PDA

View Full Version : Log splitter

norris
07-27-2018, 02:59 AM
Hello guys,
Does one of you have experience with one of these Log splitters and can you tell me which is the best for household use??

hmardown
07-29-2018, 09:47 AM
Norris
I bought my log splitter in 2000 & split about 3 to 3 1/2 cord a year. and that's not counting the few times I lent it out to friends. I totally recommend you get a least 25 or 26 ton. occasionally I'll get a log I can't split. sometimes because it's hickory or just because it's a piece where 2 or 3 limbs & knots are. the one I bought was from home depot & at the time I think it was around $1000.. the only repair I've done is to replace the valve(the part that controls the piston going back & forth). it was 200- bucks, but real easy to change. I think it failed because I always leave it outside and rarely cover it. a couple of tips: get one that splits horizontal or vertical & try and split wood when it's green. in dead of winter wood is frozen & will split a lot easier. if you cut the wood & then let it age it gets harder to split as it dries out. how much wood will you burn in a season ?
Carlo