PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining in fillers

Pages : [1] 2

Wolf-Strong
02-12-2008, 08:33 PM
I've been REALLY busy lately, and believe it or not, I had a Chicago Electric rotary that I bought at Harbor Freight go out on me (unbelievable!) so needless to say, I just simply do not have the time to buff out my car, which raises the question to me of using a product that has a LOT of fillers to fill in the swirls and sealing it in.

I do ONR washes once a week, and like to use a topper wax (like Eagle One Nano Spray or Meguiar's UQD) to help give the wax its maximum effect, but I am finding out they don't really cover up as much as I would like, and will wash off. Was also curious about Zaino's Z-5 if anyone has used it, and whatever else you guys have experience with. The key here is that I need a product that will not just wash away, and if it will, has a product that is very easy to maintain the filler property with (like EO Nano spray).

So, what products have you guys found that have mad skills at filling up swirls, and how would I maintain them? This is on a black car O.O

budman3
02-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Zaino Z5 (I believe) will fill in but it takes multiple coats to get anywhere. Four Star 4-40 is an AIO type product that seems to have a lot of filling. I haven't used the 4-40 by hand though, and not sure how long it'll last on its own. If you want some 4-40 let me know, I have plenty of it...

Wolf-Strong
02-12-2008, 08:57 PM
For everyones information, I don't mind spending the time initially to apply multiple layers if I only need to do it once every month or two, though six months (with proper topping off with a maintenance product) would be my ultimate goal.

budman3
02-12-2008, 09:13 PM
There was a thread on Autopia linking to another forum where someone applied many coats of Z5 on a dark blue truck which had moderate to heavy swirling. After all of the coats, some light swirling was left but a lot were hidden. I've been searching for that post but I can't seem to find it... I'm not too familiar with Zaino but I believe that person used multiple coats of Z5. And of course a benefit of Zaino is its durability.

Wolf-Strong
02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
A few others I saw that I thought would be worth mentioning and want peoples' opinion on are Klasse AIO/SG and Surf City Sealer & Glaze System.

2KLS1
02-12-2008, 11:24 PM
You want fillers, check out NTX 2.0.

Wolf-Strong
02-13-2008, 02:23 AM
You want fillers, check out NTX 2.0.
My main complaint on it is that in order to get that look again, you have to basically re-wax the car because NXT Spray wax isn't reformulated. While I can still maintain NXT with the spray wax, I then don't get the hydrophobic, or looks that the 2.0 version gives over the old one, so then I have to go back over the car with UQD every time.

It isn't that big of a deal, which is why I use it, but I am curious if there is anything out there that does a better job at filling swirls and/or is easier to maintain.

2KLS1
02-13-2008, 03:19 PM
My main complaint on it is that in order to get that look again, you have to basically re-wax the car because NXT Spray wax isn't reformulated. While I can still maintain NXT with the spray wax, I then don't get the hydrophobic, or looks that the 2.0 version gives over the old one, so then I have to go back over the car with UQD every time.

It isn't that big of a deal, which is why I use it, but I am curious if there is anything out there that does a better job at filling swirls and/or is easier to maintain.

Huh? I'm not sure I follow but there is no need for the spray wax. Now I haven't personally tried it myself, not yet but but I want to, but from what I have read consistently is that 2.0 is way more durable than the original formula so you shouldn't have to wax you car again for a few weeks. You can use UQD in between if you like. I don't have the pictures myself but I saw some on another forum and if you want fillers, you should consider this stuff.

BigFloppy
02-13-2008, 03:31 PM
I had a Chicago Electric rotary that I bought at Harbor Freight go out on me (unbelievable!)

You know that the Chicago rotary is on sale at the moment for about $25... backing plate and all! definitly a good price point even if it only gets your car done and you throw it away after that

Wolf-Strong
02-13-2008, 08:25 PM
You know that the Chicago rotary is on sale at the moment for about $25... backing plate and all! definitly a good price point even if it only gets your car done and you throw it away after that
It is always that price, it is just a matter printing out the website price. It has been $25 for a long, long time.

It isn't a matter of just going to buying a new one, but also even having the time to do so. I tried knocking it out in one day, but I simply did not have enough time to meet my expectations of a swirl free finish, and right now, it is just too much to worry about it and have settled with the fact that for this point in my life, I simply can not have a swirl free car, which is perfectly fine considering the condition on some other parts of the car that need a repaint. Plus, I absolutely love working by hand compared to machine; so relaxing and calming.

So, does anyone have some opinions on products that excell are covering up swirls with minimal effort; how do the ones I mentioned compare to NXT 2.0, or any experiences in general?

2KLS1
02-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I bought that same rotary right after the holidays for just under $20. I now its now as good as say a Makita or something like that but for that price and knowing I wasn't going to use it that much I couldn't pass it up.

Wolf-Strong
02-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah for the $25, you really can't go wrong, though I would get the warranty for the extra $5 or so because after my experience, the thing will almost defiantly break! Even so, $30 and you can polish out your car. It really is a shame that I simply do not have the time anymore, and probably for the next year, which is why I am trying to find people's experiences.

So far, I have basically ruled out Zaino after looking more into it. It seems Z-5 isn't that effective at covering stuff up. I would still LOVE to hear people's experiences with Klasse and Surf City, so post up people! I would rather save the $50, or $100 from buying one or both if they don't work any better than NXT at covering swirls.

2KLS1
02-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Yeah after I got it I though to myself maybe I should have gotten the warranty, but I was cheap. I didn't even ask how much it was, oh well. Money is really tight right now. As far as Z-5 I've heard the same thing. Even though it claims to have filling abilities most people say its very minimal if at all. Another thing you might think about is a glaze then top it with a carnauba.

Anyway I found those pics I mentioned earlier so you can see for yourself and decide if you want to try out NXT 2.0.

Before
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/2KLS1/DSC02665.jpg

After
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/2KLS1/DSC02668.jpg

Wolf-Strong
02-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Yeah after I got it I though to myself maybe I should have gotten the warranty, but I was cheap. I didn't even ask how much it was, oh well. Money is really tight right now. As far as Z-5 I've heard the same thing. Even though it claims to have filling abilities most people say its very minimal if at all. Another thing you might think about is a glaze then top it with a carnauba.

Anyway I found those pics I mentioned earlier so you can see for yourself and decide if you want to try out NXT 2.0.

Before
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/2KLS1/DSC02665.jpg

After
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/2KLS1/DSC02668.jpg
I hear ya on the money part! Awesome pictures though! My car is actually wearing NXT 2.0 at the moment, so I know just how well it works. I have some store credit at Pepboys so I think I am going to go buy some of their stuff along with NXT Spray wax. The only part that bothers me about the NXT system is that the Spray wax isn't WOWO like Eagle One's, meaning it takes a bit longer, but anywho, gotta run now!

Mr Dream Machines
02-15-2008, 08:41 AM
The best I've found are Glare and the Permagard severely and PD5000
products.

Glare Knockout removes some swirls and fills some also
Micro Finish fills in the majority if not all, by orbital, rotary or by hand
Pro polish fills in a slight amount and you apply it like a sealant twice, let it cure for 3 days and the fillers never wash out and the paint has a higher surface tension and abrasion resistance

Permagard - severely 5000 by hand will fill in just about anything by hand and when PD5000 is used in the same way as Glare pro polish, the same result happens. Locked in fillers and a crystal glass finish

These work for me and are just the unbiased opinion of a pro detailer
I usually use either brand with an orbital when I'm not doing full paint correction with abrasives