PDA

View Full Version : SSR3 Question

Pages : [1] 2

RPM06
07-11-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm still trying to find the right solution for my beat up '96 chevy pickup. I've tried XMT #2 and #1 which got ride of most of the marring and swirls but didn't get the deeper scratches. I've really been debating on whether I should wet sand it but wouldn't even know what grit of sand paper to use.

So before I go that route I've just purchased some Poorboy's SSR 3 to be used with my PC. My questions are:

1) Is this product only supposed to be used after a vehicle is wet sanded?

2) Is the PC capable of generating enough speed to break down this product? (I've read mixed reviews on this on the forum)

The trucks present paint condition is that it has a little oxidation, heavy swirling, and light scatches throughout.

Thx,
--Ralph--

Surfer
07-11-2006, 04:07 PM
I've heard mixed reviews as well on using SSR3 and PC. But I've had great success using Optimum Compound with the PC when everyone was saying it was better for a rotary so you never know lol. Scott os somebody else will chime in I'm sure.

gator1
07-11-2006, 04:36 PM
yes you can use the pc but you going to have to work slow.and i mean you spred 3 on 4 once it brakes down then go to 6. Have no fear i have done it a bunch of times.it works just take your time.
good luck.

BlackCoupe
07-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Can you catch your fingernail in the scratch? If so, you might be best leaving it alone. CLear coat is about the thickness of the cellophane on a cigarette package.

ScottB
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
SSR 3 is a compound and I have found it does not work best with a PC, but quite well with a rotary. If I was going to use a compound I would go to Optimum Hyper Compound or Menzerna's Powergloss first.

RPM06
07-11-2006, 08:06 PM
SSR 3 is a compound and I have found it does not work best with a PC, but quite well with a rotary. If I was going to use a compound I would go to Optimum Hyper Compound or Menzerna's Powergloss first.

Damn...they guy I spoke with from AG customer service told me that it would work fine with a PC. Now I have to eat shipping and send back. Guess I should check with the forum first next time. Thx Killer.

Can you tell me where I can buy Menzerna's Powergloss?

ScottB
07-11-2006, 08:33 PM
It'll break down, but I prefer the other compounds as easier for novice and professional to use. 3M supposedly makes a good compound, but I find their line to be very unfriendly.

Excessive Detail
07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Damn...they guy I spoke with from AG customer service told me that it would work fine with a PC. Now I have to eat shipping and send back. Guess I should check with the forum first next time. Thx Killer.

Can you tell me where I can buy Menzerna's Powergloss?

I just tried power gloss on my car a few days ago and it did pretty okay, i did notice it left a lot of hazing and was somewhat tuff to work with, i think it would work better with rotary, i wound up finishing with something else, but PG has a far amount of cut, and it is supposed to finish without hazing or any further polishing, maybe I just had bad luck. I got mine at properautocare.com. I'd maybe try ssr 2.5 and a cutting pad first and follow it with ssr 1 and a polishing pad, this combo has worked wonders for me on very rough finishes and a lot of people swear by it.

Surfer
07-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Optimum Compound works great, I found it relatively easy to use with the PC, little to no dusting, and even with an Edge Yellow cutting pad left barely any marring. I was really suprised at how well it finished down, still went over with Optimum Polish though.

SSR3 is some strong

RPM06
07-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Thx all for your feedback.
:cheers:

SVTContour
07-12-2006, 03:45 PM
What is the difference between Optimum Compound and Optimum Hyper Compound?

Surfer
07-12-2006, 03:50 PM
What is the difference between Optimum Compound and Optimum Hyper Compound?OHC is pretty agressive, more similar to SSR3 I would say. OC is kinda like a polish on steroids even though it's a compound if that makes sense. It finishes down like a polish but will do more correction then a normal polish like OP, whereas most compounds are generally going to leave some marring.

blkyukon
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
SSR3 is my go to aggressive polish and has always worked well for me with the PC.

The thing to remember is the pad can get gummed up rather quickly and cause some bad hazing, so make sure to keep your pads clean and it will work great.

Here is heavy oxidation removal with pc & SSR3 I did on a 92 truck
http://www.poorboysworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=127

and a video here removing bad swirls from the same truck

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/ (heavy swirl removal)

FloridaNative
07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
SSR3 is my go to aggressive polish and has always worked well for me with the PC.

The thing to remember is the pad can get gummed up rather quickly and cause some bad hazing, so make sure to keep your pads clean and it will work great.

Here is heavy oxidation removal with pc & SSR3 I did on a 92 truck
http://www.poorboysworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?t=127

and a video here removing bad swirls from the same truck

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/video/ (heavy swirl removal)

I have to tell you Black Yukon that I am a BIG fan of your work. Your videos are phenomenal. I have them bookmarked on my computer and watch them all the time. I hope some day to be as good a detailer as you! :cheers:

wytstang
07-13-2006, 10:40 AM
Pakshak didn't recomend using SSR3 and a PC he said it just didn't generate enough heat to break down the compound. He said is using a rotary then all day long, but he genearlly would suggest against it.