PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eraser residue on glass?

mightypudge
08-02-2018, 11:38 AM
Hey folks. My wife cleaned her windshield this weekend and apparently it was pretty filthy. She took a Magic Eraser and wetted it with Meg's APC to do both the inside and outside. Now she is saying there is some sort of visible film or residue on her windshield. I haven't scoped it out yet as I've been laid up for the past week, but internet searches indicate APC + glass = trouble.

Probably gonna have to hit it with either clay bar or compound and terry cloth. Think Citrol 266 would work?

kb2ehj
08-02-2018, 12:04 PM
Hi Mightypudge, I’ve started cleaning my glass with magic eraser and APC with no issues at all. Is there chance she didn’t wipe off any residue?

My routine (both inside and out) is magic eraser with apc, wipe after, clean with a glass clear the use a spray wax as a final step. I’ve had zero streaks using this method.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

expdetailing
08-02-2018, 12:07 PM
I've used apc + magic eraser many times, and I would say that your wife didn't get all of the apc off. Magic eraser will not scratch glass. It has to be a residue from something other than the eraser.
I suggest glass cleaner with a microfiber towel, plus some elbow grease. Recently, I have used the Zap cloth with great success. They are as good as advertised. I prefer them over towels due to them not leaving ANY lint.

FUNX650
08-02-2018, 12:07 PM
My wife cleaned her windshield this weekend...
Now she is saying there is some sort of visible
film or residue on her windshield.

Probably gonna have to hit it with either
clay bar or compound and terry cloth.

Bob

mightypudge
08-02-2018, 12:51 PM
I've used apc + magic eraser many times, and I would say that your wife didn't get all of the apc off. Magic eraser will not scratch glass. It has to be a residue from something other than the eraser.
I suggest glass cleaner with a microfiber towel, plus some elbow grease. Recently, I have used the Zap cloth with great success. They are as good as advertised. I prefer them over towels due to them not leaving ANY lint.

I love those Zap cloths. I have about a dozen of them and they are all I use on my GTI, unless I am removing bird poop first.

joecollectin
08-02-2018, 01:56 PM
I've used the magic erasers for years now - my suggestion is to just use the eraser with clean water. That will take everything off the glass - then wipe/polish with MF.

Audi Rick
08-02-2018, 02:20 PM
Zap Cloth

PaulMys
08-02-2018, 07:42 PM
Zap Cloth

I am a recent convert to the Zap Cloth.

Kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

Eldorado2k
08-02-2018, 07:48 PM
I am a recent convert to the Zap Cloth.

Kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

What does it do great?

PaulMys
08-02-2018, 07:56 PM
What does it do great?

Wipes 100% streak free.

Clean with Sprayway, then just wet the ZC, wring it out, and wipe.

Not one trace of a streak.

ducksfan
08-02-2018, 09:55 PM
But, there was a poster on here recently (Sorry, don’t remember who) that stated he was getting streakfree glass with regular micro fibers and Griots rinseless wash. I’ve tried it a couple times with streakfree results and the glass looked great. So we’ll see. Hopefully, one more specialized MF I don’t need to keep in the system.

Oh, I used the rinseless @ 1:15. Not sure at what dilution the other poster used.