PDA

View Full Version : Input on Truck Detailing Process/product suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

DCKane328xi
07-25-2018, 12:23 PM
Hey Mike/everyone.

I recently purchased a '14 Silverado in silver ice metallic. The truck will be living outside, as the garage is full with other cars. I live in southeast michigan, so it will see salt/snow. The truck has bed liner but no other protective coatings that I am aware of. I will be buying a hard tonneau cover before winter to keep snow out of the bed and for convenience.

My main goal is to prevent the body from rusting. For a used vehicle the paint is in great shape. My biggest issue with detailing this truck is the size. It's huge, crew cab with 6'6" bed and I know it will take a while. I want to keep my process as simple and as affordable as possible since its not a garage queen.

Here is my current plan, any products noted in the list in bold are items I am planning to purchase, if there are better alternatives I'd love to hear them.

I do own a 6" GG orbital, but I need new foam pads, and those would increase my cost by like 60 bucks (assuming 3 for polish and 2 finishing?) If the consensus is that the time savings of the orbital is worth it, then I'll buy the pads and go that route, that's where I am looking for those with full size truck detailing experience.

2 bucket wash wheels and wheel wells using GG Brilliant Finish soap
Iron-X treatment on wheels
2 bucket wash GG brilliant finish soap
Rail dust removal/wash with Iron-X followed by a good rinse (ive got those little rust specks on the rockers)
Clay with fine grade clay and mother's instant detailer as lube Could use recommendation for microfiber for this, all mine are super old.
Dry
Hand apply Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion-could use rec for microfiber and hand applicators, do they make large applicators? truck is huge
Hand apply WDGPS- Is there a longer lasting sealant/coating than WDGPS in a similar price range, or will that be ok? could use microfiber/applicatior suggestions here too
Apply wheel wax
Apply fluid film to fender inners and lower inner door panels

I plan to do this late August/early september before fall is in full swing. I plan to spray down the underbody as often as possible in the winter.

Estimates for number of microfiber towels and applicators/foam pads from experienced truck detailers would be awesome, as I don't want to underbuy or overbuy. I am used to detailing sedans and a dodge dakota, thanks in advance.

infosponge
07-25-2018, 01:36 PM
IMO the time savings utilizing the buffer are worth it, especially if you already have the machine I do not hand apply sealants/waxes anymore now that I have a machine its much faster and I get a more even spread of product. I would look into a bulk pack (10-15) of quality MF towels that should give you enough to not have to run out doing a large truck exterior and leave a few for the interior cleaning. Also Meguiar's ultimate wheel cleaner is close to 9$ cheaper than Iron X in the autogeek store and is usually available locally I've used it on my paint undiluted multiple times and it worked great doing a decontamination wash and is a great wheel cleaner.

DCKane328xi
07-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Awesome, thanks for the input. Are costco microfiber safe? If not, are the microfiber on the autogeek outlet safe? I’ll buy a name brand if im best off, just curious. Do you think 3 pads for polish and 2 for finish will be enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infosponge
07-25-2018, 05:21 PM
I can't weigh in on the towels as I haven't tried either ones, I do really like the cobra towels but they are higher albeit they feel like a better quality towel. As far as pads imo I would go for 4+polish and 1 finish for your sealant/wax step. And really 4 is pushing it especially a big truck.

DCKane328xi
07-25-2018, 06:00 PM
Ok great, thanks a lot. Ill go for cobras if they're that solid; all my microfibers need to be replaced/demoted to wheels. Ill use them on my car/wifes car as well, so that will be money well spent.

Farmallluvr
07-25-2018, 06:41 PM
I'd say your on the way by what you and the advice from info sponge.
I cannot tell if your truck has mudflaps on it but if it doesn't I reccommend getting a set for the front and rear,factory style as long as you can.
These trucks throw a lot of road junk from the tires that chip and damage your finish.

DCKane328xi
07-25-2018, 07:17 PM
I
These trucks throw a lot of road junk from the tires that chip and damage your finish.

Thanks- I do have the factory option ones.

Do you have an opinion on replacing the factory rear wheel liner with a plastic liner like the one Husky Liners sell? I have heard mixed reviews. I guess the factory ones are quieter, but the husky liners are easier to rinse off and i believe they cover more of the frame than the factory ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Grab some Gold Plush MF towels in bulk here on AutoGeek.

Great all-purpose towels.

Farmallluvr
07-25-2018, 07:42 PM
I Can check tomorrow and let you know,,,the carpeted wheel wells are my nemisis,I have pulled them out,powerwashed them and they still won't come clean,,what a PITA.
I just get them as clean as I can anymore and paint them with semi-gloss black

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 07:54 PM
I Can check tomorrow and let you know,,,the carpeted wheel wells are my nemisis,I have pulled them out,powerwashed them and they still won't come clean,,what a PITA.
I just get them as clean as I can anymore and paint them with semi-gloss black

I've posted this before, but I still cannot fathom why manufacturers would even consider using this material for wheel wells.

minerigger
07-25-2018, 08:36 PM
Because it dampens road noise. What pads are you looking into getting? With the sale on AG right now you can get a 12 pack of lake country flats for $55. Or you can shop the sister site as they are running a 25% off sale at the moment. I have a large SUV and a extended cab long bed truck and there is no way I'd even try to polish either with only 6 pads...8 would be my minimum.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Because it dampens road noise. What pads are you looking into getting? With the sale on AG right now you can get a 12 pack of lake country flats for $55. Or you can shop the sister site as they are running a 25% off sale at the moment. I have a large SUV and a extended cab long bed truck and there is no way I'd even try to polish either with only 6 pads...8 would be my minimum.

Yeah, the dampening factor I am fully aware of. However, It's a truck. Ram and Ford do not have this material in their wells, and the road noise in both models is negligible at worst.

minerigger
07-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Well I dunno then, but us dumb dumbs keep buying them so I don't suspect they will stop using it

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 09:03 PM
Well I dunno then, but us dumb dumbs keep buying them so I don't suspect they will stop using it

Wasn't being rude, man.

Just my observations.

I own a Ram, and work at a Ford dealer.

Dr Oldz
07-25-2018, 09:52 PM
Hey Mike/everyone.

I recently purchased a '14 Silverado in silver ice metallic. The truck will be living outside, as the garage is full with other cars. I live in southeast michigan, so it will see salt/snow. The truck has bed liner but no other protective coatings that I am aware of. I will be buying a hard tonneau cover before winter to keep snow out of the bed and for convenience.

My main goal is to prevent the body from rusting. For a used vehicle the paint is in great shape. My biggest issue with detailing this truck is the size. It's huge, crew cab with 6'6" bed and I know it will take a while. I want to keep my process as simple and as affordable as possible since its not a garage queen.

Here is my current plan, any products noted in the list in bold are items I am planning to purchase, if there are better alternatives I'd love to hear them.

I do own a 6" GG orbital, but I need new foam pads, and those would increase my cost by like 60 bucks (assuming 3 for polish and 2 finishing?) If the consensus is that the time savings of the orbital is worth it, then I'll buy the pads and go that route, that's where I am looking for those with full size truck detailing experience.

2 bucket wash wheels and wheel wells using GG Brilliant Finish soap
Iron-X treatment on wheels
2 bucket wash GG brilliant finish soap
Rail dust removal/wash with Iron-X followed by a good rinse (ive got those little rust specks on the rockers)
Clay with fine grade clay and mother's instant detailer as lube Could use recommendation for microfiber for this, all mine are super old.
Dry
Hand apply Pinnacle paint cleansing lotion-could use rec for microfiber and hand applicators, do they make large applicators? truck is huge
Hand apply WDGPS- Is there a longer lasting sealant/coating than WDGPS in a similar price range, or will that be ok? could use microfiber/applicatior suggestions here too
Apply wheel wax
Apply fluid film to fender inners and lower inner door panels

I plan to do this late August/early september before fall is in full swing. I plan to spray down the underbody as often as possible in the winter.

Estimates for number of microfiber towels and applicators/foam pads from experienced truck detailers would be awesome, as I don't want to underbuy or overbuy. I am used to detailing sedans and a dodge dakota, thanks in advance.

1st Good luck with the new truck.. Awesome pic with the doggo!!

I would certainly suggest using the machine for the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing lotion and the application of the WG sealant(great sealant). Way way easier and time savings then by hand. I would personally use White LC 5.5 inch flat pads if you have a 5 inch backing plate for the polisher.
I would suggest that you also get a tar remover. Once you get close to the paint, you will find tar for sure.
Other suggestions are good above but shop around and wait for a sale if you can wait.
Don't feel you have to do it all in one day. Since it is your personal vehicle, plan on a few days so you don't kill yourself and have a little fun doing it.