PDA

View Full Version : "Polishing" my workflow!

Jon TDS
07-31-2018, 06:57 PM
So I have asked some of you thru PMs for help in "polishing" my workflow. I received some answers and Mike Phillips is right, posting in forum would help a lot more people. Very good insight!

A little of background... I recently started my mobile detailing business when my family moved here in US a few months ago. Before this, I have been detailing for family and friends since 2005. Was unplugged from the detailing world for a good 8 years when my wife and I worked in Singapore. Didn't realize how helpful technology is to this industry; from ceramic coating to new brands!

1st question: I have a porter Cable with 5" backing plate with me right now. I will likely get a boss 15 in future. Can I still use the same backing plate I use with PC for the Boss? So I can use the same LC pads? And I can attach a 3" backing plate to the PC?

2nd question: If LSP = coating
a. If soft paint, carpro essence xtreme with polishing or cutting pad (I have LC thinpro orange and white)
b. If hard paint, carpro essence xtreme with finishing pad* (I have LC thinpro black; should I use gloss pad by carpro?)

*I don't understand why a finishing pad would be used to "correct" when using essence. Is it because of the filling capabilities?
PM reply from Avi: Its the filling plus the polishing, finish pad will be enough , specially if its soft paint, if its harder you could use medium foam polishing pad. but need to test always , on small area

3rd question: If LSP = wax / sealant
a. If soft paint, HD speed/Megs d300/bf 1 step with polishing or cutting pad
b. If hard paint, HD speed/megs d300/bf 1 step with MF / wool pad?

Thanks guys!

Calendyr
08-01-2018, 01:50 AM
So I have asked some of you thru PMs for help in "polishing" my workflow. I received some answers and Mike Phillips is right, posting in forum would help a lot more people. Very good insight!

A little of background... I recently started my mobile detailing business when my family moved here in US a few months ago. Before this, I have been detailing for family and friends since 2005. Was unplugged from the detailing world for a good 8 years when my wife and I worked in Singapore. Didn't realize how helpful technology is to this industry; from ceramic coating to new brands!

1st question: I have a porter Cable with 5" backing plate with me right now. I will likely get a boss 15 in future. Can I still use the same backing plate I use with PC for the Boss? So I can use the same LC pads? And I can attach a 3" backing plate to the PC?

a. If soft paint, carpro essence xtreme with polishing or cutting pad (I have LC thinpro orange and white)
b. If hard paint, carpro essence xtreme with finishing pad* (I have LC thinpro black; should I use gloss pad by carpro?)

*I don't understand why a finishing pad would be used to "correct" when using essence. Is it because of the filling capabilities?
PM reply from Avi: Its the filling plus the polishing, finish pad will be enough , specially if its soft paint, if its harder you could use medium foam polishing pad. but need to test always , on small area

Thanks guys!

1: No, the backplate for the Boss has a different mount, they are not compatible.

2: I don't use essence to polish. I use it as a ceramic glaze. So I won't give you advice on it for correction. Make sure essence is compatible with the coating you choose. It is not compatible with Gtechniq products according to some.

3: Don't understand your question... HD Speed is a wax with fillers and some limited cutting ability. D300 is a compound that finishes like a polish.

The Guz
08-01-2018, 02:16 AM
Avi makes a solid point in letting the test spot dictate how the paint will react. Then you can determine if the paint is soft, medium or hard.

Eldorado2k
08-01-2018, 02:26 AM
Don’t expect any miracles with Essence.. Way back I ordered Essence and a pair of Gloss Pads and got my hopes up way too high. I was even promising friends and potential customers never before seen shine once I got this new batch of magic polish to use... Needless to say I never quite dug out from the depths of the letdown of that combo. Lol.

Mike Phillips
08-01-2018, 04:55 AM

I've been answering car detailing questions professionally since 2002, that's 16 years, not as long as some, longer than most. The forum isn't set up for me to answser questions via PM, if it was, might as well shut down the forum and just have a page with an e-mail link.

As I logged in this morning, I already have 3 PMs asking me questions and 3 new e-mails asking me questions. I won't answer via PM or Email, I'll use this template I wrote here,

Question asking template (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions-/118482-question-asking-template.html)

(a Sticky in this forum group), and answer them publicly. There is a TON more benefit answering questions publicly than privately.

Than you Jon for bring your questions to the forum.

No. The Griot's BOSS tools use a single bolt in the center of the backing plate to attach the backing plate to the spindle of the tool.

Yes. You can get a 3" backing plate for your PC to churn and turn smaller pads. Be careful, when you put a small pad on a large tool and use it on horizontal surfaces the tool becomes as I coined the term, tippy. It's not tippy when working vertical panels because at this point YOU are supporting the weight of the tools and then pressing it against the paint. But when buffing flat panels, it's all to easy to let the weight of the tool be the downward pressure (for small pads which compress easily), and if you are NOT focusing on the task at hand, the tool can be tippy.

Like mentioned - do a Test Spot - then let the results from your test spot dictate your process. I recently wrote an article recommending that when using ANY one-step type product, you do a test spot to ensure the pad is not creating pad haze. If you use too aggressive of a pad with any one step and don't catch the pad haze in the test spot - you could end up buffing out the car a SECOND time to remove the haze.

Good rule of thumb when using an AIO - stick with foam polishing pads by Mike Phillips (https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/2018-new-car-detailing-how-to-article-by-mike-phillips/119642-good-rule-thumb-when-using-aio-stick-foam-polishing-pads-mike-phillips.html)

I'd recommend reading the article I wrote above. Pads CAN scratch or mar the paint. Anyone that's ever used a microfiber pad on an orbital polisher on soft paint knows exactly what micro-marring looks like.

In all may classes, I teach everyone that micro-marring is the kind, fluffy word for SCRATCHING. The word marring doesn't sound as bad as scratching and that's why we use it but the truth is marring = scratching.

Thanks guys!

Always finis out with foam and then you never have to worry about micro-marring, both the seen and the un-seen.

Good to see you back in the detailing world Jon.

:)

Jon TDS
08-01-2018, 09:37 AM
3: Don't understand your question... HD Speed is a wax with fillers and some limited cutting ability. D300 is a compound that finishes like a polish.

Thanks man. On point 3, you're right, these two are not really apples to apples; however as some noted that d300 can sometimes be LSP ready hence I added that to the mix.

Don’t expect any miracles with Essence.. Way back I ordered Essence and a pair of Gloss Pads and got my hopes up way too high. I was even promising friends and potential customers never before seen shine once I got this new batch of magic polish to use... Needless to say I never quite dug out from the depths of the letdown of that combo. Lol.

Got it Eldo. Won't be buying those pads for now. I just saw Cruz had success with Meg's MF finishing pad, so I'll try that.

There is a TON more benefit answering questions publicly than privately.

Thank you Jon for bring your questions to the forum.

Agreed and welcome!

No. The Griot's BOSS tools use a single bolt in the center of the backing plate to attach the backing plate to the spindle of the tool.

Got it! My "loss" will be just the backing plate I suppose as I can use the 5.5 pads that I have.

Yes. You can get a 3" backing plate for your PC to churn and turn smaller pads. Be careful, when you put a small pad on a large tool and use it on horizontal surfaces the tool becomes as I coined the term, tippy. It's not tippy when working vertical panels because at this point YOU are supporting the weight of the tools and then pressing it against the paint. But when buffing flat panels, it's all to easy to let the weight of the tool be the downward pressure (for small pads which compress easily), and if you are NOT focusing on the task at hand, the tool can be tippy.

Roger that. Might as well get a dedicated 3 in polisher.

Like mentioned - do a Test Spot -

Test spot - check! Read the link - check!

Good to see you back in the detailing world Jon. :)

Good to be back!

SWETM
08-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Your old polisher with a 3" backing plate you could use as a dedicated 3" polisher.

I link some other products that you could consider. A Sonax combo with synergy and a Sio2 AIO with up to 6 months longevity on it's own. Or use it as primer for britemax coatings.

SONAX Paint Cleaner, sonax prewax cleaner, sonax car polish, sonax cleaner polish (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-paint-cleaner.html)

SONAX NanoTechnology Liquid Wax, sonax liquid car wax, car wax sealant, wax protectant, auto wax (https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-nano-liquid-wax.html)

Britemax Virtue SiO2 High Gloss Primer Polish (https://www.autogeek.net/britemax-virtue-primer-polish.html)

You have got some great answers on your questions already so I have not anything to ad in those.

/Tony

Cruzscarwash
08-01-2018, 12:47 PM
i use essacnce to add high gloss, it does add extreme gloss and its very glassy. but i generally use it as a final step and do quick passes or as a primer for coating. its been doing great as a primer before mckees sio2 paint coat.

Jon TDS
08-01-2018, 02:14 PM
i use essacnce to add high gloss, it does add extreme gloss and its very glassy. but i generally use it as a final step and do quick passes or as a primer for coating. its been doing great as a primer before mckees sio2 paint coat.

Thanks Cruz. I saw your post in another thread that you had success with Essence together with Megs MF finishing pad, correct? Did you use it as a final step or as an AIO (plus a coat?)?

Cruzscarwash
08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Thanks Cruz. I saw your post in another thread that you had success with Essence together with Megs MF finishing pad, correct? Did you use it as a final step or as an AIO (plus a coat?)?It really depends on the paint, and how it reacts after the test spot. Nothing is really ever an aio process or else this profession would be a breeze

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maxreed241
08-01-2018, 03:32 PM

Do you use Essence or Essence Plus before Mckees SiO2 paint coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

The Guz
08-01-2018, 03:45 PM
Do you use Essence or Essence Plus before Mckees SiO2 paint coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Essence Plus is not recommended to be used prior to a coating.

Cruzscarwash
08-01-2018, 03:50 PM
Essence Plus is not recommended to be used prior to a coating.Yes, what max said

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Maxreed241
08-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Essence Plus is not recommended to be used prior to a coating.

Why isn’t it recommended?

The Guz
08-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Why isn’t it recommended?

I'll let you read the FAQ's from CarPro's site.

FAQ: CarPro Essence PLUS

Q. What tool do you expect Essence PLUS to be used as most?

A. We expect that its most widely used application will be as a solution to a client that wants aggressive decontamination service but is unable to afford polishing… Marring from heavy claying or synthetic clay discs causes marring but with Essence PLUS it can be easily repaired and protected in one step. To be clear this is NOT the way we would use it in all scenarios but this is a widely experience challenge and a solution for it!

Q. Is this like CarPro Essence?

A. NO, this is NOTHING like Essence. This is an ENTIRELY new product.

’‘Q. So how is it different?

A. In just about every way!

PLUS contains zero abrasives!

PLUS is extremely hydrophobic!

PLUS is NOT a primer and Essence is THE Primer.

PLUS is made for using on TOP of a damaged coating (or as another type of service on raw paint)

Q. How are they the same?

A. They both contain a Sio2 coating inside them that has filling capabilities, but Essence PLUS levels existing damaged coatings by building up. CarPro Essence on the other levels mostly with abrasives and partially with Sio2 coat.

Q. Can I use Essence PLUS on top of Essence?

A. Yes!

Q. Can I use Reload over the top of Essence PLUS?

A. Yes!

Q. Can I use Essence PLUS underneath CQuartz like I did with Essence?

A. No, this is not a primer like Essence is and coatings will not bond on top! If used inconjunction with a coating, this goes on TOP, not bottom.

Q. Can I use Essence PLUS to repair gloss and hydrophobic to a damaged coating?

A. Yes, depending on the level of damage you certainly can. That was the primary concept for this product. In some cases over time or through abuse, a coating can become damaged. Rather then removing and replacing the coating as your only option, we designed ES PLUS to provide another option of correcting or extending its life.

Q. How long does it last?

A. The truth is we cannot yet say. We have not yet tested to full capacity and we will certainly keep you updated as continued testing from all climates comes back. Early testing suggests months of beading and up to a year of repair to faint swirls.

Q. If I want to use it on a damaged coating, should I use a Microfiber pad and machine?

A. No, The Microfiber pad is abrasive and will remove the coating! You want to use only a CarPro Gloss pad as directed OR use by hand as directed. If that is not sufficient then you would be better off switching to CarPro Essence and other methods.