08-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Yeah, it's not just about the smell. The smell is the protein rotting. If you don't address the protein it will continue to rot and stink. Most enzymes cleaners also have a pretty powerful, minty aroma that does a good job of freshening the air as well.

Larry A
08-06-2018, 08:37 PM
A gallon of milk broke in my wifes mini-van and nobody knew it for 2 weeks. Did it steek. I tried everthing but nothing worked. I took it to a detail shop that we do busness with. They pulled out the seats and remover the carpet and they power washed it and let it dry .They also replaced all the padding . when I got the car back it smelled great.

kylebisson2
08-07-2018, 04:06 AM
Update: To all those who participated in the thread, the job went well. An enzyme cleaner was used followed by agitation and a wet and dry vac. Repeated that process 2 or three times. She said that the smell was gone right as she got in. I'm glad that's over lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

JKDesign
08-07-2018, 07:57 AM
Also for next time, this is available here at Autogeek: Meguiars D116 Protein Stain Remover (https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d116-protein-remover.html)

Belo
08-07-2018, 08:06 AM
Update: To all those who participated in the thread, the job went well. An enzyme cleaner was used followed by agitation and a wet and dry vac. Repeated that process 2 or three times. She said that the smell was gone right as she got in. I'm glad that's over lol.

good to hear. i was going to recommend gas and a match.

arthuruscg
08-07-2018, 02:38 PM
I've dealt with this before thanks to the kids. In a pinch the Bissell pet stain remover works but the only way to get it out short of pulling the carpet is to keep flushing the carpet until it sucks up clear.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk