PDA

View Full Version : Brush or pad to wash truck?

Pages : [1] 2

Toro1966
07-24-2018, 11:32 PM
Hey all - Just got my new truck and the good ole two bucket method with chenille wash mitt was very difficult. I am a little vertically challenged soit made the top hood rear window, you name it - painful. Are there any good soft brushes or pads I can use on a pole and not scratch the surface. It is a dark blue truck so I definitely don't want to scratch it. Appreciate any advice.

Eldorado2k
07-24-2018, 11:40 PM
Have you thought about getting a step platform?

Toro1966
07-24-2018, 11:43 PM
Have two of those - to be truthful they are a pain in the butt and still have to make it to the middle of the roof/hood. Was really hoping to get a wash mop with extendable handle. Problem is most get bad reviews. Looking for one that definitely won't scratch and works well.

Eldorado2k
07-24-2018, 11:45 PM
Have two of those - to be truthful they are a pain in the butt and still have to make it to the middle of the roof/hood. Was really hoping to get a wash mop with extendable handle. Problem is most get bad reviews. Looking for one that definitely won't scratch and works well.

I have a couple of them myself and yea I hear you... I don’t know of any great brushes or mops but hopefully someone who does chimes in for you.

Finick
07-25-2018, 04:16 AM
Griots makes one that AG doesn’t carry. I’m not really sure if mentioning that is against the rules since AG carries griots products but not the wash mop in particular. If it is that’s my bad, and I’ll edit my post.

If you go to YouTube, auto fanatic has a couple videos talking about it. He loves the thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TTQ B4U
07-25-2018, 05:25 AM
Hey all - Just got my new truck and the good ole two bucket method with chenille wash mitt was very difficult. I am a little vertically challenged soit made the top hood rear window, you name it - painful. Are there any good soft brushes or pads I can use on a pole and not scratch the surface. It is a dark blue truck so I definitely don't want to scratch it. Appreciate any advice.

I use a really nice MicroFiber mitt that is on an extension pole. I bought it for when we had our van and it works great. I still use it on customer vehicles. No issues.

derass
07-25-2018, 08:57 AM
I'd get a boar's hair wash brush.

Montana Original Boar's Hair Car Wash Brushes is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. (https://www.autogeek.net/boar-s-hair.html)

Farmallluvr
07-25-2018, 09:13 AM
I wash the roof,windshield and back window with the brush,the rest is a mitt

WindyCity
07-25-2018, 03:59 PM
I'd get a boar's hair wash brush.

Montana Original Boar's Hair Car Wash Brushes is a soft, gentle car wash brush for cars, trucks, SUVs, and boats. (https://www.autogeek.net/boar-s-hair.html)

I have a 2500hd Silverado and just bought the triangle brush and highly recommend it. I can only reach about half of the hood so the brush with a telescoping handle is nice for the hood, windshield, and roof.

SWETM
07-25-2018, 04:08 PM
I think of DIY one with a pole and a mf chenille mitt. The ones I have looked at so far is the chenille strands to few. I want a safe and plush mf when touching the paint. The added weight with a pole stick and the useally mf wash mitt or mf wash pads I use. I think could ad to much pressure from the weight it self. So a chenille mitt I would get a more cussion I think.

One of these mitts. And sow close the hand opening and cut open one of the sides that touch the paint. Get some stretching lace and sow it in the opened cut. And get a pole stick and get the pad to fit in the chenille mitt. Maybe ad some foam on the pad to get a little more cussion to it. And that way also get the added foam over the edge to make it safer if bumping into something.

Would think that it was more options on pole sticks and different mf materials to chose from. And most it would be some high quality ones that are safe to wash with.

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 05:16 PM
Griots makes one that AG doesn’t carry. I’m not really sure if mentioning that is against the rules since AG carries griots products but not the wash mop in particular. If it is that’s my bad, and I’ll edit my post.

If you go to YouTube, auto fanatic has a couple videos talking about it. He loves the thing.

I have been looking at this as well. I wish AG carried it.

I'm thinking of just ordering it directly from Griots.

Finick
07-25-2018, 05:20 PM
I have been looking at this as well. I wish AG carried it.

I'm thinking of just ordering it directly from Griots.

I’ve considered it as well, or at least something similar. I like my boars hair brush, but the new mops with microfiber on them just look really interesting.

Plus I hate constantly bending over or squatting down to wash the lower parts of my car. When I drove my ram 1500 I used to dream about having a car, because washing the the roof, hood, and back windows was annoying. Now washing the lower 1/3 of my entire car is annoying... grass is always greener [emoji23]

PaulMys
07-25-2018, 05:44 PM
I’ve considered it as well, or at least something similar. I like my boars hair brush, but the new mops with microfiber on them just look really interesting.

Plus I hate constantly bending over or squatting down to wash the lower parts of my car. When I drove my ram 1500 I used to dream about having a car, because washing the the roof, hood, and back windows was annoying. Now washing the lower 1/3 of my entire car is annoying... grass is always greener [emoji23]

LOL

Yeah, the climbing, moving benches around to reach the high parts of the truck is really starting to wear on me.

Polishing/waxing is ok, because I'm in no hurry really. But trying to get a wash in as quick as possible to beat the sun, while doing all of that just suck$.

Finick
07-25-2018, 06:01 PM
LOL

Yeah, the climbing, moving benches around to reach the high parts of the truck is really starting to wear on me.

Polishing/waxing is ok, because I'm in no hurry really. But trying to get a wash in as quick as possible to beat the sun, while doing all of that just suck$.

Man, my old tuck was such a piece of junk. Idk why I spent as much time as I did washing it, lol. Thankfully my brush allowed me to wash everything except the roof from the ground.

Was a ‘98, had clearcoat failure all over it, and the dash was basically crumbling apart.

I remember taking a credit card to all the areas that had really bad failure, so I could scrape it off. Those were the days [emoji57] micro marring didn’t even exist in my world then.

I would take megs cleaner wax in the maroon bottle to the exposed base coat to give it some semblance of a shine, and after my washes I’d hit it with my water sprite.

Also remember hacking on Wesley’s bleche white before black magic took over and changed it. That stuff was awesome.

Farmallluvr
07-25-2018, 06:28 PM
LOL

I know what you mean,being I am almost 46 the whole balancing stretch act is getting old,I am 6ft1 and I stand on bucket to reach across the hoods of 2500 HD's and similar type vehicles,washing the roof with a brush is one thing but you still gotta dry it which sucks if the vehicle has no running boards.
One trick I use is to open the doors and then I am laying towels on the sill plates and carpet edge and stand on them to get me where I need to be.