PDA

View Full Version : Rupes 15. Or?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

RiverCityAutoSpa
07-30-2018, 12:48 PM
I have a pc7424 I will be upgrading very soon.
A lot of the “pros” here use rupes.
Plan on joining the game with a 15 mark ii
i noticed its the same “random orbital” as my pc.
Kind of thinking maybe the flex since it never stops spinning.
The rupes will make the same motion as the 7424...

WaxMaster1
07-30-2018, 01:02 PM
I have a pc7424 I will be upgrading very soon.
A lot of the “pros” here use rupes.
Plan on joining the game with a 15 mark ii
i noticed its the same “random orbital” as my pc.
Kind of thinking maybe the flex since it never stops spinning.
The rupes will make the same motion as the 7424...

Nothing wrong with the Porter Cable, it's a workhorse.

Sure, a lot of "pros" use Rupes among other brands. I'm an amateur, if you will, and I have 4 Rupes tools.

The LHR15 MKII is a great tool to start with from them and yes it is the same "Random Orbit" as the PC with almost double the "throw" being 15mm instead of 8mm I believe, making it correct much faster

You can go with a Rupes Mille if you don't want your tool to stall. Or you can go with a FLEX 3401 or the Makita PO5000c which are all gear driven, forced rotation.

RiverCityAutoSpa
07-30-2018, 02:41 PM
Ok I’ll have to look into the Millie or the flex.
The random orbital isn’t a full circle correct? Just quick back and forths? Whereas the Mille and such are directional full circles?

I’ll have to check pricing I believe the Millie lk900e? Is about 450-500? Is that the correct model?

Rsurfer
07-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Ok I’ll have to look into the Millie or the flex.
The random orbital isn’t a full circle correct? Just quick back and forths? Whereas the Mille and such are directional full circles?

I’ll have to check pricing I believe the Millie lk900e? Is about 450-500? Is that the correct model?
They all rotate, however, the free spinning dual action polishers must be kept flat or they will stall. The gear driven machines (Flex 3401, Rupes Mille) will not stall on curves or when being tilted because they are gear driven.

Calendyr
07-30-2018, 04:32 PM
Well... they may be all random orbital, actually they are Dual-Action, Random Orbital + Rotation, but there are major differences between the models.

In the case of Griot's Garage machines, they offer the normal DA which is called the 6 inch machine I think. The difference between that and your PC is the power of the motor. So it's a little bit better than the PC. Both are 8mm throw machines, meaning the orbit of the pad is 8mm wide.

Then you have the Boss serie which has 2 machines: The G15 and the G21. The number represents the throw, so a 15mm machine and a 21mm one. The larger the throw, the more correction capability the machine has, so at the same motor power, a 21mm will correct paint faster than a 15mm and way faster than an 8mm. The downside to larger throw is that they don't work well on curved panels, especially if it's a concave panel. If find that the sweet spot is with the 15mm machine, but a 21mm with a 5 inch backplate will work nicelly in most cases.

Forced rotation are different beasts, I have never used one but think of them as a rotary polisher that has a bit of orbital action. I know they are harder to control and that they vibrate more, and for those two reasons I have never been interested in one but there are plenty of detailers who swear by them. Again, those are gonna offer much better correction than you PC.

Calendyr
07-30-2018, 04:35 PM
Forgot.

As for brands, do some research. I think Rupes have the smootest machines, but their warranty sucks. Griot's have the best warranty on the market, I would go with them for that reason alone. The machines are nice too but not as nice as a Rupes. As for other brands there are plenty of chinesse knockouts of both the Rupes and other brands. You can get them for a fraction of the price, so that is an other option.

Rsurfer
07-30-2018, 04:45 PM
Forgot.

As for brands, do some research. I think Rupes have the smootest machines, but their warranty sucks. Griot's have the best warranty on the market, I would go with them for that reason alone. The machines are nice too but not as nice as a Rupes. As for other brands there are plenty of chinesse knockouts of both the Rupes and other brands. You can get them for a fraction of the price, so that is an other option.

Why go for a Chinese knock off, when you can get an original (Griot). LOL

Eldorado2k
07-30-2018, 04:51 PM
I'm an amateur, if you will, and I have 4 Rupes tools.

Stop lying, you’re the WaxMaster. Lol.

Why go for a Chinese knock off, when you can get an original (Griot). LOL

Isn’t the Griots Boss made in China?[emoji630]

Dan Tran
07-30-2018, 04:54 PM
The Rupes LHR 15 Mark II is a wonderful machine.

I occasionally miss my Griot’s Garage 15 because I love the Ergonomics.

However, recently I have been becoming more in love with my Flex Finisher. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I currently use a 21mm long throw right now and going back to a 15mm long throw seems MORE smoother to work with.

dennis hiip
07-30-2018, 06:05 PM
Since detailing is a hobby for me, I can't see $400 for a polisher. If I used it every day, then I probably would. I went with Adams SK. It's great. Actually I don't think it's a comprimise. Also, Shinemate looks good.

WaxMaster1
07-30-2018, 06:20 PM
Stop lying, you’re the WaxMaster. Lol.

I always try and stay humble yet I always get outed. ;)

Rsurfer
07-30-2018, 06:38 PM
Since detailing is a hobby for me, I can't see $400 for a polisher. If I used it every day, I would get the premium. I went with Adams SK. It's great. Also, Shinemate looks good.

If you tried both the Rupes and the Adams you would know why one costs $400.

PaulMys
07-30-2018, 06:40 PM
I always try and stay humble yet I always get outed. ;)

That's true, Old Master of Wax!!!! :dblthumb2:

VISITOR
07-30-2018, 07:17 PM
lots of great choices out there with different features that separate one from another. it just comes down to personal preference on what you like about the tool and what comes along with it (example: Lifetime Warranty as opposed to only a 1 year warranty) and they will all do the same job. no right or wrong choice as long as you are happy with whatever you choose which is the bottom line. to the OP, check out the videos below if you haven't already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A

PaulMys
07-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Forgot.

lots of great choices out there with different features that separate one from another. it just comes down to personal preference on what you like about the tool and what comes along with it (example: Lifetime Warranty as opposed to only a 1 year warranty) and they will all do the same job. no right or wrong choice as long as you are happy with whatever you choose which is the bottom line. to the OP, check out the video below if you haven't already...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A

Agree 100% on the warranty. For me, that is of the utmost importance. And that goes for anything, not just polishers.

Customer service is the next most important thing. Without that, you have nothing in my opinion.