PDA

View Full Version : Torn Vinyl Repair

UncleDavy
07-31-2018, 09:07 PM
Hi Guys. The wife surprised me with this today. We were helping a friend move and a picture frame ripped the vinyl in the interior panel of the back door. Is this repairable?

PaulMys
07-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Damn, UD....... :/

In my 25+ years in the marine industry, I always found those vinyl repair kits to be smoke & mirrors.

I hope someone will chime in to tell me I'm wrong............ :(

sudsmobile
07-31-2018, 09:25 PM
When I used to do high end boat audio installs (like installs costing $10-50k), we would rip or scuff vinyl inside the boat from time to time. It was inevitable when working in tight spaces with tools and amps and speakers. We had a vinyl repair guy that we called and when he was done you could never tell there was an issue. Of course, the vinyl repair industry might be bigger here than in MA, but at least you know it can be done easily.

UncleDavy
07-31-2018, 09:28 PM
I am not even going to attempt a Do It Yourself deal here Paulie. I was hoping for a professional recommendation or hear from some people with positive experiences with Dr. Vinyl or one of those types of places.

UncleDavy
07-31-2018, 09:32 PM
When I used to do high end boat audio installs (like installs costing $10-50k), we would rip or scuff vinyl inside the boat from time to time. It was inevitable when working in tight spaces with tools and amps and speakers. We had a vinyl repair guy that we called and when he was done you could never tell there was an issue. Of course, the vinyl repair industry might be bigger here than in MA, but at least you know it can be done easily.

That is good to hear Sudsie. There is a local auto interior repair and customizing shop in Raynham, MA not far from me. There is also a Dr. Vinyl franchisee in Braintree that I might check out. I figured that there might be some talented professionals out there that could work a miracle.

sudsmobile
07-31-2018, 09:39 PM
I've watched them do it a million times. It looks pretty easy when somebody else is doing it. :D

PaulMys
07-31-2018, 09:41 PM
I am not even going to attempt a Do It Yourself deal here Paulie. I was hoping for a professional recommendation or hear from some people with positive experiences with Dr. Vinyl or one of those types of places.

Yeah, I was sure you wouldn't.

PaulMys
07-31-2018, 09:44 PM
That is good to hear Sudsie. There is a local auto interior repair and customizing shop in Raynham, MA not far from me. There is also a Dr. Vinyl franchisee in Braintree that I might check out. I figured that there might be some talented professionals out there that could work a miracle.

Just going by town names, I'd be most inclined to use the "Braintree" outfit.

Sounds like they know what they are doing......... :laughing: