PDA

View Full Version : brand new 911 Carrera, blemish / scratch? on very first day, nooooo

Pages : [1] 2

kage65
07-31-2018, 06:50 PM
I'm in disbelief. I ordered a brand new 911 carrera S , jet black. I drive it only 35 miles home and notice this ( image)
I'm not even worried about the hand print. I noticed that when I picked up the car.
I took a pic of the car just before I left the dealership, and when I blow it up, I'm fairly certain I see the scratch in the photo, though its tough to see. But its just to the right of the hand print, behind the rear drivers side window.
(well I tried to add this image and it says there is an error everytime I try to upload it.)

If this was indeed there before I left, I have no idea how I missed it.

Anyways, can anything be done about this? I'm super upset about it. Tks

rlmccarty2000
07-31-2018, 07:13 PM
It depends on how deep the scratch is. Does your fingernail go into it when you drag your finger across it? If it does not then it will probably buff right out. Even if your nail does catch buffing will make it less noticeable, unless it is down to the primer. So very sorry this happened to your new car. Really sucks.

PaulMys
07-31-2018, 07:22 PM
That is a bummer, man.

rlm's post above is spot on.

If it does catch your nail, back to the dealer. You have a pic, and if it was with your phone, a documented time of photo.

Paul A.
07-31-2018, 07:43 PM
I agree, depth is the key to whether or not I attempt to buff it out or bring it back to the dealer.

I would hate to think that a brand new 911 customer would be told by the dealer "well, you drove it off the lot so nothing we can do".

Again, if its not deep enough to catch my fingernail I'm tackling this myself. I hope that's your case.

kage65
07-31-2018, 08:05 PM
It depends on how deep the scratch is. Does your fingernail go into it when you drag your finger across it? If it does not then it will probably buff right out. Even if your nail does catch buffing will make it less noticeable, unless it is down to the primer. So very sorry this happened to your new car. Really sucks.

I've been afraid to mess with it - thinking I may make it worse? I'm hoping to get the car to my detail guy tomorrow and finding out more. Tks

kage65
07-31-2018, 08:13 PM
That is a bummer, man.

rlm's post above is spot on.

If it does catch your nail, back to the dealer. You have a pic, and if it was with your phone, a documented time of photo.

Just for arguments sake lets say it catches the nail. What can the dealer do? Repaint the panel? Tks

kage65
07-31-2018, 08:16 PM
Again, if its not deep enough to catch my fingernail I'm tackling this myself. I hope that's your case.

If that's the case, do you think you would be able to get rid of it without leaving swirl marks? In other words take care of it so that you would not have know it was there? Tks

PaulMys
07-31-2018, 08:31 PM
Just for arguments sake lets say it catches the nail. What can the dealer do? Repaint the panel? Tks

Send it to their body shop at the very least.

Give you the same (different) car without a scratch at the most.

I work at a Ford dealer. If you didn't catch the scratch, the prep guys/salesman certainly should have.

Hell, I'm the lot guy. I would've noticed that right off the bat on delivery as I stocked it in.

LEDetailing
07-31-2018, 10:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180801/9cace0d238f44335a5928cf00b8c3286.jpg

I use Tapatalk for uploading photos. So much easier.

Sorry to see that on a new car. Hope you are able to get it squared out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markymapo
08-01-2018, 12:01 AM
Keep us posted on the outcome.

Paul A.
08-01-2018, 07:50 AM
If that's the case, do you think you would be able to get rid of it without leaving swirl marks? In other words take care of it so that you would not have know it was there? Tks

I would absolutely evaluate the condition of the scratch with my magnifier and then attempt to either totally remove it if thin enough or at least minimize it significantly. My last resort is wetsanding the scratch but even that is ONLY after attempts to buff or cut it down gently. And NO swirls left after any and all attempts.

Plus, for the life of the car I would always consider I had thinned the paint in that area and be extra careful when doing future corrections.

I suggest all of the above if the final disposition is that you have to live with it. You said you have a photo of it while still at the dealership and can document it was there from them. Like I said, I would think Porsche might want to keep you happy and I would explore everything with them first.

kage65
08-01-2018, 02:55 PM
It depends on how deep the scratch is. Does your fingernail go into it when you drag your finger across it?

I don't think so. I can't say it goes "inside" it. There is definitely a bit of a "catch" of the nail as it goes over, but what seems to be causing the catch is whatever material is on top, rather than a catch that would be caused by moving from one plateau of the paint down to another, if that makes sense.
All in all its hard for me to tell having no experience with testing scratches. Still waiting to hear back from the detail person but will update when I have any news.

Sizzle Chest
08-01-2018, 05:57 PM
What is your location/where are you?

kage65
08-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Good news. Took it to my ppf guy and he took care of it in 5 minutes. Turns out it was just on the surface. I don't think it even was into the clear coat.
Now let's just hope there are no paint chips or anything thing else found before the film goes on. I looked around and did not see any so should be fine there (fingers crossed).

Paul A.
08-02-2018, 07:58 AM
That's GREAT to hear!

I couldn't tell from your picture at the time but I was quietly hoping it was a scuff/rub. I've had several cases of transfer or scuffs/rubs that are on top of the paint and a good chemically based cleaner polish whisks it off the paint in no time. The best thing with that is you are left with the original paint thickness or close to it anyway...especially important especially with brand new paint.