PDA

View Full Version : Wiping polish after every section?

fightnews
07-25-2018, 08:03 AM
Why do you have to wipe polish immediately after you finish every section? I did a little experiment yesterday doing to sections then wiping the polish and there was no difference at all. It seems as long as you don't use to much its easy to wipe off even if you wait a while. Its faster and it helps you see what you've already done.

Is anyone else doing it this way?

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2018, 08:06 AM
There are some variables depending on the polish, the ambient conditions, etc., and whether you want to check as you're going to make sure it's coming out alright. Whatever works for you is fine.

supercharged75
07-25-2018, 08:06 AM
If you are doing it at your leisure I think it's fine. But if you are on a fine schedule you wipe to inspect and determine if additional passes are needed or if you need to change process for the new panel

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Desertnate
07-25-2018, 08:19 AM
I do it for two reasons.

1) Make sure I'm actually done. If I don't remove it, I can't a get a good look at the surface I just polished.
2) Saves me from making extra trips around the vehicle. I'm not a pro, but still hate wasted effort. I like to be completly finished with an area when I move on and not have to come back.

fightnews
07-25-2018, 08:21 AM
I do it for two reasons.

1) Make sure I'm actually done. If I don't remove it, I can't a get a good look at the surface I just polished.
2) Saves me from making extra trips around the vehicle. I'm not a pro, but still hate wasted effort. I like to be completly finished with an area when I move on and not have to come back.

I hear you but I'm only talking 2 sections at a time not even a whole panel. Just 2 2x2 squares

I can see the point about inspecting in some situations im only working on my own car that ive done a million times so I know the polish is working, i wouldnt need a second pass

Paul A.
07-25-2018, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with that i.e. wipe after 2 small sections. Provided I have dialed in what's going to give me the results I want from the test spots, I have a pretty good feeling those sections SHOULD look fine but I will still do a wipe and inspect of those 2 sections.

Eldorado2k
07-25-2018, 05:44 PM
Why do you have to wipe polish immediately after you finish every section?

The last time I tried this... I polished half the hood of a Denali, I figured eh why not keep going it’ll only take me a couple minutes tops to polish the other half.. By the time I went to wipe off the 1st half it was absolute murder to wipe off. I had to spray some Megs D114 to be able to get it off without possibly marring the paint.

M205 + black paint. Black paint tends be warmer at all times as you know.

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 05:58 PM
I will leave Speed on my entire truck before removal to let the Montan wax cure a bit. (Suggestion by Custmsprty). :xyxthumbs:

As for polishing with HDP+, or GG Creams, I always just remove them section by section when I'm done.

Using Meg's UP scared me into doing that...... Lol

Paul A.
07-25-2018, 08:41 PM
Good point, Paul, I always do the entire vehicle with my cleaner waxes/sealants before wiping off.