PDA

View Full Version : CQUK 3.0 - No water beading only after 2 weeks....

Pages : [1] 2

choijw2
07-30-2018, 10:16 AM
First time using CQUK 3.0, (on 2018 VW GTI)

I had experience with older CQUK and loved it, but some reason
this 3.0 failed after 2 weeks, no beading... super slow sheating like paint has no wax/ sealant or anything on it.

as prep, full wash/ decon and finishing polished with Scholl S30 and preped with gyeon prep.

Small section at a time, for hood I broke it into either 4-5 sections,

last night when washed, I noticed water wasnt beading or sheating and just stayed on flat panel and even on doors
it wasn't as aggressive ....

It was pretty humid inside of garage when I was applying it, but would this cause coating to fail this quickly?

The Guz
07-30-2018, 11:04 AM
Something is definitely not right. I applied it to my personal car 2 weeks ago and it is doing just fine. The temperature for when I applied it was in the mid 80's with around 35% humidity.

Your prep looks fine.

What type of environment has the car been exposed to? Rain?

Jon TDS
07-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Disclaimer: I have no experience yet

How about reload after cquk?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

fly07sti
07-30-2018, 11:56 AM
What soap did you wash with?

luckydawg
07-30-2018, 03:30 PM
What soap did you wash with?
Kind of puzzled @ this ?-- why would it matter?

If he used a "coating"- that should not matter I'm pretty sure, wax or sealant maybe a different story -- but a soap taking off a fresh "coating" ???
Correct me if I'm wrong though

Legacykid
07-30-2018, 04:05 PM

If he used a "coating"- that should not matter I'm pretty sure, wax or sealant maybe a different story -- but a soap taking off a fresh "coating" ???

If a soap has any "wax" in it, it basically applies a layer (now using the hydrophobic properties of said "wax" ontop on the coating) Once this is removed or wares down the coating should act as normal again. If this is the case in this situation.

kodakdave
07-30-2018, 04:12 PM
If a soap has any "wax" in it, it basically applies a layer (now using the hydrophobic properties of said "wax" ontop on the coating) Once this is removed or wares down the coating should act as normal again. If this is the case in this situation.

Yeah most people use carpro reset with their coatings. I use the megs blue shampoo plus d111 (it has gloss enhancers) and never had any problem though with hydrophobic issues.

Rsurfer
07-30-2018, 04:39 PM
First time using CQUK 3.0, (on 2018 VW GTI)

I had experience with older CQUK and loved it, but some reason
this 3.0 failed after 2 weeks, no beading... super slow sheating like paint has no wax/ sealant or anything on it.

as prep, full wash/ decon and finishing polished with Scholl S30 and preped with gyeon prep.

Small section at a time, for hood I broke it into either 4-5 sections,

last night when washed, I noticed water wasnt beading or sheating and just stayed on flat panel and even on doors
it wasn't as aggressive ....

It was pretty humid inside of garage when I was applying it, but would this cause coating to fail this quickly?

Sounds like you have some surface contaminates that your washing did not remove.

luckydawg
07-30-2018, 04:42 PM
I use a sealant about once every 4 to 5 washes ( wash every week to 10/12 days),and when I first hose it down or if it rains- little to no beading

But after all the dirt is washed off-- beads great------ for me sealants are the way to go

choijw2
07-30-2018, 05:16 PM
Something is definitely not right. I applied it to my personal car 2 weeks ago and it is doing just fine. The temperature for when I applied it was in the mid 80's with around 35% humidity.

Your prep looks fine.

What type of environment has the car been exposed to? Rain?

temp was similar, but humidity was mid 40s.

After CQUK installation, car stayed in garage for 2 days, before it went outside for the first time.
I did find couple high spots that I missed during buff and it did rain quite a lot here after the installation.

Disclaimer: I have no experience yet

How about reload after cquk?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

CQUK was topped with reload about hour after installation,
speaking of reload, i remember seeing some streaking during buffing off reload...

hmmm

TTQ B4U
07-30-2018, 05:26 PM
Did you wipe it off too soon? The only thing I can figure is either the surface wasn't clear of oils or other stuff that impeded it from bonding to the paint or that you wiped it off way too soon or aggressively or something. I've never had a coating not bond.

Audi Rick
07-30-2018, 05:34 PM
Streaks with Reload shouldn't mean anything. There are a few lucky ones who claim to have never had an issue with that.

DMW
07-30-2018, 05:48 PM
I don't even know if it's possible to wipe UK 3.0 off too soon. That stuff flashes fast.

The Guz
07-30-2018, 06:30 PM
temp was similar, but humidity was mid 40s.

After CQUK installation, car stayed in garage for 2 days, before it went outside for the first time.
I did find couple high spots that I missed during buff and it did rain quite a lot here after the installation.

CQUK was topped with reload about hour after installation,
speaking of reload, i remember seeing some streaking during buffing off reload...

hmmm

I doubt the temperature played a factor in the coating not working properly.

In theory Reload is supposed to protect the coating if it will be exposed to rain.

I am going to make an assumption and say that the car was driven in rain? If so you may be up against surface contaminants aka road grime that your shampoo did not remove just as someone else mentioned. Do you have Reset on hand to wash it and see if that helps restore the properties of the coating?

I don't even know if it's possible to wipe UK 3.0 off too soon. That stuff flashes fast.

I agree that it does flash fast.

fly07sti
07-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Because I have seen many people use soaps like Megs Gold Class for example to maintain there coating and it temporarily changed the beading and sheeting characteristics of the coating. While you “can” wash the coating with whatever you’d like, it may not perform optimally as it should when washed with a high quality soap such as Reset or Megs HW. Not saying it removed the coating whatsoever, but just changed the performance characteristics with whatever’s in a specific soap.
I have had a few of my own customers do it and when I showed them the difference between what I recommended them to use as opposed to what they ended up using. When they see it first hand, they order the soap I recommend to them in the first place.