PDA

View Full Version : Clay not removing all of the contaminants

Goonie75
07-29-2018, 09:35 PM
Hi to all. I'm working on a 2018 Cadillac CTS - V platinum and its black. I did the baggy test and it had a lot of contaminants.

I used heavy clay medium clay a clay mit and synthetic clay and that did not remove all of the above surface contaminants. I did the baggy test and it was better but it was not as smooth as I typically get it. I've never had this happen before. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there a way to fix it?

Thanks...

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

TMQ
07-29-2018, 09:55 PM
I've always have some contaminates still after a clay job.

I usually don't worry much about it.

I just simply go the the next step and polish out the paint---that should take the remaining stuff out.

Tom

Goonie75
07-29-2018, 09:56 PM
Right on buddy. Thanks Tom. I was hoping it was something like that. That's next.

Peace

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

Calendyr
07-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Yes. The idea is the remove as much as possible so you won't get your polishing pad dirty. But in essence you could skip the step completelly and the contaminants would be removed during the polishing step. The issue is you will have to clean your pads more often. If I was one of the people using 1 pad per panel, I would probably not clay at all. But since I use about 2 or 3 pads per vehicule, I think synthetic clay used during the rinseless wash is a good use of my time.

Goonie75
07-29-2018, 10:15 PM
Yes. The idea is the remove as much as possible so you won't get your polishing pad dirty. But in essence you could skip the step completelly and the contaminants would be removed during the polishing step. The issue is you will have to clean your pads more often. If I was one of the people using 1 pad per panel, I would probably not clay at all. But since I use about 2 or 3 pads per vehicule, I think synthetic clay used during the rinseless wash is a good use of my time.Nice tip. Thank you. I'm erring on the side of save my pads... lol. New job too. Therapist 20 years now polishing paint and going for a good impression first maybe. Lol. Cutting and polishing starts tomorrow. We will see.

Thanks a lot...

Peace

This is the ride....

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/252af31acd27fcfccada3c8358812c0a.jpg

Eldorado2k
07-30-2018, 02:59 AM
That’s a Cadillac CT6.

And it’s common for heavy contaminants to survive through the compounding... I’ve seen it happen several times. The only sure way to eliminate it is via claybar or claymitt/towel/pad. Not to mention, when the contaminants are bad enough to survive the buffing, it’s impossible for them to go unnoticed as it slows the process down considerably.

Light contaminants are nothing... But try to buff through heavy contaminants [for example an older vehicle that’s never been properly cared for] and you’ll be wishing you took the time to decontaminate 1st.

As far as the paint somehow not being able to get smooth? If it were me I’d keep going with plenty of lube and a Med. Grade Nanoskin Mitt until it got smooth.. It sounds pretty extreme from what you’re describing, all the more reason to fully knock it out. Once you’re done make sure to serve that Cadillac justice and lay down a solid layer of protection. Geterdun.[emoji1417]

Goonie75
07-30-2018, 05:41 AM
That’s a Cadillac CT6.

And it’s common for heavy contaminants to survive through the compounding... I’ve seen it happen several times. The only sure way to eliminate it is via claybar or claymitt/towel/pad. Not to mention, when the contaminants are bad enough to survive the buffing, it’s impossible for them to go unnoticed as it slows the process down considerably.

Light contaminants are nothing... But try to buff through heavy contaminants [for example an older vehicle that’s never been properly cared for] and you’ll be wishing you took the time to decontaminate 1st.

As far as the paint somehow not being able to get smooth? If it were me I’d keep going with plenty of lube and a Med. Grade Nanoskin Mitt until it got smooth.. It sounds pretty extreme from what you’re describing, all the more reason to fully knock it out. Once you’re done make sure to serve that Cadillac justice and lay down a solid layer of protection. Geterdun.[emoji1417]Thanks Eldo. I'll try the mit again this morning. Gonna top with PA Glasscoat cosmic v2....

SWETM
07-30-2018, 07:11 AM
Nice car :)

Do they deliver the Cadillac with some transportation wax? I think it's most common in the colder climates that they do that. If the car didn't get prep at the dealership it could be something like that. And it's just for the protection during the transportation so it's not any kind of finish to it. Know days they protect it with those plastic wraps. And think of that if they used that wrap. Could it be some glue left from it? If you do have access to a wax and grease remover or a strong tar remover or 3M adhisive remover. I would do a test spot with either one of those to see how it feels afterwards. Then you have the aggressive clay bar Meguiars C2100 and 3M perfect it clay bar that is very effective to remove contaminants.

Hope you get it sorted out.

/Tony

Goonie75
07-30-2018, 07:18 AM
Nice car :)

Do they deliver the Cadillac with some transportation wax? I think it's most common in the colder climates that they do that. If the car didn't get prep at the dealership it could be something like that. And it's just for the protection during the transportation so it's not any kind of finish to it. Know days they protect it with those plastic wraps. And think of that if they used that wrap. Could it be some glue left from it? If you do have access to a wax and grease remover or a strong tar remover or 3M adhisive remover. I would do a test spot with either one of those to see how it feels afterwards. Then you have the aggressive clay bar Meguiars C2100 and 3M perfect it clay bar that is very effective to remove contaminants.

Hope you get it sorted out.

/TonyThank you. SWETM. It's new but not that new. 2018. The wife Of the owner has driven it for a while now. I don't think it's glue remnants. I have the auto scrub mit by nano skin the medium grade. But I will look into the clay you mentioned. I'm going to take the meat to it again this morning. We will see how it goes. Otherwise I'm at a loss.

Thanks

Ryan

SWETM
07-30-2018, 07:27 AM
Yeah go with that mitt and lots of lube. Work in small area like you would polish and try to get just that spot cleaned to you are satisfied. As you say it's been driven before it would be cleaned during the this time. It's not certain that the contaminants has been removed. So test some different products and an iron remover would be a choice to test out also. Or as the other says the compound could remove it.

Mantilgh
07-30-2018, 08:59 AM
Are you seeing anything being picked by the regular clay?

If you don’t see the regular clay picking anything up now, it may be just a lot of tiny stone chips that you are feeling with the baggy test.

Goonie75
07-30-2018, 09:27 AM
Are you seeing anything being picked by the regular clay?

If you don’t see the regular clay picking anything up now, it may be just a lot of tiny stone chips that you are feeling with the baggy test.Thanks. And perhaps this is what is happening. Just used the mit again. Saw nada with the clay. Better but not glass like I like it. I'll just live with it in suppose. Just polish paint. Lol. Not much of a body man...

Thanks....

Ryan

TTQ B4U
07-30-2018, 09:35 AM
I'm not a Clay fan any longer. Nano mitts and sponges work much better IMO. That said, my process is usually a full wash and as I make my way around the vehicle, I rinse it off well then mist it with Purple Power degreaser APC mixed 50/50 and let it dwell for a few minutes. I then wash, rinse, Iron X, rinse. I then go around and make sure all rocker panels are clear of tar, etc. and will use a solvent to remove it where needed. Occasionally, I've had to do the same on horizontal surfaces. Once clear, I then complete the physical decon. When I'm done, it's smooth like glass and ready for the polisher. Side note....I do the same for glass.