PDA

View Full Version : Topper for speed

Pages : [1] 2

Rambro
07-29-2018, 12:34 PM
What are you guys topping speed with other than proxy? Does Wolfgang dgps play well with speed?

acuRAS82
07-29-2018, 01:08 PM
This has been debated. WGDGPS is one of those that some have stated does not last on Speed. Others have claimed/tested that most sealants done last... but others have had very good success with sealants on top.

Most claims for Collinite 845, and probably other waxes, do last as expected.

AllenK
07-29-2018, 01:14 PM
What if you went over the Speed with IPA or some other sort of surface prep?? HD Poxy would be the most logical choice,but I have read mixed reviews about it's durability as well.

acuRAS82
07-29-2018, 01:44 PM
I tried that, using WG Paint Prep Spray over Speed 4 days later, then applying PBL Sealant on top. No noticeable depreciation of the Sealant after 1 month, but then I started messing around with various toppers sprays, so I can’t state that the PBL Sealant alone is still going strong at 2 months, but the car still looks great and is beading great and at no point did I have any reason to believe the sealant or any toppers have been degraded due to Speed underneath

acuRAS82
07-29-2018, 01:49 PM
I probably should have mentioned the above in my first response, but I forgot about it until you mentioned IPA. If I had to guess, I would say that the Speed has not had a negative impact on the sealant. It’s not conclusive, but it’s my best hunch.

Rambro
07-29-2018, 02:26 PM
I have used poxy over speed on black and had some hazing. I will try the IPA, I am looking for longevity after using an AIO for light swirls and lightly faded paint on most of my customers daily drivers. (speed, blackfire, McKees and klasse is what I have now)

AllenK
07-29-2018, 02:46 PM
I probably should have mentioned the above in my first response, but I forgot about it until you mentioned IPA. If I had to guess, I would say that the Speed has not had a negative impact on the sealant. It’s not conclusive, but it’s my best hunch.

Well,as with anything,results may vary. I have found that very true in regards to detailing. I am glad that I saw WGDGPS does not play well with Speed. I had debated trying that combo.

Pats300zx
07-29-2018, 04:01 PM
HD Proxy is an excellent topper for Speed !!!

PaulMys
07-29-2018, 06:08 PM
If you were going to use WG Deep Gloss, I would just use HD Polish+, or any pure polish.

As for Speed toppers, 845 is great. 476s is even better.

damaged442
07-31-2018, 10:55 AM
I too top Speed with 845/476/915 with good results.

dlc95
07-31-2018, 10:58 AM
I have a weird tick where I don't like topping cleaner waxes with anything but a spray on.

Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, or Duragloss Aquawax would be great for that.

ducksfan
07-31-2018, 12:11 PM
Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, or Duragloss Aquawax would be great for that.

From my experience with using those two products, Sonax PNS or BSD might be better.

dlc95
07-31-2018, 05:18 PM
From my experience with using those two products, Sonax PNS or BSD might be better.

Possibly. I've never used any Sonax products, so I have no real world experience with them.

Paul A.
07-31-2018, 06:47 PM
I am still a big believer in staying within the family. I know you said "other than Poxy" but I would still want to extend the LSP characteristic of an AIO with the LSP they actually use in the formulation. If I wanted to test compatability with another LSP of an unknown or less agreeable product I would use a dedicated polish to split out the specifics of "cleaner/mild abrasive" and "LSP" for durability.

Rambro
08-01-2018, 09:45 AM
If I use menzerna polish should I wipe it down with IPA before wgdgps? Does the oils in the polish affect sealant adhesion ?