PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions on Repairing Bolt Holes in a Truck Bed

deuce01
07-30-2018, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure this belongs in the 101 forum so please move it to the correct one if it doesn't.

I recently purchased an old F150 that had a camper top on it. It was decided that the top wasn't necessary (not to mention "ugly" and created blind spots) so we removed it. Unfortunately, that's left several holes in the top of the bed sides. I'm concerned that they will become a source for rust and should probably be filled. What's the easiest way to fill them that doesn't look like crap? I'd prefer not to go the body shop route if I can keep from it.

Thanks in advance!

Munsey

ducksfan
07-31-2018, 12:33 AM
I'm not sure this belongs in the 101 forum so please move it to the correct one if it doesn't.

I recently purchased an old F150 that had a camper top on it. It was decided that the top wasn't necessary (not to mention "ugly" and created blind spots) so we removed it. Unfortunately, that's left several holes in the top of the bed sides. I'm concerned that they will become a source for rust and should probably be filled. What's the easiest way to fill them that doesn't look like crap? I'd prefer not to go the body shop route if I can keep from it.

Thanks in advance!

Munsey

Have you considered some kind of a button plug that you could permanently glue in place.

DBAILEY
07-31-2018, 07:38 AM
Yeah, maybe some rustoleum on the bare metal and then something like a rubber grommet plug

deuce01
08-01-2018, 07:58 AM
I kinda figured it'd involve a plug of some kind. Just thought I'd ask and see if there was something i had overlooked. I'll see what i can find and post back later.

Thanks guys!

Farmallluvr
08-01-2018, 02:07 PM
Or rust converter,touch up paint
and a plastic bed rail protector

deuce01
08-01-2018, 03:20 PM
Didn't even know those existed. I think something like this may be a nice option. Thanks for the suggestion!

Dee Zee Diamond-Tread Side Truck Bed Caps (https://www.autoanything.com/bed-caps-rails/dee-zee-diamond-tread-side-bed-caps)

Munsey

derass
08-01-2018, 04:18 PM
Ya, definitely put some paint or primer on the exposed metal edge of the holes. They'll probably start rusting otherwise. Then you can put a plug or the bed side cap.